Knock Knock - Trick or Treat! What do you do?

Soldato
73021596_10220496274821576_2630200708934139904_o.jpg

:D :D :D Brilliant :D

Thankfully, it's only little kids around our way - so I don't mind dishing out a few sweets when they come knocking - though it is annoying as the dogs go mental each time. Left a box out one year with a 'help yourself' note; but someone decided to take almost all of the contents in no time at all - hope they got diabetes for that.

I wanted to put my Scream costume on one year, but the wife binned it, after I have spooked her a few too many times during the year.

Soldato
*Somehow I always manage to over order for the sweets, who knew a 3kg bag of chews was quite that large and it seems my "better too many" snack size chocolates tends to result enough snacks for my niece for weeks (not to mention computer snacks for myself).

Costco do a 5kg one for about £12 ;)

We always put decorations out and give the kids sweets. I used to go as a kid and enjoy it, so why do any different now?

Associate
Round these parts you need to display a pumpkin to signify that you are taking part in Trick or Treat, or so my wife tells me. We always have sweets on hand, don't get too many round.

The next time it falls on a day I am not working and therefore home I'd like to dress up as the Grim Reaper and open the door from a dark house with a smoke machine behind me. Wife has vetoed that idea though.

Soldato
Interesting post, we usually have a tub of sweets for the kids, it's harmless fun for them and many of the costumes are quite creative!
Yep, that's how we always see it too, being British and all... but there's a lot of lonely, miserable, anti-community spoilsport grumpy ******* on this forum.
Presumably they all like to go through town in December, telling every kid queueing outside the Santa's Grottoes that Father Christmas isn't real, too?

Soldato
Interesting post, we usually have a tub of sweets for the kids, it's harmless fun for them and many of the costumes are quite creative!

This, you're only young once.

Yep, that's how we always see it too, being British and all... but there's a lot of lonely, miserable, anti-community spoilsport grumpy ******* on this forum.
Presumably they all like to go through town in December, telling every kid queueing outside the Santa's Grottoes that Father Christmas isn't real, too?

After reading the first page of this thread, also this.

Soldato
We always go out for a meal or cinema or something on Halloween. Can't be doing with it. One of my mates calls it junior terrorism :p

And don't get me started on all the junk the supermarkets sell only to end up in landfill a few days later.

Soldato
Ignore it and let the dogs kick off!

I was advised a couple of years ago that it's an unwritten rule that if you have a pumpkin outside of your house, then that means "I'm open to being knocked" whereas if you don't, the "Do one" is implied.

Associate
We embrace it fully - lots of decorations and friends come over to scare the kids (and parents).

Multiple smoke machines, strobes and friends running around with chainsaws and axes - all good fun.

Soldato
Unpopular opinion in this thread but I think it's pathetic how grown adults can be so scared by little children getting dressed up and knocking on their doors that they have to sit in their house in the dark not answering the door.

How is it American?

Halloween is a big old holiday over there. Here, we don't really care. Trick or treat did not happen in this country until the early 80's when it was widely shown in ET. This is pretty much when it came over here. We use to do a "Penny for the Guy" for fireworks night before this.

Soldato
Halloween is a big old holiday over there. Here, we don't really care. Trick or treat did not happen in this country until the early 80's when it was widely shown in ET. This is pretty much when it came over here. We use to do a "Penny for the Guy" for fireworks night before this.
Like most things celebrated by Americans, we actually invented it... centuries ago, in this case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick-or-treating
It's as American as Apple Pie... for which we have recipes dating to the 1300s. :p

So now I'm ignorant too? Must be great to be you.
Wanna add indignant to the list, too? :p
It's still not American, though...

Being me ain't so bad... You occasionally get accused of disingenuity when someone twists your posts to try and look clever, but aside from that it's pretty good, yeah...

Back
Top Bottom