Knock Knock - Trick or Treat! What do you do?

Associate
My father was the grumpiest git on Halloween slamming doors on people.

Now I'm a father we love handing out treats and playing tricks. It's one day of the year or two for those special ones, and tbf it's quite enjoyable.

Soldato
If we get more than another couple I'm going to just hold out the really useful box and say take a handful:)

I certainly made that mistake tonight.

Despite living in a well built up area we didn't have anyone knock on our door till about 8:30ish. At which point there was a group of about 15-20 kids, some old, some young, no parents around. Anyway I stand there with the tub and they all just lunge in with as big of a handful as possible. Felt like I'd proper been mugged :D.

It was our first Halloween as we've just moved out of a flat, so was probably very naive on my part to have all the sweets in the bucket and just letting them grab handfuls. I don't think they'd have listened if I'd have said 1 or 2 each.

I think next year I will have to just buy a smaller tub and then keep it topped up to stop greedy kids grabbing handfuls.

Soldato
? ? for living in a cul-de-sac?
He didn’t say that it was a 3.75 million pound Town House.
You're a bit late to the party my little ouef. It was said tongue in cheek, hence the smiley.

We had one knock at the door last night and it was one of our neighbours in another detached house a few doors down with a bag of sweets asking why the kids hadn't been out trick or treating (they had been earlier, but at a friend's place in a nearby town).

Soldato
Village has a "no decorations, no knocking" policy so have never had a problem since moving here
The reminds me of an episode of..... X files I think.

Dream village with beautiful gardens and everyone friendly..... Turned out anyone who broke the rules got killed :D
(It was likely 20 years ago so details could be off)

Soldato
You're a bit late to the party my little ouef. It was said tongue in cheek, hence the smiley.

We had one knock at the door last night and it was one of our neighbours in another detached house a few doors down with a bag of sweets asking why the kids hadn't been out trick or treating (they had been earlier, but at a friend's place in a nearby town).

Reverse trick or treating, where you go around with sweets knocking on peoples doors to give them away! :D

Soldato
That’s in the U.S., I’ve spent many Halloweens in rented vacation homes there, lights on, including porch or verandah lights, but no pumpkins or ghoulish stuff, kids give you a miss.
Over here, everyone is considered fair game, I always move my wife’s car from the drive, into the garage, in case the disappointed trainee chavs get the zig when they get no answer, and take it out on her car.

Took mine with a few other parents/kids last night.

We stuck to this rule (as did others by the look of it).

Worked well.

Soldato
We had loads last night! I promptly tell them 1 each before they dive in and it's great watching them then take their time looking to see what's on offer before choosing wisely :D

No Maltesers or skittles left though :( Actually nothing left, milkybars were the last to go!

Soldato
Reverse trick or treating, where you go around with sweets knocking on peoples doors to give them away! :D
Haha yeah, I think he was genuinely disappointed that kids don't trick or treat down here anymore and he'd bought a load of sweets. We have next door neighbours with kids but they are very religious and every year put up a sign saying no trick or treaters which is why we go to friends roads now (the rest of the people in our cul-de-sac probably average age 60+).

Soldato
We had loads again this year, got my mum over with the promise of dinner so I could actually concentrate on cooking without having to answer the door every five minutes. We get a range of ages from tiny kids up to about 12. We got rid of around 150 bags of haribo and a couple of tubs of smaller chews and what not. We quite like decorating for halloween anyway and it's a nice community feel with the kids and parents going round so happy to spend £20 on sweets for the neighborhood.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
No-one came. We just moved into a new area with not many kids in the street - Ive only seen 1 about age 5 in the last month. It made me think I'd got the date in Australia wrong - nope, it was also October 31. A bit disappointing.

Soldato
Usually I'm content just to ignore Halloween and not participate. As with someone else above, my living room is at the back of the house so I just turn the lights off at the front and ignore it. I also have two dogs would get excited by the doorbell, so I'd rather not have it going off all night.
However, given that last Halloween cost me £400 due to some mouth breathers vandalising my car, I actively despise it and have half a mind to camp out on the driveway with a pickaxe in case they come back for another try this year :mad:

Where did you get that fixed in the end?

Soldato
My bad, the smiley didn’t register, and not for nothing, but if I’m going to
be a French egg, can I be un oeuf, not ouef, and un bon oeuf at that?
Haha, you didn't fall into my fake reverse attempt at a humblebrag Halloween trap/trick! (The neighbour story is true otherwise but he lives in a semi).

Soldato
Where did you get that fixed in the end?

See post #40 in that thread...I can't remember his full name, but he was someone who was recommended to me. Runs his own bodyshop down near Wrotham. Seems very under the radar, no website, but seemed to have plenty of business and did an excellent job.
Car was parked on the drive last night - luckily no incidents this year.

Back
Top Bottom