Road Cycling

Associate
I'm a long time campag man, hate shimano flappy brake levers

I was the same for years, until I got sick of the rear shifter breaking every couple of years or so (ratchet wore out so I got random shifts down rather than one cog). After the third set I went Shimano for the next bikes and I've had zero issues over 5 years. It didn't take long to get used to the levers moving. Admittedly I was comparing lower end Campag with Ultegra, but talking to the LBS (after I'd bought the bike so it wasn't anything sales related), they said they saw more issues with Campag than Shimano.

Soldato
Back onto my topic ;)

Leading the way is a Dolan RDX now, and I’d swap the shimano rx010 wheels out for a set of Hunt & Mason 4 season disc (significantly lighter, tubeless ready, 3 year warranty).

Also forgo the saddle as I know it wouldn’t suit.

I might drop them an email or call tomorrow to see how that would affect the price. A 58cm looks to be good for me.

I had seen a few 63cm Kinesis new & used but that would just be too big. There’s a 60cm T3 frame on the bay I have on my watch list still!

Any thoughts or suggestions? Wheels about £300ish I just wanted to step up from the bottom end range but no disc experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was the same for years, until I got sick of the rear shifter breaking every couple of years or so (ratchet wore out so I got random shifts down rather than one cog). After the third set I went Shimano for the next bikes and I've had zero issues over 5 years. It didn't take long to get used to the levers moving. Admittedly I was comparing lower end Campag with Ultegra, but talking to the LBS (after I'd bought the bike so it wasn't anything sales related), they said they saw more issues with Campag than Shimano.

at any given time I've usually got a couple of bikes passing through so I've played with plenty of shimano shifters. The flap is still annoying. I've only ever killed one campag shifter, and I did it in a big crash which snapped the body clean in half...

Associate
`so I had an accident a week ago involving a pedestrian walking out in front of me at 30 mph in which I broke a vertebrae and totalled my bike I have he details cant decide whether to just send the bill for the bike or go down the legal root any advice would be appreciated

Soldato
Returns start to diminish rapidly above about £1500-2000

is a1 £1000 bike £500 better than a £500 one? definitely.
is a £4000 bike £2000 better than a £2000 one? much more subjective. For most people, nah.
Those price brackets can obviously be totally different between brands! ;)

Like when a £2000 bike doesn't even get you complete 105... It even seems to be worse this year due to the poor pound:euro exchange :o

Any thoughts or suggestions? Wheels about £300ish I just wanted to step up from the bottom end range but no disc experience.
The Fulcrums have always been a good solid well regarded disc wheelset. They where one of the earliest brands to make an affordable off the shelf road disc orientated wheelset. I think even before Hunt! But the 4 Seasons are great for the money. Did hear some issues people mentioned about their nipples (oh-er!) but no idea what it was or if resolved. 3 year warranty is supreme as well.

`so I had an accident a week ago involving a pedestrian walking out in front of me at 30 mph in which I broke a vertebrae and totalled my bike I have he details cant decide whether to just send the bill for the bike or go down the legal root any advice would be appreciated
With a broken vertibre I can't believe you're not going the legal route! Huge injury to give someone the opportunity to skimp on blame for by giving them the chance to only pay for a new bike. Sure hope the police where involved so you at least have an incident number to give to your insurers. Can only recommend you go the personal injury route, at least to cover the bike, equipment, time off work and some compensation for what could be a life changing injury (if not now, in future you're likely to have ongoing issues with a damaged vertebae as you get older!). :o

Soldato
at any given time I've usually got a couple of bikes passing through so I've played with plenty of shimano shifters. The flap is still annoying. I've only ever killed one campag shifter, and I did it in a big crash which snapped the body clean in half...

The Campag Veloce shifter on my winter hack snapped completely in half in my hand one day.
The hoods on Campag are awful as well. Definitely do not lend well to getting totes aero.
I will be Campag free soon... winter jobber will be Ulteg 6800 and good bike eTap and some Force 22 bits. Cannot wait to be free of Campag.

Soldato

Ouch, hope the injuries are not going to last forever, based upon my experience of accidents, go down the formal route, any option to be nice and avoid it has always led in more pain and misery.

Re Shimano flappy shifters, if you get Di2 you don't have this issue, just something to consider! :D

Soldato
Back onto my topic ;)

Leading the way is a Dolan RDX now, and I’d swap the shimano rx010 wheels out for a set of Hunt & Mason 4 season disc (significantly lighter, tubeless ready, 3 year warranty).

Also forgo the saddle as I know it wouldn’t suit.

I might drop them an email or call tomorrow to see how that would affect the price. A 58cm looks to be good for me.

I had seen a few 63cm Kinesis new & used but that would just be too big. There’s a 60cm T3 frame on the bay I have on my watch list still!

I've got Mavic Aksium Disc Elite USTs on my RDX - got them from Rose for £210. Thought that was a great price given they come with tyres (Mavic re-branded Hutchinson Fusion5), and tubeless bits (sealant, syringe etc). Tyres were already mounted, so a doddle to setup as tubeless.

Sigma have the 6 bolt version for £239 at the moment

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Mavic/Aksium-Elite-UST-28mm-Disc-6-Bolt-Clincher-Wheelset-2019/JWFX

Soldato
oh i know that. a 105 di2 would solve everything....

Would hope now they have GRX done and out of the way the 105 should be next to come. The GRX Di2 brake levers are a stroke of genius for a gravel based bike, really odd they've only got this style on the Di2 and not the others. They don't feel naturally comfortable as the shape is almost MTB lever esque but give it 2 minutes and the way you grab them from the hoods is just perfect.

Soldato
Would hope now they have GRX done and out of the way the 105 should be next to come. The GRX Di2 brake levers are a stroke of genius for a gravel based bike, really odd they've only got this style on the Di2 and not the others. They don't feel naturally comfortable as the shape is almost MTB lever esque but give it 2 minutes and the way you grab them from the hoods is just perfect.

Just a higher pivot for a more pronounced hood allowing more of a grabby lever isn't it? They probably done it for the top Di2 ones for all the 'pro' types to see how popular they become before trickling it down.

How do you find the calipers? They have a different modulation or slower braking system for more modulation or something don't they?

In other news, Adam Blythe announces retirement. Such a shame, but he's never really been held onto by a team, also never really turned a large Pro win. British National and RideLondon Classic 2014 are his only real results. Great guy though and hope he continues commentary on ES/etc.

Soldato
Decent jobbing rider, but probably approaching the stage in his career where the media work is more lucrative, and definitely more of a long term option.

Soldato
Just a higher pivot for a more pronounced hood allowing more of a grabby lever isn't it? They probably done it for the top Di2 ones for all the 'pro' types to see how popular they become before trickling it down.

How do you find the calipers? They have a different modulation or slower braking system for more modulation or something don't they?

Pretty much as described, calipers are the same I believe, just rebranded, it's all in the lever. When I pitted bike the other day I almost had an accident as I thought I had no brakes, but it was just because I was so used to applying the lower pressure.

Associate
by the way chaps, veloflex just launched a new design for their clincher range. a lot of clearance sale on older models at the moment. just ordered 4 25mm off ebay for 98 euro inc shipping.

Soldato
Considering that includes tyres that's a stonking deal! I've never been much of a Mavic fan but UST has really driven road tubeless forwards and is one of the best. Really like the way they supply rims with tyres and design them as a package.

Decent jobbing rider, but probably approaching the stage in his career where the media work is more lucrative, and definitely more of a long term option.
Yup, although he's only 30. Would've thought him being great friends with PhilGil they'd have ridden together more, maybe even ended up on the same teams but never did.

Pretty much as described, calipers are the same I believe, just rebranded, it's all in the lever. When I pitted bike the other day I almost had an accident as I thought I had no brakes, but it was just because I was so used to applying the lower pressure.
Haha, would/will certainly take some getting used to! Good to hear its all lever, how do you find the clutched RD? I've always meant to go the Ultegra RX route but last time I changed it totally forgot to price it up.

by the way chaps, veloflex just launched a new design for their clincher range. a lot of clearance sale on older models at the moment. just ordered 4 25mm off ebay for 98 euro inc shipping.
Links to deals plx! ;)

Totally unrelated, but anyone seen 'The Program'? Thought it was quite cool in a not-quite-fiction type of cycling drama. There's a film that follows the final year of David Millars Pro career called 'Time Trial'. I've never been able to track it down, anyone seen it and as it worth buying the dvd or such?

In other news, I knew I was onto something. Mudguards are more aero!

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha, would/will certainly take some getting used to! Good to hear its all lever, how do you find the clutched RD? I've always meant to go the Ultegra RX route but last time I changed it totally forgot to price it up.

Links to deals plx! ;)

Unless you're doing serious off road, wouldn't bother tbh, especially if you're not 1x. The GRX was significantly more than an Ultegra mech too and if I wasn't racing it I definitely wouldn't have bothered.

Soldato
There's a film that follows the final year of David Millars Pro career called 'Time Trial'. I've never been able to track it down, anyone seen it and as it worth buying the dvd or such?

Pretentious arty farty nonsense. Don't bother.
Eat Sleep Win is the docu on Amazon Prime that follows the chef for Mitchelton-Scott and is very good.
The Schleck brothers movie "The Road Uphill", also on Prime, is good also.

Soldato
Ah ok, good shout on the Schlecks one. The other half has Prime for a few days so ideal opportunity! :D

EDIT: It's been a slow day here so have caught up with some reading while sat on support

Strava drop sensor support from their app. Pretty big really. I know us 'hardcore' users don't really use Stravas app for seriously recording lots of stuff, or at least not with lots of sensors, but I think those 'lite' users who would start using it, grab a HRM and then transition to a head unit/fitness watch will now not have that bridge. I can see those users not really using Strava as their primary 'social' platform then as so many others have social elements bolted on them now too. Interesting to see how it pans out. Has made me think a little about ditching Stava Summit and putting the money towards TP but I still don't understand it enough to get anything from it. The Strava Fitness & Freshness thing is just so darn slick and easy for a quick look at.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it worth having centre lock rather than 6 bolt discs? I guess less likely to have runout issues with centre lock but I could be wrong?

Dolan would give a slight discount for no wheels & saddle... see how that 3T goes on eBay first ;)

Soldato
centrelock is 6, bolted is half a dozen. There's no meaningful difference between them in use.

i'd put it to the bottom of the decisionmaking pile

Back
Top Bottom