• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Associate
Clearly this isn’t the place I can have worthwhile discussion about Stadia without people telling me it’s a fail before it’s even begun so I’ll leave it there.

Exactly. Console gamers see the potential demise of their favoured platform in Stadia, hence the hate and paranoia.

For me personally, the PC is where i do all my gaming but if Stadia has some great exclusives on their platform, i'll definitely purchase the games.

Associate
Exactly. Console gamers see the potential demise of their favoured platform in Stadia, hence the hate and paranoia.

For me personally, the PC is where i do all my gaming but if Stadia has some great exclusives on their platform, i'll definitely purchase the games.

I'm other way around, I don't have pc anymore, I'm a Mac user with Xbox and switch, so stadia could be interesting....

Soldato

I'm pretty sure most people said they would like it to be as good as its claimed but they aren't blind to the fact that there will likely be inherent issues regarding bandwidth usage etc.

You are almost trying to belittle "console gamers" for having some loyalty (something I think is stupid anyway) yet you are doing exactly the same thing by maintaining your PC master race attitude and ignoring the positives in console hardware.

Soldato
Also to add, no one I know at work (and I work with lots of Pc and Console gamers) has even mentioned Stadia. The only talk was when I initiated it and reminded people it even existed.

The discreet marketing of this supposedly gamechanging technology doesn't make a great deal of sense either.

It is less than a month away, hardware is being delivered post launch (disappointing for pre order people) and no one can really work out what it even offers. Is it like Netflix for consoles? Nope.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Also to add, no one I know at work (and I work with lots of Pc and Console gamers) has even mentioned Stadia. The only talk was when I initiated it and reminded people it even existed.

The discreet marketing of this supposedly gamechanging technology doesn't make a great deal of sense either.

It is less than a month away, hardware is being delivered post launch (disappointing for pre order people) and no one can really work out what it even offers. Is it like Netflix for consoles? Nope.
You are wasting your time mate, he is set in his ways and thinks he is right and everyone else is wrong. Lol.

Man of Honour
Using rollback netcode would be a big deal for game streaming, but it needs to effectively add a huge chunk of processing for every frame of rollback (effectively running at 240fps for a 4 frame rollback for example).

That makes the service much more interesting if you can put up with the artifacts it generates to provide effectively zero input lag.

It would still need to be a Game Pass style service rather than a monthly fee plus paying full price for games to get me on board though.

Soldato
I agree. Why am I going to pay £50 for Red Dead 2 when I can get it for £25 on Xbox One X?

That's the part that has missed the mark most for me, you pay full RRP to buy a game that you can then only play on Stadia.

If you buy your own PC later then you have to buy the game again and if you stop paying for Stadia (or Google kills it) then your game is gone too.

I've got a fibre connection and no dedicated gaming PC so am in their target market but I can't see any reason to get involved when consoles are very affordable and have a massive back catalogue full of great (cheap) games.

Associate
That's the part that has missed the mark most for me, you pay full RRP to buy a game that you can then only play on Stadia.

If you buy your own PC later then you have to buy the game again and if you stop paying for Stadia (or Google kills it) then your game is gone too.

I've got a fibre connection and no dedicated gaming PC so am in their target market but I can't see any reason to get involved when consoles are very affordable and have a massive back catalogue full of great (cheap) games.

Sigh...

You’d have had to have paid full RRP for Spider-Man initially that you could only play on the PS4 so...

If you buy the game, it’s your game to play whenever. You only pay for the pro subscription which gives you 4K/60 with free games ala PlayStation Plus.

If you decided to stick with the base level (1080/60), then you can still play your bought games. This is free for everyone.

If you’re thinking your in the target market yet think that consoles are more affordable then you probably aren’t the target market.

Stadia is essentially allowing you to game without the need to buy any future consoles. No downloads, no patches. You pay, you’re playing pretty much instantly.

Soldato
I just watched an interview with some Stadia people and what they mentioned which I didn't think of is that they are always upgrading the hardware.

Of course we have to believe that Google plan to keep moving forward with Stadia and not kill it, but you're paying £120 for a 'console' that is always upgrading. No need to buy the 'X' or 'Pro' version of a console a few years later, or the next generation.

So it is a MUCH lower cost of entry especially if you think of it as a console for life kind of way.

We all know it comes down to the price of the games. If they got a good price then it's fine. But I can't see anything in the world competing with Steam sales.

I doubt you're going to be able to get stadia keys from third party sites either and of course no second hand market like there is with consoles.

I do like the idea of playing on my PC and then when the 4K TV is free moving over to that in the living room to play on. But I have a Raspberry Pi and Steam Link for that and it seems to work well.

Soldato
Of course we have to believe that Google plan to keep moving forward with Stadia and not kill it, but you're paying £120 for a 'console' that is always upgrading. No need to buy the 'X' or 'Pro' version of a console a few years later, or the next generation.

So it is a MUCH lower cost of entry especially if you think of it as a console for life kind of way.

Cost of entry is much lower, yes. But then Stadia Pro is ~£100/year. So £720 outlay over 6 years. That's not hugely different from the cost of going PS4 to PS4 Pro, plus 6 years of PS+.

I expect game pricing could be the big difference though. Pricing will apparently be in line with other digital platforms. So £59.99 for Modern Warfare, vs £40 for a retail copy on disk? That'll add up quickly over a six year life cycle.

The free tier does seem like a solid option for people who only play a few games. If you're really in to FIFA and aren't bothered about 4K, for example, then there's potentially some really good value on offer here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom