• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700 dilemma – are the drivers as bad as they say?

Associate
OP
Has anybody tried the new 19.10.2 drivers?
Is it fine wine or sour grapes?

I am still undecided. My Red Devil sits in its unopened box - I very nearly bought a Gigabyte Gaming OC 2700 Super last night instead - but I guess deep down I'm hopeful the driver issues will be resolved.

Soldato
They can be bad yes, had 3 so far, 1st were rock solid, second update constantly crashing, 3rd update rock solid until my red devil died :s

Soldato
Has anybody tried the new 19.10.2 drivers?
Is it fine wine or sour grapes?

I am still undecided. My Red Devil sits in its unopened box - I very nearly bought a Gigabyte Gaming OC 2700 Super last night instead - but I guess deep down I'm hopeful the driver issues will be resolved.
There was a bug that caused crashing when Enhanced Sync was forced through Radeon Settings, this has now been fixed. This may be responsible for some of the horror stories. However, those having issues are very much in the minority, use separate power cables for the GPU (don't daisy chain) and you should be fine. Please try the card, it is a great card and I will very surprised if you are not extremely happy with it. The Red Devil is one of the best you can buy.

Associate
OP
Why don't you try it? If you find the drivers to be bad (I haven't on nitro+) then send it back under 14 day long distance selling rules?

The 14 days is up on Thursday, and I still have the rest of the system to buy. The goods have to be returned unopened, so trying it isn't really an option unless I'm going to keep it.

use separate power cables for the GPU (don't daisy chain) and you should be fine.
I've also upped the spec on the power supply as well as it seems powering them correctly is quite key for stability

They can be bad yes, had 3 so far, 1st were rock solid, second update constantly crashing, 3rd update rock solid until my red devil died :s

How are you finding the RMA process, I saw a thread on here that Powercolor seem to be a bit difficult to deal with?

Associate
my 5700 non xt works as expected in everything but Chivalry Medieval Warfare. Tested over 20 other games, no issues. I've had it for 2 months, Wattman doesn't crash like it used too. I'd look at Newegg verified purchases if you want to see issues people have had or not had. Seems like most cards radeon cards get 4/5 stars. Take that for what you will. The drivers have come a long way since release. If you don't mind the possibility of having to fight with bugs or waiting for patches.... Really I would check out what games you like to play, maybe go to their forums and see what people are saying. If you want me to test certain games list them and if I can get a hold of them I'll try them out.

Remember to look at the driver notes for known issues. I have no problem ocing. I just use Wattman and GPU-Z, sometimes other programs like AB conflict. On my water loop(50 gallon tote) I'm about 19% above stock.

And this thread is probably something you want to look at, id go to the end and work my way backwards due to new drivers.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-radeon-rx-5700-xt-owners-thread.18859271/

Associate
I’ve just purchased (but not opened) a Red Devil 5700xt, but I’ve read a lot of horror stories regarding stability and driver issues with Navi, especially in older dx9 titles and unreal engine based games. I would normally take things with a pinch of salt, but there does seem to be more than a few isolated reports.

I have quite a few older games I would like to play, and many based on UE3 and UE4.

Would I be better off returning the card for something like a 2070 Super (assuming these are not still self destructing).

Has anybody had success with their 5700 on older dx9 games specfically?

I bought a sapphire 5700 card from Ocuk all I found was games crashing and stutters, people say under volt the card etc but I shouldn't have to. AMD have literally made a card that is not fit for purpose in my eyes, sure in 12-18 months time it will be all fixed after 30 odd driver updates but I'm too old now to wait for that crap to happen time is precious to me. I want to get in after a long days work and play my games with no hassle. Before any says I am an Nvidia fan boy, I have had AMD cards in the past RX 480/RX 580 and they were fine. Anyway I returned it to Ocuk and got full refund stuck with my GTX 1070 and everything works fine.

Associate
OP
Really I would check out what games you like to play, maybe go to their forums and see what people are saying. If you want me to test certain games list them and if I can get a hold of them I'll try them out.
I checked out the forums and the owners thread, but after I had already bough the card - it was only after seeing all the driver issues and problems with older titles I started to panic.

I understand UT engine based games suffer - e.g. https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/ I'd be grateful if you could give that one a go, it is free.
If you have any titles based on the Unreal 3 Engine, they would also be good to try.

Did you buy it from a traditional shop then?

No online from the usual suspects, but via an ebay shop, 30 days return if faulty, 14 days cooling off if returned unopened standard Ts & Cs apply.
I did it that way as I had a voucher to use which brought it down to £400, which seemed a good deal at the time.

AMD have literally made a card that is not fit for purpose in my eyes, sure in 12-18 months time it will be all fixed after 30 odd driver updates but I'm too old now to wait for that crap to happen time is precious to me. I want to get in after a long days work and play my games with no hassle.

This is basically what I'm worried about and seems a common theme from what I've read - I'm sure it will get fixed at somepoint, maybe - but I'm at the stage of life now where I don't really want to fiddle about to get it to work. Building a new system around this, I just want stability and reliability for a few years.

I was thinking that there was a lot more potential mileage in Navi, being a newer platform and especially if it gets used in the console market.
Whereas Nvidias current 20xx line-up is, I understand, nearing end of life and probably not going to be their main priority next year.

However, the big concern for me is how much effort they will put into fixing issues with older titles, and how quickly they iron out the bugs.
I could live with performance hits in a few games, but when you see multiple issues with BSOD when browsing in Chrome - it doesn't inspire confidence.

I really want the AMD card to be a success, from a point of principle, but not sure I'm prepared to sacrifice the ability to use my brand new computer just to avoid Nvidia Tax.

Associate
I checked out the forums and the owners thread, but after I had already bough the card - it was only after seeing all the driver issues and problems with older titles I started to panic.

I understand UT engine based games suffer - e.g. https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/ I'd be grateful if you could give that one a go, it is free.
If you have any titles based on the Unreal 3 Engine, they would also be good to try.

No online from the usual suspects, but via an ebay shop, 30 days return if faulty, 14 days cooling off if returned unopened standard Ts & Cs apply.
I did it that way as I had a voucher to use which brought it down to £400, which seemed a good deal at the time.

This is basically what I'm worried about and seems a common theme from what I've read - I'm sure it will get fixed at somepoint, maybe - but I'm at the stage of life now where I don't really want to fiddle about to get it to work. Building a new system around this, I just want stability and reliability for a few years.

I was thinking that there was a lot more potential mileage in Navi, being a newer platform and especially if it gets used in the console market.
Whereas Nvidias current 20xx line-up is, I understand, nearing end of life and probably not going to be their main priority next year.

However, the big concern for me is how much effort they will put into fixing issues with older titles, and how quickly they iron out the bugs.
I could live with performance hits in a few games, but when you see multiple issues with BSOD when browsing in Chrome - it doesn't inspire confidence.

I really want the AMD card to be a success, from a point of principle, but not sure I'm prepared to sacrifice the ability to use my brand new computer just to avoid Nvidia Tax.

Yea that was another thing I forgot to mention I got crashes when watching YouTube videos on chrome.

Personally I'd stay away from the navi cards for now, who knows maybe in 12 months time they will be fine.

Associate
Lucky me both my navis are doing just fine. Tho, i got my first one a month after initial release, so started with 19.9.2. Jumped from 9.2, 9.3, and currently at 19.10.1. All three worked/works fine on both. May have to install latest driver this weekend on both.

BTW, i do not use DDU, Never had to disable Hardware Acceleration. I just use normal windows uninstall and install new driver using Express method only. Also, i don't use any third party app like afterburner except HWINFO64. Zero issues. Both are reference and opted to stay on air. Goes without saying that i normally undervolt them using Wattman, which wonderfully saves the settings even after reboots or shutdown.

Soldato
14 days cooling off if returned unopened standard Ts & Cs apply.

This is just not true, of course you can open the goods, how else would you inspect them in the first place? And, upon using the goods if they dont meet your expectations (for whatever reason really) you can send them back for a full refund. Have a look at the long distance selling regulations.

Permabanned
I've already bought the card, I just haven't unboxed it as I don't have the rest of my system and I'm still within the "cooling off period" - hence the dilemma.

I would normally write off a small number of complaints as the usual noise you get with any product - but there does seem to be a theme of reoccurring issues, even highlighted on here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33077909

I game every day with a 5700XT Red Devil & while the Wattman package isn't perfect with as an example it not recording well in a lot of games that is something they're obviously ironing out, As far as a plug it in & play it's been faultless. I don't mess around with overclocking as a rule so unless that's your thing you'll likely be fine.

I've been playing these games without issue recently, Fallout 4, Dying Light, Civilization 6, Dirt Rally 2, STALKER Call of Pripyat & STALKER Call of Chernobyl.

I haven't used software like Afterburner etc lately either. I keep things as simple as possible & it's been a hassle free experience with my Navi card.

Last edited:
Associate
This is just not true, of course you can open the goods, how else would you inspect them in the first place? And, upon using the goods if they dont meet your expectations (for whatever reason really) you can send them back for a full refund. Have a look at the long distance selling regulations.

I'll link you a post I made a while back that quoted Bailey's response to this topic. Unfortunately he never responed to the question in my post.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32354399/

Soldato
I'll link you a post I made a while back that quoted Bailey's response to this topic. Unfortunately he never responed to the question in my post.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32354399/

And a direct quote from the link bailey provided is... "A deduction can be made if the value of the goods has been reduced as a result of you handling the goods more than was necessary."

You have to open a box in order to check it meets what was shown on the website you bought the item from.

You have to put it into your system in order to check it works as expected.

I totally believe that a deduction is reasonable if there is nothing wrong with the item and you just changed your mind and want to return it... but if there is an actual reason, then... nahhhh.

Associate
And a direct quote from the link bailey provided is... "A deduction can be made if the value of the goods has been reduced as a result of you handling the goods more than was necessary."

You have to open a box in order to check it meets what was shown on the website you bought the item from.

You have to put it into your system in order to check it works as expected.

I totally believe that a deduction is reasonable if there is nothing wrong with the item and you just changed your mind and want to return it... but if there is an actual reason, then... nahhhh.

My bad, I misread what you put. I thought you were doing the try before you buy and if you don't like it send it back, not if the drivers are pants and it acts in a way not as described (aka at fault) then send it back. Dunno how *facepalm*

I'd imagine they'd probably still turn round and say there's nothing wrong with the card, it's a software issue so you'd be returning a 'perfect' card and hit you with a restocking fee, end up going round and round and round arguing it.

Soldato
My bad, I misread what you put. I thought you were doing the try before you buy and if you don't like it send it back, not if the drivers are pants and it acts in a way not as described (aka at fault) then send it back. Dunno how *facepalm*

I'd imagine they'd probably still turn round and say there's nothing wrong with the card, it's a software issue so you'd be returning a 'perfect' card and hit you with a restocking fee, end up going round and round and round arguing it.

Maybe, but if the buyer has done everything in his power to make sure everything works, then it must be the drivers with that systems make up. If the seller cannot prove that they have tested the card in the exact system as you have, doing the exact same things as you do, under the same circumstances... then I don't know how they could say its not the drivers.

I see what you are saying, and I'm sure on both sides there are openings for abuse, but, if we simply talk from an honest perspective the seller should side with the buyer... its not like their profit margin does not include such rare cases.

This is pretty much why its best to buy from a worthwhile company... though ebay would likely side with the buyer anyway, esp if you are honest and have a clean account etc.

Soldato
How are you finding the RMA process, I saw a thread on here that Powercolor seem to be a bit difficult to deal with?

It's 100% awful and it's doing my head in, It's been over 2 weeks now, and it's taken 2 weeks for OCUk to tell me whereabouts in the world my card is. Can't get a response for powercolor at all, comms with them is like a blackhole. I'm never gonna buy another powercolor product, I'll be done with OCUk if this carries on much longer. £450 to be sat here with no card, no thx. I hear EVGA are the best rma wise, so I wish I'd bought an EVGA 2070 super, I just want a refund now tbh. Comp sucks with no freesync goodness in games ;(

Dreading what I'm going to be sent back too. Brand new card, my one fixed, or someone elses fixed? hurm :s

Associate
So I

I let the game auto detect settings, I played at 1080p, my native resolution. My monitor is 144 hz, I set the FPS cap to 249. For the most part I got 149 FPS. AMD 2600 4.1 ghz, ddr3 cl16 3200 16 gig ram water cooled. GPU 5700 non xt, water cooled, I used the basic OCing that comes with wattman. Slid everything to max. First time playing UT, now I know why people compared some of the combat mechanics to DNF. About 15 minutes of gameplay.

Hardware Acceleration was a known issue for any web browser, it was fixed a long time ago. You simply had to uncheck it in your browser settings. Enhanced sync was another known issue. Both issues were eventually in the driver notes as known and then fixed issues. That's what was crashing YT. When it started happening it took me all but 5 minutes to google the fix. Here are the latest driver notes. I can't say you won't have any problems.

p.s. Upscaled res to 1440p the game bugged, then I alt f4 out. Reloaded the game and the fps was about the same as 1080p. Maybe smoother? Upscaled 4k I got like 70 fps. VSR upscaling does this the first time you upscale some games, then after a reload you don't have it happen again.

"
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.10.2 Highlights

Support For

• Call of Duty™: Modern Warfare
    • With ultra presets on the Radeon™ RX 5700 XT, achieve up to 18% better performance playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 edition 19.10.2 than with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.10.1. RS-322
  • The Outer Worlds™
    • With very high presets on the Radeon™ RX 5700 XT, achieve up to 8% better performance playing The Outer Worlds with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 edition 19.10.2 than with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.10.1. RS-321
  • Chernobylite™ Early Access
Fixed Issues

• Launching League of Legends™ may cause the display to remain blank for a few seconds.
  • Radeon Chill may create an incorrect registry entry when enabled or disabled.
  • Borderlands 3™ may experience an application hang after running the in-game benchmark or changing resolutions.
  • Flicker may be experienced while playing media in Movies and TV application when using some displays connected via USB Type-C.
  • Some Radeon RX Vega and Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products may intermittently experience a thread stuck crash or TDR when there is a high GPU load active.
Known Issues

• The Outer Worlds may experience character models being rendered incorrectly on the inventory screen.
  • Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products may experience stutter in some games at 1080p and low game settings.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay may cause stutter or screen flashing on some applications.
  • Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products may experience display loss when resuming from sleep or hibernate when multiple displays are connected.
  • Toggling HDR may cause system instability during gaming when Radeon ReLive is enabled.
  • Stutter may be experienced when Radeon FreeSync is enabled on 240hz refresh displays with Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
  • AMD Radeon VII may experience elevated memory clocks at idle or on desktop.
Important Notes

• AMD Ryzen™ Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics FAQ for Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition can be found here.
Footnotes
  • RS-321, Testing conducted by AMD Performance Labs as of October 24, 2019, using a test system comprising of Intel Core i9-9900K CPU (3.6GHz), 16GB DDR4-3200MHz memory, the Radeon™ RX 5700XT graphics card and Windows 10 x64 with Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.10.1, and 19.10.2. PC manufacturers may vary configurations, yielding different results. Running The Outer Worlds at very high presets (1440p) on the Radeon™RX 5700XT, with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.10.2 scored 54.8 FPS, while 19.10.1 scored 50.8 FPS showing an 8% uplift driver over driver.
  • RS-322, Testing conducted by AMD Performance Labs as of October 24, 2019, using a test system comprising of Intel Core i9-9900K CPU (3.6GHz), 16GB DDR4-3200MHz memory, the Radeon™ RX 5700 XT graphics card and Windows 10 x64 with Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.10.1, and 19.10.2. PC manufacturers may vary configurations, yielding different results. Playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare at ultra presets (1080p) on the Radeon™RX 5700XT, with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.10.2 scored 125.9 FPS, while 19.10.1 scored 107 FPS showing an 18% uplift driver over driver.
"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom