LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Soldato
OP
To the OP , isnt it possibke to do 4k 120hz but using 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 instead of 4:4:4 , yes for desktop text is a lot clearer with 4:4:4 but for gaming with motion u barely notice it while taking advantage of higher refresh rate / resolution.

I ve been thinking of getting the C9 as my main pc monitor for some time now, maybe ill cave in soon and just get it lol.

I don't think so. I tried custom resolutions which still utilised the equivalent 1440p/120hz bandwidth and it didnt work.

anyway, I returned the C9 and went back to TV gaming! I just can't let go o my 5.1.2 atmos sound system for games. Loved my AKG 712 headphones but they are no where near.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I don't think so. I tried custom resolutions which still utilised the equivalent 1440p/120hz bandwidth and it didnt work.

anyway, I returned the C9 and went back to TV gaming! I just can't let go o my 5.1.2 atmos sound system for games. Loved my AKG 712 headphones but they are no where near.
Which sound system you got? Link? :)

Associate

Yes i too have 5.1.4 and its in a different league than any headset. The thing is i cant find many pc games that support Atmos , i use Neural:X to simulate it.
That ia how samsung is maeketing 4k 120hz on its latest TVs which still uses HDMI 2.0 , they jusy do it with 4:2:0 and not 4:4:4 so it should be absolutely possible on the c9.

Soldato
Been using large screen HTDV's as monitors for over 10 years never understood why more PC gamers did not bother before recently!

Soldato
OP

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Denon avr 3300
Kef q speakers 5 speaker surround (150/250/750) https://uk.kef.com/collections/q-se...MIpJvXkZrB5QIVixnTCh2ZVgm0EAAYASAAEgInd_D_BwE
Kef q Atmos speakers
https://uk.kef.com/products/q50a-dolby-atmos-enabled-surround-speaker
Bk monolith plus
https://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/monolith-df_Plus.htm

For me it’s just in a different class. It creates an atmosphere of sound
That looks very nice indeed. How much did all that cost? Looks expensive :p

Soldato

What TV are you using?

Soldato
OP
That looks very nice indeed. How much did all that cost? Looks expensive :p

i dunno man off the top of my head probably £3k for everything all in all.

you can get comparable sound for way cheaper tho!! if i was to do it all again, I'd just go for a second hand setup for someone. sound is sound and hardly moves forwards year to year.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
i dunno man off the top of my head probably £3k for everything all in all.

you can get comparable sound for way cheaper tho!! if i was to do it all again, I'd just go for a second hand setup for someone. sound is sound and hardly moves forwards year to year.
Thanks. I just have a cheap £100 LG soundbar. Does the job for now. But will eventually upgrade at some point :D

Soldato
OP
Thanks. I just have a cheap £100 LG soundbar. Does the job for now. But will eventually upgrade at some point :D

£100 soundbars are great.

For £100 you're not going to get a lot in the AVR/5.1 setup world. When you have a decent budget £500-1000, you'll get something insane on the second hand market. and you can always expand and upgrade.

I found on ebay some mission LSX speakers for like £40. add in a decent second hand AVR.. and thats a great 2.0 system.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
£100 soundbars are great.

For £100 you're not going to get a lot in the AVR/5.1 setup world. When you have a decent budget £500-1000, you'll get something insane on the second hand market. and you can always expand and upgrade.

I found on ebay some mission LSX speakers for like £40. add in a decent second hand AVR.. and thats a great 2.0 system.
Sounds good. Next on the shopping list is a OLED. It will either be a LG B9 or C9 55" or wait for the B10/C10 and see what's what with them and decide. Basically I want it in the next 12 months just in time for the PS5 :D

What I like about sound bars is the lack of space they take up. Mine fits perfects on the chimney breast under the wall mounted tv. It is perfectly at ear level too and has a wireless sub.

Truth is I am not sure I would want something any louder as it is plenty loud and I have semi detached house and I am not the sort to take the **** and make neighbors uncomfortable. What I could do with is better sound quality maybe though.

Soldato
OP
Sounds good. Next on the shopping list is a OLED. It will either be a LG B9 or C9 55" or wait for the B10/C10 and see what's what with them and decide. Basically I want it in the next 12 months just in time for the PS5 :D

B9 just got Gsync support so seems like a no brainer now. I'm tempted to grab the 65'' for that if it comes down to £1.5k. Ideally I want the 77'' but I don't think it'll reach my budget (3-4k)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
B9 just got Gsync support so seems like a no brainer now. I'm tempted to grab the 65'' for that if it comes down to £1.5k. Ideally I want the 77'' but I don't think it'll reach my budget (3-4k)
I added more to my last post by the way. Your replied back too quick :p

That is great news. I want the 65" but it would stick out from the sides of the chimney breast and look ugly and there would be the risk of someone walking into it as it is next to a bookcase :/

55" happens to fit perfectly.

Eventually we will get rid of the chimney breast and by then the 77" might be affordable :D

Soldato
OP

What I like about sound bars is the lack of space they take up. Mine fits perfects on the chimney breast under the wall mounted tv. It is perfectly at ear level too and has a wireless sub.

Truth is I am not sure I would want something any louder as it is plenty loud and I have semi detached house and I am not the sort to take the **** and make neighbors uncomfortable. What I could do with is better sound quality maybe though.

Oh its not really about volume.

High fidelity audio and high quality sound with surround speakers is an experience.

If someone gave me £4,000 to create a home theatre experience for myself. I'd say about £3,000 would go on sound or at least half of it. I think its the most neglected part of most people's home theatre setups. I see people with their big OLED Tvs and tin-like sound and it blows my mind. A subwoofer which makes the room shake, which makes you feel hurricanes, dolby atmos surround which filles the room with ambient sound, directional audio, the feeling of rain or a waterfall...

Its just so much more than volume.

Sadly you're right in that logistics and wiring mean some people just can't have it. There is no doubt that even just a simple 5.1 setup is impractical with tonnes of wiring and tonnes of space used up in the lounge/room.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Oh its not really about volume.

High fidelity audio and high quality sound with surround speakers is an experience.

If someone gave me £4,000 to create a home theatre experience for myself. I'd say about £3,000 would go on sound or at least half of it. I think its the most neglected part of most people's home theatre setups. I see people with their big OLED Tvs and tin-like sound and it blows my mind. A subwoofer which makes the room shake, which makes you feel hurricanes, dolby atmos surround which filles the room with ambient sound, directional audio, the feeling of rain or a waterfall...

Its just so much more than volume.

Sadly you're right in that logistics and wiring mean some people just can't have it. There is no doubt that even just a simple 5.1 setup is impractical with tonnes of wiring and tonnes of space used up in the lounge/room.
I did have 5.1 surround sound in my bedroom like 15 years ago. I do agree it is very good and I have not even experienced the latest expensive stuff like you have, so I can only imagine. Something for the future for sure :D

But yeah, very happy to see the B9 is getting G-Sync. If the 55" dips under £1K on Black Friday or at some point in the near future, I think I will just pull the trigger. It has already gone as cheap as £1179, so not far off now.

Associate
Hm,, interesting for current B9 owners if the news is true. Although you have to wonder why they took the page down. I'd still go with a C9 though over the B9 for new purchases. The B9 uses the 2018 OLED panel with smaller pixels. The C9 uses the new larger pixel 2019 OLED panel and also gets significantly brighter.

Back
Top Bottom