water seeping through garage wall

dal

dal

Associate
Hi, as per title, ive got water coming through my garage wall on one side. I've attached some photos to show you whats on the other side :

Below those stones is a solid concrete base & it is about 1/2 a brick course about the damp course.
What I'm thinking of doing is treating the brickwork with a sealer to make it water proof, but because I wont be able to treat down to the dampcourse I was going to fill the gap with cement but make it higher at one end so it acts like a gutter.

So a couple of questions :
1. Do you think it will work, if not any other suggestions ?
2. Would it be nesessary to use a waterproof cement ( is cement water proof anyway ?)

CGf1A2O.jpg.png
5vd1vMc.jpg.png
C3HFEsr.jpg.png

Associate
Looks like those stones are now filled with mud which is just holding water against the wall above the DPC.

Rake them out, replace with fresh chippings. Having a bit of an angle will allow the rainwater to run.

Associate
Cheers, ill rake out the stones and cement as planned i think. Should i use a additive to the cement for water proofing

Cement is waterproof...also I doubt you need to do anything other than reduce the ground level. You're likely bridging the DPC.

dig it out .. cap it with concrete.. have a chemical damp proof put in higher up ?

Also, just no.

Associate
Is that a shed in the photo? Has the shed got a gutter?

Water bouncing up (splashing) off the flag stones will also cause damp.

Soldato
+1 on gutter - my neighbour tidied his gutters up and didn't put the rear one back into the land drain - just let it run onto the grass - His grass is over a foot higher than garage floor and water poured in through the walls.
Gutter will more than likely fix your problem.

Associate
Ideal location for some form of aco drain you shouldn't need to use concrete then and it will look neat and tidy if you can find one that is thin enough to fit down the gap. Just make sure you have a small fall on it to somewhere the water can soak away to and your would be golden. As everyone else has said, gutter for the shed will help but with a proper aco drain there should more than sort the issue. Please dont ever use those spray on brick treatments, bricks are slightly porous by there nature and making them waterproof will stop water getting in through the bricks it also stops water getting out through them as well, so if you have issues in your cavity you might never know it until the outside wall of your house falls down and or your roof falls down because the timber ends have rotted. There is no such thing as Rising Damp and anyone who tries to sell you any form of chemical damp proofing is ripping you off.

dal

dal

Associate
OP
Ideal location for some form of aco drain you shouldn't need to use concrete then and it will look neat and tidy if you can find one that is thin enough to fit down the gap. Just make sure you have a small fall on it to somewhere the water can soak away to and your would be golden. As everyone else has said, gutter for the shed will help but with a proper aco drain there should more than sort the issue. Please dont ever use those spray on brick treatments, bricks are slightly porous by there nature and making them waterproof will stop water getting in through the bricks it also stops water getting out through them as well, so if you have issues in your cavity you might never know it until the outside wall of your house falls down and or your roof falls down because the timber ends have rotted. There is no such thing as Rising Damp and anyone who tries to sell you any form of chemical damp proofing is ripping you off.
I don't think i could find a drain small enough, that gap between base and my garage is 2.5 inches in places. I've got the ground level below the damp course of my garage now so ill see how that goes

dal

dal

Associate
OP
Well what I've done doesn't seem to have worked, after last nights rain there is a pool of water in the area I have excavated, allthough the water level is about 2" below the damp course there still seems to be some water seeping still. Next step will be to put a gutter up on neighbours shed as suggested.

BXZXV0L.jpg.png

Associate
The water seeping through is coming from the shed, look at the shed side panel, it's wet about 2 foot up. Your brick work will be the same and its soaking through. The water runs off the shed roof, hits the flag stones and splashes up.

Back
Top Bottom