• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Hot memory RX 5700

Soldato
So I'm kinda new to actually having modern hardware inside my PC and am unsure if a 100 degree memory temp is right... or even if MSI Afterburner is reporting right on Navi cards?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-009-ak.html

Does anyone know if I should be ramping up my fan curve even more of if that's normal? :D

cxvxcv.png
fgdfgd.png

Associate
The memory should only go to around 86c on the 5700 series. However Hardware Unboxed (Australian YouTube channel) recently reviewed the Asus TUF Gaming which was hitting 104c as it had a terrible heat spreader covering the memory but with no fins to dissipate heat. I don't think they have reviewed your specific Asrock model yet (they mainly reviewed the high end coolers from various manufacturer) but all the others besides the Asus TUF Gaming peaked at maximum 86c like the reference AMD cards.

Permabanned
So I'm kinda new to actually having modern hardware inside my PC and am unsure if a 100 degree memory temp is right... or even if MSI Afterburner is reporting right on Navi cards?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-009-ak.html

Does anyone know if I should be ramping up my fan curve even more of if that's normal? :D

cxvxcv.png
fgdfgd.png

I'd change it to something like that, the fan can stop when the temperatures are low. There is no need to spin all the time at 20% or more.

Fan-Curve-Radeon-RX-5700.png

Soldato
OP
Ok, I'll re-wangle the curve.
Makes sense.

I did just discover though that there's a difference between mining and gaming when it comes to memory temps.
10 minutes of mining was giving me the crazy temps.
But I just ran Superposition twice back to back and the memory temps never got higher than mid-70s.

Hmmmm.......

Soldato
Ok, I'll re-wangle the curve.
Makes sense.

I did just discover though that there's a difference between mining and gaming when it comes to memory temps.
10 minutes of mining was giving me the crazy temps.
But I just ran Superposition twice back to back and the memory temps never got higher than mid-70s.

Hmmmm.......
Isn't mining no different to running a intensive benchmark 24/7? It's an unrealistic usage of the gpu as it will never technically hit 100% all the time?

Soldato
OP
Isn't mining no different to running a intensive benchmark 24/7? It's an unrealistic usage of the gpu as it will never technically hit 100% all the time?

Well, I just figured that using a GPU at full oomph (regardless of mining or graphical benchmarking) would be identical.
Now I've learned that's not exactly the case. Memory seems to be getting slammed much harder in mining. Who knew? :D

Soldato
Well, I just figured that using a GPU at full oomph (regardless of mining or graphical benchmarking) would be identical.
Now I've learned that's not exactly the case. Memory seems to be getting slammed much harder in mining. Who knew? :D

Yeah, absolutely not, for example.... run furmark with x8AA and the card is much cooler at say 30fps, than with no AA running at 150fps. Both running at 99%

Soldato
OP
I read the readme and tried the command line, but it seems that my RX 5700 doesn't like being told what to do by a miner.

So instead I just dialed back the memory frequency by 50mhz in MSI Afterburner and that's keeping my temps lower than 100 while having no effect at all on the hash rate :)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
For the sake or a few kilohashes, your better off finding the best power per hash and keeping the cards both cool and less stressed. If its done from undervolting, lowering intensity or improving your airflow you will not have as many issues. When you red line the hardware all it takes is the latest miner version to throw it off and you end up losing because of more downtime.

Back
Top Bottom