starter motor problem?

Associate
hi guys,
first off im very new to powered 2 wheel travel, and really dont know much about engines anyway

I have a piaggio xevo 125 scooter, which im using to commute from longton to crewe ( and to be fair i love it)

last few days i have been having an issue, which started after the heavy downpour of rain at the weekend
( i keep the bike outside, but covered with a rain cover- have no other option)

so the issue is. when i am trying to start it sometimes, it will try to start ( the starter motor goes through its process) but fails to start and it ends with a noise that sounds kind of like throwing a marble into a can

the first time, ( sunday) it took about 4 attempts, then started. didnt use the bike monday. tuesday it started first time, no marble noise, same wednesday. then this morning we are back to throwing marbles, and and it took 5 or 6 goes before it started. left it running for 5 minutes, nipped to shop, waited in there 10 mins, and scoot started first time

is this just a case of it being cold, because of the weather, and any body have any idea what the marble in a can noise is at the end of the starter cycle ( only when it faisl to start up though)

any advice, views woudl be appreciated.

thanks

Associate
As tom_e says, go for the battery and check the connections to the battery too. Start simple and don't dive in too deep.

The noise you refer to could be the CVT, worn bushes/rollers in the variator would make that marble in a can noise you refer to. It's quite common on mopeds as they all use that style of transmission.

Have a look at the vid below from 4 mins onwards, you can see what I mean as he strips apart the variator.

Back
Top Bottom