Knock Knock - Trick or Treat! What do you do?

Soldato
No pumpkin outside/in the window, no trick or treaters. That's the rule round here and I think it's great.
Was the same at our old place in NE London : no Halloween decorations = no knock.

Always organised groups of younger kids with all dressed up in spooky costumes with parents keeping an eye on things from the pavement. All from the neighbourhood, so my wife knew them all from when she worked at the local school.

Soldato
We live in a first floor flat with Americans downstairs. Safe to say we let them go at it and don't bother even moving if our doorbell goes :p

Permabanned
73021596_10220496274821576_2630200708934139904_o.jpg

Soldato
Answer the door holding onto these two, does the trick nicely (also works well with Jehovah’s witnesses:p)

CZ2AsBT.png

I had the Jehovahs round the other day. My dog took an instant liking to the poor girl who'd knocked at the door and came barrelling out to see her. She pretty much just threw the leaflet at me and ran away, I don't think she was a dog person.

Soldato
No pumpkin outside/in the window, no trick or treaters. That's the rule round here and I think it's great.

Same in our town, Pumpkin = please knock on.

We have pumpkins and we give treats.

I can't see the issue with it, it's one night a year, it's a nice thing for the local community kids. We get a handful of people knock on and we take our kids out too.

Soldato
Usually I'm content just to ignore Halloween and not participate. As with someone else above, my living room is at the back of the house so I just turn the lights off at the front and ignore it. I also have two dogs would get excited by the doorbell, so I'd rather not have it going off all night.
However, given that last Halloween cost me £400 due to some mouth breathers vandalising my car, I actively despise it and have half a mind to camp out on the driveway with a pickaxe in case they come back for another try this year :mad:

Associate
My area turns into mini America on Halloween but we live very close to an infants and Juniors school. We don't mind as we have kids who love this time of year, sadly my dogs will bark the house down for most of the evening while everyone knocks the door. The unwritten rule is that you only knock doors of people that have Halloween stuff in there window or outside the house. Its shame that it couldn't actually be a real rule so that people don't have to put up with random kids knocking their door if they don't want to be disrupted.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
We dont usually get any other than pre arranged visits from friends in my sons class who come out of their way with their parents, as we are a little off the beaten track. For his sake though, we put pumpkins out and have sweets ready, we sometimes get 1-2 unarranged groups from the village.

Soldato
When we were kids we used to open the door and gat people with BB guns like something from Pulp Fiction. Not sure I'd get away with it these days :D

Soldato
So if you don't want to celebrate some ridiculous American tradition, you are a 'Miserable sod'?
No, you're an ignorant and miserable sod. It's originally a British custom.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick-or-treating

I've got no interest at all in some American holiday that means absolutely nothing here in the UK.
Never took part in this American holiday funny enough.
My area turns into mini America on Halloween
As above...

Soldato
We do a few pumpkins up and the local kids visit, usually about 10 groups. Its normally young kids with adults waiting back. We hand them the sweets though or the greedy gits take em all...

Back
Top Bottom