Projekt J0keЯ

Soldato
Hey all, first time in about a decade I am doing a full on project and finally moving away from my old lovely custom tj-07, you can find the first refit of that here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/project-magus-refit.18272137/ Since then it had a new rad in the front (hdd's moved to a server) and gpu changes etc but nothing major.

New project is going to be in a Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic in white.
First time I will be spray painting things myself.
3 x 360 rads, UV strips, RGB Fans/CPU Block/RAM/Motherboard.
UV coolant, helix reservoir, clear tubing, black fittings, shiny backplates etc.

Wanted to move away from my red/black/white highlights color scheme, and avoid some of the main trends of RGB rainbow puke on everything. I still love UV.
I decided I really liked the UV Purple coolant from mayhems, then couldn't think of anything to go with it except for green due to "The Joker". Thus, the scheme for this was born.

My plan is to spray the fans blades and housing, one fluorescent green, one fluorescent purple. Not sure which way round yet. Leaving gaps where the LED's go on the two sets of fans that are RGB. Spray the outer housing on the rads in a metal effect to hopefully get them reflective a bit.

UV lighting on all the time since I couldn't find good strips which connected via anything other than molex.
RGB, on mobo/cpu/ram probably linked to system data like load/temp unless they are too bright and over bearing in which case I might put some strips in the roof for this effect through the vents.
Fan RGB set to react to music/sound depending on how that works in modern software, and preferably flashing white, although that might change once i get it set up and can see what options look like etc.

Rear side panel and top I am spraying black, as I want the outside largely black, just the internals outlined in white. I am currently approaching artists I know to get someone to do some fancy joker related design on the rear side panel - if anyone is an artist and would like to be commissioned to do this, let me know. Etching something on the glass panel is also an option.

IF a full cover block gets released for the mobo, then I will get that later, I also have the blocks for WC on the RAM due to getting them basically for free with an order but I expect to not use them due to RGB on the RAM i have.

Hardware:
r9 3900x
Asus Crosshair VIII wifi
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 c16
512gb Corsair mp510 force M.2ssd
2TB Intel 660p m.2 ssd
2 x EVGA 980ti SC (going to see how they run and then maybe upgrade them, prices will come down in mean time :) )
Silverstone 1500w PSU
Cable mod extension set in white.
2 x thermochil 360 rads
1 x EK slim 360 rad
(one fat and one slim 240 rads spare if i need the space)
Laing d5 pwm pump in monsoon MMRS casing in black
Alphacool Eisbecher helix res - green
EK-Scalar Dual 3-Slot Graphics Card Link Connector - Plexi
EK Supremacy EVO RGB Plexi/nickel
EK FC blocks and backplates in Nickel/acetel
EK compression fittings in black
Corsair COmmander Pro
Corsair RGB Fan Controller
Lamptron FlexLight Standard - 60 LEDs - UV
Clear soft tubing
Mayhems UV Purple Coolant
3 x Corsair SP120 RGB (side)
3 x Alpenfohn wingboost 3 120 white (top)
3 x Noiseblocker NB-Eloop white 120 (bottom)
Spray paint, primer etc

Parts will be arriving this coming week and I will be doing a test of the hardware to check it all works and fits etc, then spraying things, testing them, then water cooling it all. I expect it to take me 1-3 weeks depending on how lazy I am/how quickly spraying things takes and how long it takes to clean all the water bits that I am re using.

Any productive input is welcome, or if you are london based and have an amazing idea you think you can do on the project, hit me up.

Soldato
Sounds interesting! I like the PC-O11 but think it requires some modding to set it apart from the many builds using it lately. Interested to see how yours pans out.

I've got a laser cutter and wood/plastic/metalwork experience, always up for a little collaboration :)

Soldato
OP
laser cutter would be very useful. Was thinking something along the lines of fan grills having "HA" or "HAHA" cut into them to make the "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA" kinda thing. Sure there is something better though, will have a think. Does it take long/cost much beyond materials? You just need a Auto CAD file?

Soldato
laser cutter would be very useful. Was thinking something along the lines of fan grills having "HA" or "HAHA" cut into them to make the "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA" kinda thing. Sure there is something better though, will have a think. Does it take long/cost much beyond materials? You just need a Auto CAD file?
Ooh some laughter in a graphical/comic book lettering style could be awesome!

The main challenge is the vector design, so if you already have a file it should be quite easy to set up for laser cutting/etching. Running the machine doesn't take long, sometimes it takes a couple of attempts to get the desired fit and finish. So yep, design time and materials are main costs/resources needed.

Soldato
OP
what format do you find easiest to work in? I use AutoCAD and Microstation for work but can easily enough stick something in illustrator to convert it to a normal vector image if thats better. I'll put something together later this week/early next week once ive got the fans on hand, then drop you a trust mail.

Do you have a source to purchase a sheet of steel/aluminium from?

As far as etching something into the glass goes, will only be able to get one "tone" wont we? so therefore design has to be made from one or two tones. e.g. where its etched and empty space? Have you ever done the etching before?
If we do something on that it will take a bit longer for me to get a design sorted, as I will be getting someone much more capable than myself to do the design and everyone is obv booked up for a while.

Im North london based, how about yourself?

Soldato
Aha that may be less doable - I have a CO2 laser so can cut/engrave plastics and wood/card etc. Metal cutting needs a fibre laser which are less commonly seen. I've successfully etched the anodising on aluminium though, and can also paint metal then etch it off.

We use Inkscape so Illustrator-alike, produce SVG files then export to DXF. I think any 2D vector image should be fine, things usually import nicely into Inkscape. Then it's just a matter of defining which lines are joined together into paths and exporting. Etching can be done with rastered images too so typical BMP/PNG/JPG. But lettering and line work is good with vector as it's crisper.

I'm in SE4 so zone 2, but work near Tottenham Court Road so often central :)

Soldato
OP
For the fan grills, they can be made of anything so metal isn't required, can just paint them black if required rather than having shiny :)

I'll send you a mail once I've got some images done and we can discuss :D

Soldato
OP
what sounds to be an interesting and ambitious project log but then let down by this....

hard tubing everytime :p
pfffft. not with how much i end up messing about with my system lol.
Recently I have actually found myself not preferring the hard tubing systems, sometimes they are awesome, but often i think they look are far too "visuals over practicality". Nice to look at but not much more, like the Mayhems pearl coolants etc.
I'd consider hard-line more if A, I had fittings already so it wouldn't be yet more outlay purely for visuals instead of a better GPU. B, it wasn't going to be my main PC e.g. was a demo system only or my server etc.

So, I imagine on my server rebuild/upgrade it'll end up being hardline if I WC it this time ;)

Soldato
OP
Made some progress over the last week while I was waiting for deliveries.
Primed up the 6 fans I had, and applied some paint stripper to the rads that aren't in use.
I might have instantly forgotten about the primer on my gloves and then touched the bare rad...
gyiTsdPh.jpg

This is with some color coat on (not final coat), need to test the purple out vs the other one I now have, as when tested on paper it didn't fluoresce very well.
2dAiKrSh.jpg

the paint came off the old thermochill (iirc) rad a lot easier than the EK one.
qrYVDTTh.jpg

After some basic sanding, I kinda like the brass, but since it would be the only brass/gold in the entire build I think I will paint it silver/chrome. Either way, it wont be very visible. Although I have discovered that the "chrome" paint I have reflects barely any UV light, when on paper at least, and looks like a very dark purple instead.
Lo1bWohh.jpg

Mirror finish is a lot more annoying to obtain that I had anticipated, although i expect this is largely due to the fact I only have 180grit, then 3000/5000/9000 grit papers, so I have ordered a proper range from 100 - 800 so I can get it ready to polish up nicely.
9Kbo7Gjh.jpg

Now the case has arrived I will be able to get the two panels on that painted, and then start test fitting things so I will be able to progress with the designs for laser cutting/engraving :)
Will also be painting one of the other three fans that has arrived in the new purple and post up some pics to compare - if i can capture them in uv properly. Rest of the time will probably be spent making mirror finishes on stuff if the new grits arrive.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks ace mate, good looking finish on the rads will happen with 800grit and machine polished. You could also ultra fine wire wool it potentially but should be decent - clear coat once it’s done if it’s aluminium or it will start to lose its shine pretty fast unless you do paint it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks smffy, which sort of clear coat should I use? Im going with a satin water based finisher on the panels but am thinking a gloss finish might be better on mirror finished things?
got the panels largely done, had to touch up the lines after removing the tape as a few little bits of paint came off, but i can barely tell from next to it after one quick touch up coat so meh.
Will be making a stencil for "joker" or "the joker" on the top stripe/s then clear coating.
Have also primed up the last set of fans ready for testing out the 2nd purple tomorrow, then i can decide which one to finish the others with.
Y3K1cQKh.jpg
cgdNa6dh.jpg
Ni0l0Bih.jpg

Soldato
OP
Here are the two purples I have managed to get a hold of. Going with the matte finish, less pink one, on the right.
The left paint is paint factory stuff, el cheapo at a quid a 200ml can with hardly any paint in it (400ml did 6 fans barely). The stuff on the right is a german brand, which is the only other UV purple I could find. (400ml did 9 fans and a second coat on 3 of them, still got some left in that can atm)
The black and green I am using are Kobra paints, and seem to be the nicest to work with, they spray a bit slower so i can do many light sweeps rather than touching the spray and it immediately being more paint than i wanted in total lol.
3vhVyNQh.jpg
9Cb9ngzh.jpg
YPixJP4h.jpg

Soldato
OP
Should probably post some updates. PC is up and running, but I had issues with screw lengths on the rads when tryi8ng to also fit res etc, so had to order a few different screws until I got the right ones.
Everything is basically ready to assemble, now im just being lazy. Taking the side panel to an artist this week so hopefuly that wont take too long, should have already happened but ive been sick :(

ppj1Rs9h.jpg

Gs5DOAMh.jpg

4zW5fLhh.jpg

0Kaewoph.jpg

LDdBPFMh.jpg

HAIl4zoh.jpg

gGxdqllh.jpg

8FYftbxh.jpg

Soldato
OP
The build is largely "finished". I am still to get three glass etched, and ive just sold a 980ti and bought a 2070 super and block, so I'll need to install that when it arrives, butt you can get a good feel for the system now.
You can see it is pretty tight! Had to change the loop plan a few times moving things around and getting everything to be able to fit, and have tubes/wires going places. Overall, I am pleased with how most of it is looking, can't wait for it to be actually finished, So I imagine I will get on with the design for the glass panels now while waiting for the gpu/block/backplate.
I am still tempted to watercool the RAM, since I have the blocks for it, but it feels like wasting the RGB then :/
Also, EK just had to go and release a monoblock for the board didnt they...which I really shouldn't waste the money on but if I W/C the RAM, I think it'd be awesome as you would basically see no bare board :D

I wish I could keep a waterfall effect, but every time it makes a little flowing water noise I panic thinking it is leaking everywhere lol.

jcqtRFRh.jpg
or4n9D7h.jpg
RTxM5RHh.jpg
cjkQGBJh.jpg
2BGlucAh.jpg
f5WEgVIh.jpg

Rear Panel
C77rb5ih.jpg

Back
Top Bottom