Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Associate
Really different machines, if you want a 2 seat, mid engined coupe then the 981 Cayman is probably THE best car you can buy. If you want an unusual four door super saloon, then the Guilia quadrifoglio is an awesome looking thing.

I think £30-35k is a lot to spend on a Cayman, as you'd get a 997.2 for the upper end of that budget, but then again that's not a 2 seat mid engined car and I like 911's, so that's a personal view. The Cayman is an exceptional sports car.

EDIT: The age thing is less of a concern for the 981 as it's the last of the NA flat 6 Caymans, so they should continue to be desirable in the future.

Aye, I think I will try and test drive some caymans and see if I can work with a 2 seater. I cant seem to find any 981 gen 2's that aren't ~30k but I hadn't considered the 997. Going to have a look on AT now.

Associate
Hi all.

It's just a pipe dream at the moment but I'm toying with the idea of getting a boxster. I like the 987.2 but like the 971 even more :)

It'll be the smaller engined version (please don't beat me up) and It'll be new car time in autumn 2021. Looking at auto trader a 987.2 with under 50k miles is around £15k upwards, and a 981 with similar mileage is about 22k upwards.

What's the depreciation on the newer ones? Is it silly to expect a 981 to be around the high teens by the time I'm buying? Also what about the 987.2, would I be able to pick one up for low teens?

I've no idea about depreciation on these cars other than they're reputed to hold value very well.

Nothing like a bit of forward planning I suppose :D

Soldato
@-Ad- : Great view, reminds me that I need to go out and get my car dirty on some nice roads (but clean out the leaves from the AC condensers and radiators afterwards!)

Cheers, it was a hell of a trip. 26 Porsches and a long weekend of driving around the W.Coast area from Fort William.

The front end was in bits the day before, so the AC condensers and centre rad had a proper clean and I installed protective front grills (which trapped loads of leaves).

Most of the weekend had views like this. Too many great pictures!

jLluSuS.jpg

c28QHMI.jpg

Cracking view, we are lucky to have these roads/views in our back yard. Where's the 944?

I know, need to head out more next summer when the cars have their works completed.

Don't worry, she's at home in the garage. My other half grabbed the Boxster S when I was away with work :D

A photo from last month up at a Distillery near Elgin:

liErN7D.jpg

Soldato
That's the Skyfall road isn't it?

Yeah, the guys we were with hadn't been before so worth a stop before heading to the Clachaig Inn just up the road for a drink.

@-Ad- Just as I had decided that a 996 turbo was my dream car (from your second picture) I scrolled down and saw your 944. It gets more awesome every time I see a picture of it!

Haha cheers, but both Porsches are actually 'her' wants and purchases and I'm just the Mechanic / Driver :p

The 944 is a stunning thing and now tucked up for winter with a few bits needing doing. Even the paintwork will only need a light machine polish to bring it up to perfection, plus being resprayed there is more clearcoat to play with.

Managed to replace the rear ARB bushes as they were crumbling, but one of the bolts I had off easily 2 days before hand (to check the Part No. on the bush) galled itself when I came to do the actual bush switch. Silly thing! New bolt from Porsche was a silly £9, but the parts guy couldn't sell it to me for that rip off price so got it reduced to the 'still not a bargain' £5.50. The £1.50 bolts I ordered from 911Design were M10 and not M8, plus the wrong length :(

Also replaced the rear track arm with a bargain OEM TRW part (with Porsche logo ground off) as I spied a split outer cover. Not much grease left here and the whole thing was as loose as a wizards sleeve! Much better now.

Soldato
It's a trick of the light in my picture. The dashes above 7000rpm are red and I think the actual limiter is 7200rpm.

But peak power is around 6500rpm (off the top of my head) so I just change up then. A big red shift light would be handy :D

@-Ad- Just as I had decided that a 996 turbo was my dream car (from your second picture) I scrolled down and saw your 944. It gets more awesome every time I see a picture of it!

Here's a shot of the 996 Turbo from the trip for you. The terracotta interior was lovely!

qFslr3K.jpg

Associate
Doed anyone have a 987 with a carnewal exhaust in the Midlands area?

My 987.1 (Cayman s) currently has a terrible powerflow exhaust that drones massively between 2 and 3k (courtesy of the previous owner).

I'm debating whether to go back to stock (i.e. buy one used and swap it in) or whether to go for a new (better) performance exhaust. Everyone raves about the carnewal system. However I'm nervous to spend 1k on one (which is a modified second hand stock one) without first hearing how loud it is at cruise as I do a lot of 50-70mph steady speed driving and it's driving me nuts.

An ideal exhaust for me (I realise this may not be possible) is a nice growl at idle and then not much noise under everyday driving. But then howls above 4k.

Anyone got any advice? Or maybe has a 987 with say a carnewal exhaust I could listen to?

Thanks.

Associate
Friend of mine has a 987 with the Carnewal exhaust and it sounds sublime. It's not the same as seeing/hearing it in person, but here he is at the ring:

These videos sound great. But I worry what it sounds like on a normal a road at (50-60mph) and then motorway cruising speeds. My current system does my head in. Have you been in your friends car on the road?

Soldato
I believe Porsche will retrofit the sports exhaust for you but it's something like £2k for the privilege. Mine has it (though a Gen 2) and it does drone at 60/70mph in 6/7th gear when the valves are open but that's doing it wrong - sounds great when pressing on, and is fine in quiet mode!

Soldato
Quick one for the Porsche owners in here, the clutch is starting to slip on the 996 TT, it maybe the original unit, does anyone know what the stock unit is rated too and what are the recommended replacements?

I have been looking at both Helix and Sachs, want to stick with an organic disc, Helix have a one option (514lb ft) while Sachs offer unit with similar torque handling (531lb ft) and there is also a Sachs performance kit available which has a slighter higher rating (660lb ft), anyone have any experience with any of these aftermarket units and how did they compare to stock in weight and bite.

OcUK Staff
OP
Quick one for the Porsche owners in here, the clutch is starting to slip on the 996 TT, it maybe the original unit, does anyone know what the stock unit is rated too and what are the recommended replacements?

I have been looking at both Helix and Sachs, want to stick with an organic disc, Helix have a one option (514lb ft) while Sachs offer unit with similar torque handling (531lb ft) and there is also a Sachs performance kit available which has a slighter higher rating (660lb ft), anyone have any experience with any of these aftermarket units and how did they compare to stock in weight and bite.

Well not sure about Helix, but I know sachs clutches are OEM for many manufacturers of clutch, not that it helps much but never found fault with quality on anything sachs related whether it be suspension or clutch. :)

Back
Top Bottom