Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Any advice for exterior plastics? I clean my car and it's like a mirror but the exterior plastics dry and they look dirty so I go at them again and again until they are clean.

Any good products/materials for arches skirts etc?
poorboys world natural look dressing is quite good.

doesn't last "long" but last between washes.

Associate
For dirty window rubbers and trim I use Meguiars All purpose cleaner and agitate with a soft brush. For trim restoration that really lasts Gtechniq C4 permanent trim restorer has been really really good. Shorter term Meguiars endurance tyre gel gives a nice matt finish if you remove the excess with a microfibre.

Associate
Are they dirty or just faded/patchy.

Just dirty, it's a new car but the plastics just don't seem to clean up well. I will try some of the products suggested because right now it's taking me longer to remove all the dirt from the exterior plastics than cleaning the rest of the car :o

I think I have it all then it dries.

Soldato
Any advice for exterior plastics? I clean my car and it's like a mirror but the exterior plastics dry and they look dirty so I go at them again and again until they are clean.

Any good products/materials for arches skirts etc?
I’ve just started using auto Glym bumper protector and for the money it’s really good.;

Soldato
Used the new Nilfisk I bought a month or so ago for the first time today on my new car. Very impressed. Took me a while to do and a few times got tangled in hose, power, lance cables but nothing that annoyed me :). Next time I need to wipe down inside doors etc. When I opened the boot of the MX-5 before heading out I found a nice collection of foam around the boot lid.
I used all Autoglym products (Polar blast, wash, seal). I found I needed about half the snowfoam mixture (500ml or so was used as per the label) but could have done with more wash. I also ran out of the seal mixture before finishing too (just over 200ml total) although I might not have been very efficient with the application. I also forgot to keep it off the windscreen.
Great bit of kit for just under £60. Doesn't feel cheap either. The lance etc, lance cable all nice and robust looking.
Thanks for the forum recommendations!

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks to lots of help and tips (particularly @xs2man i did my first (proper) deep car clean

Enjoyed the snow foam (once i finally fit the CYC adaptor to my nilfisk c110! Its a very tight fit)

Clay didnt seem to do much/i possibly didn't use enough? Made a right old mess

The glass stage took forever! Dont think ill bother with that again. It did however wipe an odd mark in one of the mirrors so im pleased with that!

Didnt do a proper wheel wash, think ill buy a wheel brush (seen one online that looked like a toilet brush?)

The polish(poor boys black hole) /sealant (menzerna power lock) were both great and fairly easy to use

Pretty pleased with the result.

Does anyone have any recommended/low time/cost/effort wheel cleaners or can i just brush them when the snow foams on?

oAowLoi.jpg

M3bBOfc.jpg

(yes i did clean the mess just gives an indication of colour :D:eek:)

Xmq7quY.jpg

tRz1HzL.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks to lots of help and tips (particularly @xs2man i did my first (proper) deep car clean

Enjoyed the snow foam (once i finally fit the CYC adaptor to my nilfisk c110! Its a very tight fit)

Clay didnt seem to do much/i possibly didn't use enough? Made a right old mess

The glass stage took forever! Dont think ill bother with that again. It did however wipe an odd mark in one of the mirrors so im pleased with that!

Didnt do a proper wheel wash, think ill buy a wheel brush (seen one online that looked like a toilet brush?)

The polish(poor boys black hole) /sealant (menzerna power lock) were both great and fairly easy to use

Pretty pleased with the result.

Does anyone have any recommended/low time/cost/effort wheel cleaners or can i just brush them when the snow foams on?

No problem. Looks great.

Surprised you didn't notice much difference with the clay. I always feel the difference when I use it. It wont make a visible difference as such, but you should definitely feel the difference. Unless it was already in good shape anyway.

Yeah, glass takes a while, but if you used the Gtechniq G1, you will notice that you only have to do that once every year or so. The rest of the time is just wash as normal, and you will keep the "finish" for at least a year (in my experience).

As for recommendations for wheel cleaner. I have used a few in the past, but have settled on Auto Finesse Imperial. I buy it as a concentrate, and mix to what I need to do. If the wheels are heavily soiled, then it'll be neater. But that is only really required for the first wash of the wheels. Once they are done, and protected, then a much less concentrated mix can be used. I had a set of terrible wheels (old land rover wheels), and nothing I used could clean them well enough. But the Auto finesse eventually got them respectable. And once your buying concentrate, it works out cost effective too. You just spray it on, leave it 5 mins or so, then agitate with your brush (maybe with a quick spray again to keep it wet), then rinse off. Then appy further protection if required. (I once took the wheels off, cleaned, claybar, polished then Gtechniq C5, but that took about 1.5-2 hours per wheel, ha ha. Wouldn't fancy that again).

Soldato
Claying a car is a really soothing process, you can hear the difference between a non clayed part and one that has been done.

It's also really useful for getting aphid tree sap that's hardened off windscreens.

I need to give my new car a full detail and protect when we have some decent weather, I'll pay someone to give it a polish with a DA when spring comes as I can see a fair bit of swirling and some light scratches on the passenger wing. Shame for just a 2.5 year old car but it can be corrected pretty easily.

Soldato
Tips for properly cleaning glass? Used all manner of glass cleaners but the windscreen seems to have outlines of where the warehouse stickers were. I've seen claybars mentioned but have a feeling these marks are on the inside and don't think using a claybar on the inside is wise..

Soldato
Tips for properly cleaning glass? Used all manner of glass cleaners but the windscreen seems to have outlines of where the warehouse stickers were. I've seen claybars mentioned but have a feeling these marks are on the inside and don't think using a claybar on the inside is wise..
You need to use glass polish for things like that

Soldato
Tried that but no joy.. perhaps it's just the wrong ratio of polish to elbow grease though.. :D

I managed to remove a lot of grease/glue what ever it was on the screen with a combo of -;

polish
strong APC
99% alcohol
finished with ceramic glass sealant.

took a while and 2x goes with glass polish but it was off.

Associate
After a bit of advice. 7-8 weeks ago I had an unplanned trip with a cat which promptly emptied itself over the back seats. I had a car wash place wet vac them which seemed to get rid of the problem temporarily.

However, they are now putrid again. What product can I use to lift the odur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom