EA and Valve , Steam partnership

Soldato
Likely it's just data sharing exercise with added bonus of a wider audience and mirrored/close price agreement.

You may as well just use Origin, I don't see any reason to buy EA through Steam.

INTERNET CONNECTION; EA ACCOUNT; STEAM ACCOUNT; ACCEPTANCE OF EA USER AGREEMENT (terms.ea.com) & ORIGIN END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT (ea.com/legal); AND DOWNLOAD & INSTALLATION OF THE ORIGIN CLIENT SOFTWARE (origin.com/download) REQUIRED TO PLAY. YOU MUST LINK YOUR EA AND STEAM ACCOUNTS TO PLAY; EA WILL SHARE YOUR ACCOUNT ID AND INDIVIDUAL GAME AND PLAY RECORDS WITH STEAM TO VALIDATE YOUR PURCHASE AND/OR REFUND REQUEST.

Last edited:
Soldato
Multiplayer games—like Apex Legends™, FIFA 20, and Battlefield™ V—will become available next year, and players on both Origin and Steam will have the ability to play together.
huh? why would they not be able to so anyway. Apex Legends already lets you 'import' your steam friends list. not sure where the 'yay' moment is in this announcement.

unless this new 'partnership' allows the end user to bin off the origin or steam launcher is not even a story and really just a marketing blurb. it reads to me - you can buy your origin games via steam but you still need to run them through the origin launcher. so nothing is really being 'brought together' it's still separate platforms/launchers. unless of course i'm mistaken.

Soldato
it reads to me - you can buy your origin games via steam but you still need to run them through the origin launcher. so nothing is really being 'brought together' it's still separate platforms/launchers. unless of course i'm mistaken.

I think that's exactly what it is.

The bringing together is more where Valve and Steam benefit, not us.

Soldato
Perhaps they're starting to think that for all the costs of running Origin it hasn't been as profitable as they hoped it might, and are testing the waters with Steam again before drawing conclusions about what to do next - if they see an uptick in sales combined with stats showing that more people buy on Steam than they do on Origin perhaps they will decide it's pointless to keep running it...

Personally I'm not too bothered either way - I've got quite a few games on Origin - to begin with I got it for Battlefield 3 which was all I used it for for ages, but then got a key for Dead Space 3 in a humble bundle and redeemed it there, and since then have added a handful of games when they were giving them out for free. Certainly have never really considered it as anything more than a simple launcher I have to boot to run certain games though - barely use the friends list etc. or check the store pages... I didn't really like them keeping the games off of Steam but then again they were mostly in-house studios/titles so it made sense why they would

Associate
I'll be a lot happier launching them on steam as my friends list is bigger but thats the only reason i would play then on steam, i would install Apex on steam for this reason that's about it.

Soldato
It's a step in the right direction. If EA see's a boost in sales, they will no doubt be public about it as a result. Which might start a trend of others partnering up. I see this as a good move personally. I've given up caring about having more platforms installed on my PC than I can count on my 2 hands. The way it impacts me is, I'm sure I'm missing some great little gems that are exclusive and I just don't know about them.

Let's hope the trend gets some traction and we see others following suit.

Soldato
EA = auto not buy.

They haven't made a good game for a very long time. Maybe Fallen Order will change that, but I'm bet it won't.

Soldato
Just get em on Origin, as you need that as well, its DOUBLE DICKED DRM :D

Is is the same "Double Dicked" DRM UbiShaft put on Steam. No need for it but better than the option of not having it. I guess the "Origin only" approach is not working out too well for them regarding sales hence why they are now dabbling with Valve.

Back
Top Bottom