**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Soldato
How do you find the general performance of the S10+ ? My girlfriends S9+ always seems a bit sluggish/laggy in the way Samsung devices of old always seemed to be, has this been improved recently? Even in the review of the P30 above, it's noted that that phone runs noticeably more smoothly than the Samsung in day to day usage. It always seem rather jarring going from the Pixel to her phone! This is one thing that puts me off them a bit if I'm honest.

The S10+ is proper smooth and very slick. It's replaced a OnePlus 6 which was also rapid.

Happy with my new device. The screen is gorgeous, the speaker sound is bright and crisp, the OS is very smooth and never see any slowdown. The battery gets me through the day, which is surprising considering the signal is shocking out here.

It does have that iPhone \ iOS level of slick which has been missing from Android phones over the years.

Associate
And just as November rolls around, I finally get October's security update. Still nothing about Beta though, anyone managed to get on it?

As for cases, I'm using a Spigen clear case off Amazon. Managed to throw my phone along the street a couple weeks ago, slipped out of my hand then instead of catching it, managed to yeet it down the road. Instantly cringed fearing the worst, but survived pretty easily, barely a mark on the case even. Only downside is that it seems to collect dust and dirt underneath the case, so I clean it out occasionally, but no discolouration that can happen with cheap clear cases.

Soldato
And just as November rolls around, I finally get October's security update. Still nothing about Beta though, anyone managed to get on it?

Got the BETA last week through the Samsung members update. Need an unlocked sim free model though apparently.

Received the November update before the end of October! :D

Associate
Ah, so if you're locked to EE like me, you won't be able to get beta at all? Slightly annoying that they're not exactly clear about requirements to be signed up, and they put a banner in the members' app but it doesn't work. :rolleyes:

I thought the beta would come to locked phones slightly later rather than not at all. Oh well, let's just see if I get the full release before the end of the year...

Soldato
The S10+ is proper smooth and very slick. It's replaced a OnePlus 6 which was also rapid.

Happy with my new device. The screen is gorgeous, the speaker sound is bright and crisp, the OS is very smooth and never see any slowdown. The battery gets me through the day, which is surprising considering the signal is shocking out here.

It does have that iPhone \ iOS level of slick which has been missing from Android phones over the years.

Exactly the same thoughts from me too. OneUI is the best Android implementation to date that Samsung has released. The S10+ is a beast and the best all round phone IMO. I have a OP7T and although that is fast Oxygen OS (Android 10) is very buggy and I'm happy to stick with the S10+. The only downer I can think of is the fingerprint scanner which is extremely hit and miss.

Soldato

As for cases, I'm using a Spigen clear case off Amazon. Managed to throw my phone along the street a couple weeks ago, slipped out of my hand then instead of catching it, managed to yeet it down the road. Instantly cringed fearing the worst, but survived pretty easily, barely a mark on the case even. Only downside is that it seems to collect dust and dirt underneath the case, so I clean it out occasionally, but no discolouration that can happen with cheap clear cases.

I got my S10e about two weeks ago (to replace my S8) - I was very surprised to see that my S10e only had September security updates to install, where as the S8 I was moving from had it's October security updates on about the 2nd October.
My S8 was running Pie as is the S10e, so I just kinda assumed when one got the security updates they both got them.

Associate

Exactly the same thoughts from me too. OneUI is the best Android implementation to date that Samsung has released. The S10+ is a beast and the best all round phone IMO. I have a OP7T and although that is fast Oxygen OS (Android 10) is very buggy and I'm happy to stick with the S10+. The only downer I can think of is the fingerprint scanner which is extremely hit and miss.

Thanks for your input both :)

The S10+ has now become something of a unexpected front runner now in the battle for my new phone.

My girlfriend let me try her S9+ last night, and I have to take back what I said, it's not laggy, far from it, it's plenty fast. I just think the animations seem a bit crude in comparison with the Pixel, and I'm still not a massive fan of the UI, but these are all easily addressed.

I have seen enough about the new Pixel 4 / 4 XL to persuade me that these are very flawed devices, and I have had countless issues with my 2 XL. Even the one I RMA'd has come back with a dodgy power button :( so that's the end of the road for Pixels for me.

The OnePlus phones look tempting, but this talk of all the bugs (and stoosh is not the first person I've seen to mention this) is really quite off putting. Samsung may be slightly behind with their updates but it doesn't really matter now IMO, not for my usage anyway. The other issues are that it doesn't have wireless charging (I find this so convenient and have missed it ever since trading my S7E for the 2 XL), and the camera is good but not as good as rivals, and this is an important feature for me.

Finally, there's the Howay phones, but while they look excellent and tick many boxes on paper, my concern is over future updates (or lack thereof, particularly with this little trade disagreement going on) and the fact many have said EMUI is not a great system - not bad, but not great.

Which brings me back to the S10+. It's got a good camera, with that all important ultrawide that the Pixel lacks, as well as the telephoto. The selfie cam appears to have a wide mode too. It has wireless charging, good battery life, and a headphone jack. The screen is still class leading, and overall, I would be surprised if there wasn't some half decent black friday deals around. I can't think of a better all rounder. The one thing that does concern me is the finger print sensor though, it really does sound crap. Otherwise though, all the rivals have some big flaws too, but none of them for me can quite offer the all round ability of the S10+. I don't need the S-Pen and the lack of headphone jack and alleged fragility put me off it's Note 10 brother.

Soldato
RE: The OnePlus bugs that have been mentioned on here, has anyone actually identified what they are? I have a 7t Pro and haven't encountered any (that I know of).
I'm not being a fanboy or anything but I see a few different threads mention OnePlus buggy software but never elaborate beyond that.
For me the software experience is at least on a par with the Samsung's for reliability if not better.

Associate
Also regarding fingerprint scanner, I've had no problems whatsoever with mine. It's fast and consistently works, even with screen protector on. It's improved massively with software updates, so any reviews from release might no longer be accurate.

Soldato
My girlfriend let me try her S9+ last night, and I have to take back what I said, it's not laggy, far from it, it's plenty fast. I just think the animations seem a bit crude in comparison with the Pixel, and I'm still not a massive fan of the UI, but these are all easily addressed.
first thing I do when i get new phone ( has been Samsung S line for past 4 years) is enable Developer options and disable all animations.

Associate
Also regarding fingerprint scanner, I've had no problems whatsoever with mine. It's fast and consistently works, even with screen protector on. It's improved massively with software updates, so any reviews from release might no longer be accurate.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m really close to pulling the trigger at the moment. I can’t really see any downsides and my personal ones can be fixed easily enough.

first thing I do when i get new phone ( has been Samsung S line for past 4 years) is enable Developer options and disable all animations.

Not a fan of doing that, each to their own though :) It’s not a big deal really. In the past you could get different transitions by using different home launchers anyway.

Associate
It's not a bad idea to use the Dev options to increase the speed of the animations, it makes the phone feel a bit quicker and snappier, but it's not needed, they feel fine at stock. Just removing them altogether feels a bit weird for me.

Associate
Yep, can totally understand that, just not for me personally, it’s nice to have just a bit of an animation. Although if they were choppy then I would turn them off for sure (like I used to on old slow Windows boxes).

Soldato
@FishLicker No probs Mate. Glad that the input had helped in your decision making process.
Another bonus with the updates is the Samsung port over features from their Note lineup to the current S line. Dex for PC and link for Windows as well as other camera features were included in the latest software update. They may take their time but the stuff Samsung add I guess makes it worth the wait.

In the past I've heavily favoured OnePlus devices and have literally owned every OnePlus device but I can honestly say that the S10+ has kept me from using the OP7T also the buggy software hasn't helped. The issues that I've personally had is that Google Services don't play ball with Google Pay and Chrome Autofill doesn't recognise any of my bank cards and certain APKs crash stating there's insufficient space but I think that's an Android 10 thing.

XDA made a great post on the issues on the current OP Android 10 ROM.

Link below :

https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-7t-pro-xda-review/amp/

OP will push updates and once the bugs that I have been experiencing have been fixed I may use the phone.

I also owned a P30 Pro Dual SIM 256GB which was a great device but there was something lacking and OneUI ran rings around EMUI. The DAC on the Kirin chip isn't that great either and multimedia viewing / listening on the phone isn't exactly mind blowing.

Lastly the camera isn't as good as YouTubers say and it does and IMO the S10+ takes more consistent pictures and videos wise the S10+ is superior. Again with software updates the P30 Pro will improve like the Mate 20 series did but ATM the S10+ is the better phone....plus it has a headphone jack if that is really important to you.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
My HK S10e just got a 150MB odd update. This morning there were no updates so it's something that's just been pushed out. It does not contain the November update which Samsung pushed out a couple of days ago in Sweden I believe.

The changelog simply notes fingerprint reader algorithm update but the S10e never had any issues with FP, that is S10/+ and Note 10 only so no idea what this is all about.

Edit*
It DOES contain the November update. Sweet.

VHBhqxe.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
@stoosh thanks for that again mate very useful indeed.

My refurb pixel 2 XL has died after 2 days so I desperately need something else.

The question is I have this iPhone again to borrow but should I just take the plunge now or wait until Black Friday ?

I can get an A grade s10 plus from somewhere with a 6 month warranty for £520, seems alright? Or just wait... thoughts?

Associate
Maybe I should have been more specific. It's good, but it's not S10+ good imo. The panels themselves are both very good AFAIK, with I believe the S10 just edging in brightness to cope with bright sunlight, and having a slightly higher res for 1440p content in the few places that have it. The notch is the main thing that bothers me though. Whilst the corner hole-punch isn't ideal, I find it must less intrusive than the wide notch.

The iphone 11 pro/ pro max generally is brighter than the s10+/ note 10+. An S10 can get brighter but under only under bright sunlight conditions. An Iphone can get brighter when it detects HDR. But in general everyday usage the iphone is brighter. WHere I do agree with you is the res difference. Whether it the S10 or N10 head to head with an iphone 11 pro/pro max there is more detail. Becuase the Iphone gets brighter in general with HDR content or what not it also mean there is more dynamic range as well or at least that how it seems to me. The downside with the higher res and larger screen (N10+)and with it being android the iphone will last quite a bit longer battery life wise.

In my personal usage I found the s10+ and N10+ more than adequate to being very good. And maybe in previous years apple users got the short end of the stick battery life wise. But I can pretty much assure you in the iphone 11 iteration they have been paid back and then some. The s10+/N10+ easily lasts me a day with plenty left in the tank but this pale in comparison to the i11 pro max I am using.

I am looking forward to the S10 lite as that suppose to have a 4500mah battery so that should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom