Advice on issue with PCie socket

Associate
I have just been trying to do a gpu upgrade in my Asus X99 based system and after taking the old gpu out the retention clip for pcie socket has broken off it looks to have been getting warm or something as it is discolored where it has snapped off . I will be replacing my current gpu with the Asus strix RTX 2070 Super that has just arrived.

I take it I will have to replace the mobo as I am guessing due to the weight of the new card I need the gpu to be held in place by this clip as well as the 2 screws at the back of the case.

Soldato
You probably have another x16 slot that you could use for the Card? There should be at least one other that will run at full x16 speed, unless you have a cpu with fewer lanes like the 5820.

Apart from that, I've known people to install cards without the retention clip and not have any problems.

Don
I take it I will have to replace the mobo as I am guessing due to the weight of the new card I need the gpu to be held in place by this clip as well as the 2 screws at the back of the case.

Not at all - the retention clip is just to stop the GPU from physically coming out of the slot.

Ideally heavy cards need to be supported at then end with the power connectors, this can be done in a few ways e.g. fishing line to pull the card upward, but the easiest way it with Lego or something similar

Have a quick google of "lego gpu support" for ideas

Back
Top Bottom