Backlight failure

Soldato
So I bought a TV from richer sounds about 3.5 years ago. It's a Samsung 60ju6800 and recently the top 25% has started going dim. I've changed sources and the problem persists. I have emailed richer sounds this morn]ng, but while I'm waiting for a response, what is the likely outcome if anybody has gone down the warranty route before? It's an intermittent fault at well which is annoying, I'm also assuming it's edge lit rather than fald but there's not much info on the TV.

Cheers

Soldato
I've sent two items back through rs one was an lg tv, circa thirty days after leaving it with rs a letter came through from lg to say it couldn't be repaired.

The other was an optoma HD50 which got repaired in house and delivered back circa two to three weeks.

Did have a bit of hassle with the write off as they want to give me a cheaper new one thankfully it lacked hdmi connections of the old set, so technically got an slight upgrade ;)

Caporegime
If it's serviceable they will just swap out the panel or LED's (or both) depending on the TV, I would imagine. I once bought a TV that had a panel issue along the bottom inside the first year, they swapped out the entire panel. Samsung's were also fairly notorious for the capacitors on the power board dying leading to sets not switching on (just clicking) but I expect they will have sorted that by now, if not though a faulty power board could cause all sorts of different issues.

If it's not serviceable and in warranty then I expect they will just replace it with something roughly equivalent.

Soldato
OP
The main problem is that it's very intermittent, I think it's happened maybe twice in the last 2 weeks. As it does go away after a while I wonder if it's a 'warming'issue as both times its been first thing in a morning so possibly a bit cold. Is there anyway I can speed up the process as the engineer is coming on Wednesday and I don't want to waste his time.

Soldato
If it's serviceable they will just swap out the panel or LED's (or both) depending on the TV, I would imagine. I once bought a TV that had a panel issue along the bottom inside the first year, they swapped out the entire panel. Samsung's were also fairly notorious for the capacitors on the power board dying leading to sets not switching on (just clicking) but I expect they will have sorted that by now, if not though a faulty power board could cause all sorts of different issues.

If it's not serviceable and in warranty then I expect they will just replace it with something roughly equivalent.

I've had nothing but issues with Samsung capacitors over the years. I believe they must be using cheap parts on their panels. I've had 2 TV's die because of it outside warranty but within 5 years (one LED, one Plasma). On my 3rd Samsung TV (QLED) i took 5 year extended warranty because I fully expect it to die within 5 years like all my other Samsungs. I will not buy another Samsung TV for a very long time, I've been super dissapointed by them - not just their TV's but phones as well. I've come to the realization that Samsung is a cheap brand using aggressive marketing to make itself appear like a high end brand. Meanwhile I've actually also got a 7, almost 8 year old LG LCD TV and this one has never had a single issue and still going strong - putting Samsung to shame!

edit:

Just remembered about my experiences with PC monitors. I've still got, but rarely used anymore 10 years old 23 inch LG LCD monitor - again no issues at all! About 6 years ago I bought a 4k Samsung 27 inch LCD monitor, the panel had major defects out of the box and had to go back - I just asked for a refund. My main PC is now using a ASUS monitor.

In summary: Samsung uses cheap components and has cheap quality control

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've got a Samsung TV that's been going strong for about 10 years now so they're not all bad, the model I had before it wasn't too good though.. it's the one that had panel failure and later a power board failure.

Soldato
I've got a Samsung TV that's been going strong for about 10 years now so they're not all bad, the model I had before it wasn't too good though.. it's the one that had panel failure and later a power board failure.

Likewise.

I bought my current Samsung Plasma on 1/12/2009, so a shade under 10 years old and it still gives a brilliant picture.

Certainly doesn't owe me anything if it suddenly goes pop.

Soldato
OP
Bad nnews, looks like they've ordered a screen. He did say they normally cost 350 quid:eek:. I'm surprised they are that much. I was really hoping to snag a 65 inch telly:p.

Caporegime
Well that's still a good outcome to be honest it's the most advanced part of the TV and like you said expensive, the rest of the TV is just casing with a few circuit boards etc.

Soldato
I don't know what john lewis's strategy is, but if Richer took away the tv and fixed it in a repair centre, that gives me more confidence about repair quality ...
giving you a temp.. maybe its offset by the risk they otherwise damage sets if they take them away.

[ Panels are more like sub £200, and, seems they rekon too, oled will be similar price in 18months, which probably partly explains samsung going back in ]

Soldato
yes I appreciate that
... I've taken apart bedroom philips 26", 3-4 times, on the kitchen table for a tcon board change, earlier posts ... you need a dam good lighting source and space to work ..
not sure where I'd dismantle a 55

Soldato
OP
yes I appreciate that
... I've taken apart bedroom philips 26", 3-4 times, on the kitchen table for a tcon board change, earlier posts ... you need a dam good lighting source and space to work ..
not sure where I'd dismantle a 55
I'm sure they know what they're doing. I'm guessing it easier to transport a backlight, than trying to package up a fully telly. Maybe they will bring a foldout table:p.

Back
Top Bottom