LG c9 OLED

Soldato
After a 65" C9 in the next month or so, hope the price drops to around the £2k mark, if anyone spots a deal let us know please!

Soldato
After a 65" C9 in the next month or so, hope the price drops to around the £2k mark, if anyone spots a deal let us know please!

Can be had for £2174 on Richersounds/John Lewis.

Someone on AVForums also had 10% codes for Currys dropping it from £2300 to £2070 and you could get £70 cashback via Topcashback making it bang on £2000 :) I was going to grab one but thought I'd wait for Black Friday as it wouldn't be getting mounted until November anyway.

Soldato
Some keen eyed C9 owners noticed that there is a Beta Nvidia driver 440.52 floating around: https://www.mediafire.com/file/f38mk5ppy1emkqh/440.52.zip/file

If you install this driver, you can now use g-sync on the LG C9 (apparently). I've not yet tested it. Also the TV doesn't need an update to new firmware, just the 440.52 driver and that's it.

In addition to this, there is a new engineering sample firmware for the LG C9 floating around as well. Installing it add a 4k 120hz option to the resolution drop down box in the Nvidia control panel - turning on 4k 120hz results in a artifacted image so 4k 120hz is not yet working - but we can see LG is trying to get it working.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can be had for £2174 on Richersounds/John Lewis.

Someone on AVForums also had 10% codes for Currys dropping it from £2300 to £2070 and you could get £70 cashback via Topcashback making it bang on £2000 :) I was going to grab one but thought I'd wait for Black Friday as it wouldn't be getting mounted until November anyway.

Thank you, we also won't be ready to mount it until the end of November so will wait for Black Friday too, may be we'll see £1800 ish by then!

Associate
Hi folks.
I have been using the beta Nvidia driver 440.52 combined with the LG firmware 04.70.05, which was released on 21/10/19.

I can confirm that this firmware shows an option to select 4k 100hz and 120hz whilst an input is labelled as a 'PC'. I can sadly confirm though that there is no option to select 420 subsampling and therefore any attempt to activate 4k above 60hz is unsuccessful at this time.

I have been trying Gsync and have been impressed with the results - especially considering this is a beta driver from mid September.
I have found it most useful at 1400p 120hz. I have capped the frame rate to 115 in most games, switched all Vsync off and switched on low latency mode in some games.
The results have been incredibly low response times with no absolutely no tearing and stutter free game play in every game (exception of Borderlands 3).

I had heard previous issues with HDR on VRR Tv's but can confirm that G-sync does work with HDR in both 4k 60 and 1440p 120hz.

I have never had Gsync before or any VRR and have been impressed but would say that it does not make 40-70 fps feel like 120fps. Whilst there is no stuttering and tearing, you will know its the latter if your sensitive to Fps. I think I had unrealistic expectations of some cure all.

Hopefully the actual final release driver will be out from Nvidia shortly.

Soldato
Hi folks.

I have never had Gsync before or any VRR and have been impressed but would say that it does not make 40-70 fps feel like 120fps. Whilst there is no stuttering and tearing, you will know its the latter if your sensitive to Fps. I think I had unrealistic expectations of some cure all.

I think this is the misconception about G-Sync and VRR, that it makes lower FPS feel like higher FPS, sadly it does not, that would be impossible. As you mention, purpose is to reduce issues around a fluctuating FPS and remove the tearing and stuttering when dropping below refresh rate. To be honest, that in itself is well worth its weight when you cannot maintain the refresh rate of the panel (and then need to use a form of frame cap / sync tech to prevent tearing from going the other way too much).

Still, grand to see G-Sync and Freesync makes it way into TV's. With more people gaming on TVs like these, make them absolutely great features.

Soldato
Has anyone set up their magic remote with other devices? I've got some Logitech Z906 speakers and configured the remote last night, the setup successfully tested powering on/off the speakers. Yet I can't seem to actually turn the speakers on/off using the remote after the setup. It can change the volume fine. I'm so close to being able to use the LG remote for everything but this is an annoying niggle as I really want speaker power control. I thought it might be something to do with the "set-top box power" button on the remote, but that just takes me to the device connector screen.
Just in case anyone else was wondering if this was possible, I randomly discovered the other day that the 3 dots button next to 0 gives you an on-screen panel with more controls for devices. So I can now turn on my TV and then power on the speakers using this. I hate multiple remotes.

Soldato
Hi folks.
I have been using the beta Nvidia driver 440.52 combined with the LG firmware 04.70.05, which was released on 21/10/19.

I can confirm that this firmware shows an option to select 4k 100hz and 120hz whilst an input is labelled as a 'PC'. I can sadly confirm though that there is no option to select 420 subsampling and therefore any attempt to activate 4k above 60hz is unsuccessful at this time.

I have been trying Gsync and have been impressed with the results - especially considering this is a beta driver from mid September.
I have found it most useful at 1400p 120hz. I have capped the frame rate to 115 in most games, switched all Vsync off and switched on low latency mode in some games.
The results have been incredibly low response times with no absolutely no tearing and stutter free game play in every game (exception of Borderlands 3).

I had heard previous issues with HDR on VRR Tv's but can confirm that G-sync does work with HDR in both 4k 60 and 1440p 120hz.

I don't think Gsync can trick you into thinking it's a higher fps than it actually is. It's there to remove screen tearing and also to reduce input latency because you can turn off vsync.

it's pretty cool that with the new LG firmware it shows up supporting 4K 120hz in the nvidia control panel - however hdmi 2.0 cant carry that signal so it doesn't work.

we either need sub sampling or HDMI 2.1 graphics cards.

what I do like is that LG added a 4K 100hz options - that's the one I'd use as it's going to naturally be easier to hit 100fps than 120fps in the near future - 4K is still a lot of pixels to drive

Soldato
The official G-Sync drivers are out now.

https://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/results/153088

The new firmware for the LG C9 is also out. Just updated now, will do the driver soon and test. my TV is now on 4.70.05

Nvidia's own page shows the C9 is support for 4k up to 120hz refresh with VRR. So the new firmware should support it to.

That means we're now good to go - all the support is done on both sides, we now simply need a HDMI 2.1 GPU or a DP to HDMI 2.1 converter

Soldato
And it's also working perfectly! No complaints so far.

You do have to enable gsync in the control panel after the driver update - once it's applied a message box pops up on the TV saying "Instant Game Response Enabled"

Soldato
Missed this thread originally. I'm looking at having a 65 c9 in my man cave/study. I'm amazed how much they've dropped inside of 6 months, you can pick one up for 1900. I'm planning on using it for games from my PC. However as I have kids it's likely to be Max of 2-3 hours a day, with my current monitor for any browsing or word stuff. I read the rtings page, and they reckon you might get some IR after 5 years with 5 hours a day so I'm not too bothered by it. I've only got a gtx 1080 though so doubt I'll be doing much at 4k (for the time being). Will sync still work on with that card?

Associate
Got one (55") over Black Friday. What an amazing TV. Not sure why people complain about not being bright enough?! First thing I did was lower the 'Oled Light' as I thought my eyes would pop themselves out!

Also do not understand why people complain about OLEDs in bright rooms. Got a triple window on one end, and patio doors on the other, plus they are south facing so get a LOT of sun through even with curtains it's very bright, and I didn't even bother switching it to the 'bright room' setting, nevermind using Vivid or anything brighter.

So far I am loving it. It is awesome. The panel and colour reproduction is amazing. HDR/Dolby Vision even more so. The interface is fantastic and love the magic remote; so much easier to do anything. I've gotten rid of our Tivo V6 and subscribed to Amazon Prime (we had Netflix) just to take advantage of as much 4k and HDR/Dolby Vision as possible.

Soldato
Missed this thread originally. I'm looking at having a 65 c9 in my man cave/study. I'm amazed how much they've dropped inside of 6 months, you can pick one up for 1900. I'm planning on using it for games from my PC. However as I have kids it's likely to be Max of 2-3 hours a day, with my current monitor for any browsing or word stuff. I read the rtings page, and they reckon you might get some IR after 5 years with 5 hours a day so I'm not too bothered by it. I've only got a gtx 1080 though so doubt I'll be doing much at 4k (for the time being). Will sync still work on with that card?

No the 1080 won’t work for gysnc on the TV, I have one, it has to be the GTX 16- series and the RTX 20- series.

Soldato
My son managed to crack my Panasonic 55inch OLED TV, fortunately my contents insurance has paid out £1800. I could actually buy the same TV for £1299 as it's last year's model (it's expensive as it has a Technics soundbar), but I am also looking at the LG models and going a bit bigger to 65 inch. I saw these deals:

C9 65 inch - £1899 with a £100 off voucher until Christmas
https://www.richersounds.com/lg-oled65c9pla.html?refSrc=58104&nosto=productpage-nosto-6

B8 65 inch - £1449
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OLED65B8PL.../B07CL5FRWD?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_38149da7_18

Is the C9 worth £450 more? I mainly use the TV for Sky Sports, movies and the usual catch up services with a Fire TV stick 4k.

Other question is should I wait? I have a temporary 55 inch LCD Panasonic TV I've borrowed from work, so not in a huge rush.

Last edited:
Soldato
My son managed to crack my Panasonic 55inch OLED TV, fortunately my contents insurance has paid out £1800. I could actually buy the same TV for £1299 as it's last year's model (it's expensive as it has a Technics soundbar), but I am also looking at the LG models and going a bit bigger to 65 inch. I saw these deals:

C9 65 inch - £1899 with a £100 off voucher until Christmas
https://www.richersounds.com/lg-oled65c9pla.html?refSrc=58104&nosto=productpage-nosto-6

B8 65 inch - £1449
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OLED65B8PL.../B07CL5FRWD?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_38149da7_18

Is the C9 worth £450 more? I mainly use the TV for Sky Sports, movies and the usual catch up services with a Fire TV stick 4k.

Other question is should I wait? I have a temporary 55 inch LCD Panasonic TV I've borrowed from work, so not in a huge rush.
That was the offer is seen. There's also more of a discount on sky with the c9 compared to the b8 so overall the cost difference will be less.

Back
Top Bottom