The Outer Worlds (Obsidian)

Soldato
I don't think any patch's will change anything big.

Right now, at least for me, been bug free throughout 25 hours of play and not had an issue / crash once and seems most reviews found the same. Performance, one you dial in right settings and ensure you enable a frame cap (or have VRR + frame cap) is very smooth. Thus far, holding a constant 60 fps with most settings maxed or on high with a 1080Ti abit screen rendering at 85% (of 4k). CPU for some seems to play a role in perf, but not sure if they will be able to do anything their.

Gameplay wise, would be nice to possibly see more weapons or something, but doubt it will come in a patch. For difficulty, doubt they will change anything Supernova wise on settings. I think few things they could patch in is to add options to toggle off things like chromatic aberration and add in FOV etc but can be tweaked via ini files.

Just my two cents

Soldato
From what you lads are saying it will need a few patches to get it up to speed.

I wouldn't say that.

Sure, it needs a few tweaks, the inventory UI, the (in game) cosole text size, and (IMO) the Supeenova difficulty, but I've not come across any bugs yet (obviously that doesn't mean there aren't any).

It's also worth mentioning how refreshing to have a game sold, that's just that.

No scummy pre-order ****, no micro/macro transaction ****, no "surprise mechanics" ****.

Bethesda, eat your mouldy, scabby heart out.

Associate
From what you lads are saying it will need a few patches to get it up to speed.
I don't think it really needs much patching, haven't had any issues with bugs or crashes throughout my play and haven't heard too many others mention problems.
I did get stuck in some rocks once, but that was my fault as I was trying to go somewhere that I shouldn't have been able to get to.

There's a few gameplay tweaks that would improve the game but the experience is enjoyable as is.

Associate
Performance overall on PC has been pretty reasonable, some slowdown when there's a lot on screen but 95% of the time Freesync makes that hardly noticeable.

Really enjoying it so far. I've not really specced heaviluy into a single tree, I can do a bit of everything. We'll see how that changes as the game progresses, I can always respec.

Soldato
Have to say Im already getting kinda bored. It hasnt got me hooked at all really.

There are way to many mundane fetch quests etc and other content fillers.

Soldato
Quite enjoying this at the moment. The story isn't particularly gripping and the locations are pretty but a little lifeless, but it just runs really smooth, no crashes (so far) and some of the dialogue options are quite funny. The only minor issue I have is when my weapon is holstered and I press X (using a controller to play) to talk or open a door, my weapon is then drawn.

Soldato
Quite enjoying this at the moment. The story isn't particularly gripping and the locations are pretty but a little lifeless, but it just runs really smooth, no crashes (so far) and some of the dialogue options are quite funny. The only minor issue I have is when my weapon is holstered and I press X (using a controller to play) to talk or open a door, my weapon is then drawn.

If you select a melee weapon, it won't happen.

Hopefully fixed in the next patch, though it's only a minor (for me) annoyance.

Soldato
About four hours or so into this now, and it's a decent enough RPG. I do like the world, the atmosphere and the visuals. I like that skills are back alongside perks and attributes.

But, there's something a bit, I dunno, lightweight about it all. Like it has nice world- and lore-building, some humorous moments, some not-so-subtle satire, but with a paint-by-numbers RPG around them.

The combat's not exactly in-depth or tactical, but then of course combat is often a bit weak in FP-RPGs. The perk system feels a bit empty, too, which is a bit more disappointing. I can't see any perk changing how the game plays or opening up new possiblities for taking on elements of the gameplay. It looks like it's going to be a bit samey. Perhaps it will throw me a curveball at some point, but I don't see it in the systems as they're described (a bit more damage here, and bit more health there, additional carry weight, some reduced cooldowns). The quests, as others have pointed out, hardly break the mould for this genre, either.

Plus, what's possibly irking me the most is that it's felt too easy to get to a point where I have a character who can do everything I need to to open up every possible path. It's all very well having multiple approaches open to the player. I love being able to build different characters and have to find routes through games that fit. But when an early game character (level five) can pick every lock, hack every terminal, pass every speech check and still one-shot enemies (on hard) with early-game guns it feels like my character and build choices are not going to matter very much. All those other options are now just things to milk for xp rather than reflecting a choice of approach.

I'm sticking with it, but I'm hoping it surprises me some time soon.

does anyone find their keybinds keep reverting back to the default keys in the menu even though the game still plays fine with your rebound keys?

Yes. I wondered what was up with that, too.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Some screenies...

oU1ByqR.jpg

aGJdzlV.jpg

FdGaHcP.jpg
Here is mine ;)

2.jpg

1440p has nothing on 2160p :D

When are you upgrading to 4K @Gregster :p

Associate
Seems the only users noticing the slowdowns are people targeting high framerates, if you cap it at 60fps it's actually pretty smooth. No game should flip between 144fps to 60fps this much, I hope they can fix it but something tells me they won't.

Soldato
I started it.

Yeah it's great, never thought for a second it wouldn't be. I'm a massive Obsidian fan, with New Vegas being imo the best rpg ever made, and this is clearly the game Obsidian have always wanted to make. It helps that it had clear Firefly vibes too!

Runs OK for me. My system is getting on a bit(a lot), so I'm playing 1920x1080 but everything runs fine. Not sure how much time I'll be able to devote to it but I'm looking forward to getting in to it,

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Completed the game. Finished Level 30 and game counter reads 19 hours and 49 minutes. I would say I did 2/3rd the side quests, maybe more. Overall I enjoyed it, but as I said, story and characters needed to be stronger. The story they had could have been told better with better writing imo.

Nice new IP and I look forward to the sequel. Will give it 8 out of 10.

How's everyone playing this, keyboard and mouse or joypad? I've tried with my Ps4 controller and my Glorious model O mouse but I've a crappy keyboard at mo.
Keyboard and Mouse for me.

Back
Top Bottom