The Outer Worlds (Obsidian)

Associate
really enjoyed it, completed it in 16 hours and that was with every possible side quest that was given to me. not a single crash/bug.

Soldato
Thanks for the heads up, I've not updated to the latest driver yet so will hold off on that.

If you look above at my pic, you'll see the dark character in the inventory screen. The new driver makes the game perform so much better though, it's buttery smooth so I don't think Freesync was working properly on the previous drivers. It's a trade off for me, the dark character really doesn't bother me.

Yay, my wish has been granted.

The Supernova mod I'm using to enable saving anywhere has been updated to include non-permanent death of companions!

https://www.nexusmods.com/theouterworlds/mods/8

You could save anywhere by just fast travelling back to your ship, which makes an autosave, then just reload that save which places you where you fast travelled from. Cheesy I know, but it was a work around.

Now, the companion not PD'ing....that's something I'm all over, they are useless on Supernova difficulty. It looks like if playing via Gamepass or just on Windows 10, it's a little trickier to get it working. What are you playing it on?

Soldato
If you look above at my pic, you'll see the dark character in the inventory screen. The new driver makes the game perform so much better though, it's buttery smooth so I don't think Freesync was working properly on the previous drivers. It's a trade off for me, the dark character really doesn't bother me.

You could save anywhere by just fast travelling back to your ship, which makes an autosave, then just reload that save which places you where you fast travelled from. Cheesy I know, but it was a work around.

Now, the companion not PD'ing....that's something I'm all over, they are useless on Supernova difficulty. It looks like if playing via Gamepass or just on Windows 10, it's a little trickier to get it working. What are you playing it on?

I got it on Epic Games Store.

Soldato
Yup, lots of options they can take this game. To be honest I think it’s ripe for DLC. In fact I expect that may be something we see happens except rather then being part of the MS pass, people may need to buy the DLC so those who may have only picked up MS pass for this game but enjoyed it, would need to pick up the pass again / stay on.

Associate
Finished this last night.
Overall it was a pretty fun game, though for me it doesn't have much, if any, replay value.

I thought the whole end level was absolutely horrible compared to the rest of the locations that you go to, it felt like the developers just couldn't be bothered to make anything interesting to do for the finale.

I didn't like that you can completely bypass & kill the final major enemy by simply hacking it.
That was a bit of a let down moment... I was expecting something more interesting to happen in that room than to just see the corpse of a machine on the floor with zero dialogue or alternative enemies.

Really I felt that the whole level was a bit crap compared to the rest of the game, I had almost nothing that I needed to do because of all the NPCs running around killing each other.
Then before I could even realise it was the end of the game, one of my companions one-shot the chairman with a pistol and it was all over...

Would also have been nice to be able to go back into the game after the end cutscene to play around on Scylla or Monarch with your massive collection weapons & armour.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yea no real replay value and no mod support. So it wont outlive FO3/new vagas.
Yeah, to be honest now a few days have gone by since I completed it, I have little desire to replay it. I may still buy it if they release some dlc worth playing in a few years once it is cheap on steam though. Rather support them than give money to Bethesda which have lost their way with the Fallout series.

Hopefully this is financially successful enough for them to make a sequel as I think they would make something much better by building on from this.

Associate
I'd be curious to find out how much money they're actually getting with a lot of us playing it via the Game Pass, I imagine they probably get a smaller cut from being in that catalogue compared to actual game sales.

Soldato
I'd be curious to find out how much money they're actually getting with a lot of us playing it via the Game Pass, I imagine they probably get a smaller cut from being in that catalogue compared to actual game sales.

Cut they (assuming you mean obsidian) are getting is kind of moot I expect given MS own the developer and game pass. Private division who published the game however probably got sorted out by MS, but rest of it is likely not important and MS are banking on a longer term strategy of roping people into the MS pass etc.

Associate

You need to take in to account how many people have the game pass , Millions ? if you take that in to account its going to be a lot of money.

Associate
You need to take in to account how many people have the game pass , Millions ? if you take that in to account its going to be a lot of money.
There'd probably need to be some sort of comparison of how many already had Game Pass vs new members to see how much is down to the game... I reckon it probably had a decent spike in uptake.
Would be cool to actually see how many new Game Passes were purchased around the time of this game's launch, though I don't think they release that data.

Soldato
Yeah, see my posts above, its the same complaint I have with the companions. I actually think that the companions having permadeath in Supernova mode must have been added in as an afterthought because I hired Pavrati or whatever her name was and she died before I even got back to my ship, yet when I went to the ship her room had all her stuff in it even though she had never set foot in the ship before she died.
Yea companion death is pretty shoehorned in, was probably a last minute decision, and an ugly one at that.

Soldato
MS may take a loss on it but hardly anyone was using the MS store on PC (because its crap). This is a ploy to attract more people for the long term

Caporegime
A subscription model is guaranteed income, not fluctuating based if a big AAA title is released.

Look at all the TV companies going over to subscription streaming. Obviously Netflix and Amazon Prime, but not Disney+, CBS all Access, Apple TV plus etc.

Back
Top Bottom