What film did you watch last night?

Permabanned
Blade Runner 2049

I've been meaning to get round to watching this since it appeared on Netflix. It opens solidly. It has a lot of the aesthetic of the original and there is a deep sense of foreboding and menace about it. An hour in and I'm thinking this is a must see movie: it has a slowness about it - and confidence in that slowness - that is rare in modern films. It wants you to pay attention. It wants you to give it time and concentration. I like that. Unfortunately, as the plot unfolds the film gradually fails to live up to its promise, from an unconvincing - if beautifully stylised - villain through an ultimately empty plot and an unsatisfying (in scripting, not acting) turn from the old guard, it ends up feeling like a missed opportunity. I was taken in by the major plot twist and there is a lovely attention to detail at times but whereas the original Blade Runner has a deep philosophical question (what really makes us human?) at its heart, this movie doesn't really seem to be more than a shallow jaunt through the world of the original.

Some high points, and wonderful style, but a disappointing 6/10 in the end.

Lovely review mate!

Despite it being quite possibly my favourite Sci Fi film in donkeys years, I can't really say that I disagree with anything you wrote... It's all in where you're standing I guess.

Soldato
Terminator: Dark Fate (2019) - 8/10

It may be the same old Terminator story, but it’s an enjoyable and exciting ride.

The action scenes are great, full of energy and explosive special effects, the androids look superb, the acting is pretty good and the throwback references are a nice touch.

The basic plot doesn’t get bogged down in its dialogue, and although it is quite predictable, it’s still thrilling and even a little bit funny at times.

I watched it as well yesterday evening. Thought it was ok with decent action and not bad acting and story... Except one particular major plot point that just didn't make sense whatsoever.

6.5/10 from me mainly because of what I mentioned above..
May have deserved an extra point for the naked Mexican cop beatdown scene, WOW Mackenzie Davis has an incredible athletic physique and amazing rear! :o:

Caporegime
6.5/10 from me mainly because of what I mentioned above..
May have deserved an extra point for the naked Mexican cop beatdown scene, WOW Mackenzie Davis has an incredible athletic physique and amazing rear! :o:

I'd be surprised if that was her, usually have a stand in for those scenes.

Man of Honour
Two Netflix horrors:

In the Tallgrass - 1/10. Just annoying. Gave up.

Eli - 5/10. Some fun spooky scenes but all characters apart from Eli, the actor being pretty good for a kid, are annoying/2D. Point added for a very sudden and amusing death towards the end :p point deducted for the out of nowhere conclusion.

Really not very good...

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I though Eli was pretty poor. Shame as it had promise.

Just finished Hobbs and Shaw. Lol. Ridiculous. Over the top. Unbelievable. But as a brain off action fest it wasn't terrible .

Soldato
ZombieLand 2 - 6/10 - Whilst it's good to catch up to the gang a decade later this sequel is just missing "something", like all the jokes are still funny and the story is OK but there's a spark missing which the first one had. It's still OK and made me laugh a lot but it just didn't hit all the right notes for me. The Credits scene however is awesome!

Soldato
Terminator: Dark Fate. 7/10

A good reboot/sequel and far better than the last 3 films, which this ignores.

It really felt like a T2 sequel, in terms of the look and direction/production.

Soldato
Blade Runner 2049

I've been meaning to get round to watching this since it appeared on Netflix. It opens solidly. It has a lot of the aesthetic of the original and there is a deep sense of foreboding and menace about it. An hour in and I'm thinking this is a must see movie: it has a slowness about it - and confidence in that slowness - that is rare in modern films. It wants you to pay attention. It wants you to give it time and concentration. I like that. Unfortunately, as the plot unfolds the film gradually fails to live up to its promise, from an unconvincing - if beautifully stylised - villain through an ultimately empty plot and an unsatisfying (in scripting, not acting) turn from the old guard, it ends up feeling like a missed opportunity. I was taken in by the major plot twist and there is a lovely attention to detail at times but whereas the original Blade Runner has a deep philosophical question (what really makes us human?) at its heart, this movie doesn't really seem to be more than a shallow jaunt through the world of the original.

Some high points, and wonderful style, but a disappointing 6/10 in the end.
Yep to sum up it's boring as watching paint dry ;)

Soldato
I didn't feel like 2049 even explored the world of the original. The futuristic city feeling replaced with baron wasteland that was more Ghosts of Mars than Blade Runner. It's good to try new things in sequels but that seemed like a budget cut decision to me.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Joker in local Cineworld. The room was full, terribly calibrated, unsharp projector running at less than 50%, bleak and dim on the screen too narrow for the format and the whole lot was not centred properly, even the title at the beginning was cut on one side. That's my last ever visit to that venue.

Superbly acted, grittily scripted, harshly filmed origin story nobody ever asked for. It has Oscar laurels written all over it and repeat watchability of an Oscar winner - be it Chicago or Les Miserables, you get the picture. I appreciated the acting, the format, the take on the story and found the idea of superhero universe meets Se7en-like-grunge refreshing but now that it's done - I hope no one makes another one - one was enough and I'll never watch it again. 8/10 first viewing, 5/10 if I had to see it again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aliens - 9.5/10

Still one of the all time great sci-fi/action movies. Hard to believe it's now 33 years old although especially on big screen TV one or two of the SFX are starting to look dated.

Packed with one liners delivered with great panache by the ensemble cast - "Breakfast in bed", "Game over man", "They mostly come at night, mostly..."

The only downer is that the advent of the AvP movies and the two Alien prequels have retconned things a little bit. Weyland Yutani actually knew all about the Xenomorph thanks to their involvement with the Predators and it is inconceivable they had no telemetry from the ships in Prometheus and Covenant. You also start to see the great big plot holes, mainly what sort of operation would not have left a second squad on the ship in orbit (which itself would have been piloted by space-naval crew) or committed all the ground forces in one push when they found the colonist PDT's. You begin to think the "Company" requested the most dysfunctional platoon with an inexperienced Lt. (Gorman) just so it would all go wrong. Cameron forgot one of the most basic rules of combat engagement - no plan survives first contact with the enemy!

Just how did the Queen manage to lay two eggs on the Sulaco and surely to god, Ripley would have searched the ship from bow to stern for any contamination before going into hypersleep and the subsequent events of Alien 3 which completely undid all the efforts of Aliens?

Still a great guilty pleasure movie, kicked back on the recliner with a beer or two.

Associate
9 Miles Down - 7/10 , it was either this or 5 headed shark attack on prime.
Pretty decent psychological horror , not much of a budget but didnt really need one , definateley worth a watch.

Back
Top Bottom