Upgrade time - Need some advice!

Associate
Hi guys, need some advice as I'm pretty behind on modern gaming hardware now!

So for the best part of 10 years I've used the following core build (GPU is newer, old crossfire setup wasn't supported on new drivers):

• AMD Phenom II x6 1055T @ 3.8Ghz

• Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz (2x2GB, 2x4GB)

• ROG Crosshair Formula IV 890FX (AM3+)

• AMD RX460 4GB

• XFX Pro 750W Semi Modular
I don't think drives/case etc. is relevant to this question, but basically over the last few days I've been getting more and more regular crashes. Last night it crashed mid-game and when it rebooted only half of the fans/lights came up, the motherboard has clever little post lights and I could see it was stuck on CPU. After 45 minutes of fiddling around and reseating things I finally got it to boot back up again, I was able to use it last night for a while but it did crash again later but just rebooted as normal. I've come to use it this morning and it's cold booting again and had no time to fiddle with it before leaving for work.

As much as I don't want to admit it, I think it's time to upgrade, the problem is that I wasn't planning for this and therefore am stuck on a limited budget. Ideally I'd love a new Ryzen build and an RX580 or something, but right now that's out of my budget.

I'd like some advice on the best path to take here short term, I was thinking about finding some high end older hardware, perhaps i5/i7 2nd-4th gen, that means I can still use my RAM and all the other components as a short term solution.

At the same time though, is it worth spending say £100/£150 on hardware that's like 6-7 years old as a stop gap? I can get the follow bits for just under £300 brand new:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/rang...-w-radeon-vega-8-graphics-bu-09g-og.html#t=a3

So this is where the tricky question comes in, what's the most efficient way to solve this? The main game I'm playing now is Kingdom Come: Deliverance (amazing by the way, try it!) and World of Tanks/Warships. In the current rig I was able to get up to 40fps on Medium on KCD (but occasionally I'd stutter and drop to like 5fps in cutscenes and large battles).

If you guys could kindly lend me your advice on this matter it would be much appreciated!

https://imgur.com/a/oNhSpRi - The dying build :(

Associate
It all depends on why the PC is crashing in the first place. I would say start a fresh. Spending £100-200 on upgrading and old build to fix an unknown issue is wasteful. Ignore that 2200g bundle and make your own.

Ryzen 2600 (with stock cooler)
Basic B450 Motherboard
16GB DDR RAM (3000 Mhz upwards)
All 3 should be little over £300

I would say get yourself a cheap about 480GB SSD to eleminate any hard drive faults.

You can reuse your PSU, Case and GPU until you are ready to spend money on them. Spending £300-400 now will give you good foundations to build upon.

6 core 12 threaded CPU on a motherboard you can overclock and add future Ryzen CPUs. Plenty of RAM. Fast enough storage. A basic RX 460 GPU that can easily be upgraded to something more powerful.

Back
Top Bottom