Metal Detecting.

Soldato
Has anyone done, or does this as a hobby? I just picked up a cheapy one to get started and looking at Garrett i think they are. Found sod all today though.

Caporegime
Has anyone done, or does this as a hobby? I just picked up a cheapy one to get started and looking at Garrett i think they are. Found sod all today though.

Used to do it, sadly I never found anything major. Still have a Garrett in the garage actually :p

Mate of mine has found a few coins over the years

Soldato
OP
The shop I got mine recommended Garrett will look into them. I bought new boots, lunch etc all for nothing lol. I'll keep at it, my Grandad used to do it a lot.

Soldato
Did a bit a few months back. First haul here, https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32872620.

I bought a pin pointer also which can be useful. You have to be an enthusiast i reckon which I just wasn't. Ended up finding it boring, you find 99% junk, bottle tops, tinfoil, nails, bolts, screws, other bits of rusty metal.

I may try again next summer in warmer weather but not in this freezing conditions.

Any questions just ask.

Soldato
I go out a few times a year, have a Garret ace 250, really good detector for starters

Just make sure you have permissions and are not trespassing, and if you want to go one the beach, make sure its not private, and if its a Crown beach you can get a certificate type thing to take with you in case anyone ask you

Soldato
Best to do a quick search on the net and see what sites come up the cheapest, but I got all my stuff from regton. Com, a pinpointer can be handy

Caporegime
if its a Crown beach you can get a certificate type thing to take with you in case anyone ask you

that's pretty cool - everything up to the high water mark is crown property IIRC* so you could even do parts of a private beach

incidentally this is in effect not just in the UK - but for example the British Virgin Islands - for example you could (in theory) go have a beach picnic at Branson's private island if you wanted without having to pay him anything as part of the beaches are crown territory but in reality his security team might try and get a bit funny with you.

*except for Orkney and Shetland where some old school Norwegian system of law is still relevant.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
that's pretty cool - everything up to the high water mark is crown property IIRC* so you could even do parts of a private beach

incidentally this is in effect not just in the UK - but for example the British Virgin Islands - for example you could (in theory) go have a beach picnic at Branson's private island if you wanted without having to pay him anything as part of the beaches are crown territory but in reality his security team might try and get a bit funny with you.

*except for Orkney and Shetland where some old school Norwegian system of law is still relevant.
Very interesting!

RxR

RxR

Soldato
About 10 years ago a technical relative of mine bought into a new handheld prospecting detector (venture) that seemingly was programmable - ie. could be set to detect more than metals - developed by a firm set up by a local academic. The retail sale price point they were considering was about 10,000 aud.

I tried to convince the relative to have one sent to him so I could test it out, without luck.

e: The relative died some years ago and I've neither read nor heard anything about it since. It would have been interesting if it could have detected land mines (from old conflicts), but that's probably a business for sensor-drones or similar these days. And he took the secret of exactly where in which north Queensland river he had found gold as an engineer 30 years earlier to the grave.

Last edited:
Soldato
About 10 years ago a technical relative of mine bought into a new handheld prospecting detector (venture) that seemingly was programmable - ie. could be set to detect more than metals - developed by a firm set up by a local academic. The retail sale price point they were considering was about 10,000 aud.

I tried to convince the relative to have one sent to him so I could test it out, without luck.

e: The relative died some years ago and I've neither read nor heard anything about it since. It would have been interesting if it could have detected land mines (from old conflicts), but that's probably a business for sensor-drones or similar these days. And he took the secret of exactly where in which north Queensland river he had found gold as an engineer 30 years earlier to the grave.

You can set most metal detectors to scan for certain metals, play around with the frequency setting.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
You can set most metal detectors to scan for certain metals, play around with the frequency setting.

The claim at the time was it could be programmed to detect diamonds, metals, most gemstones, etc. It wasn't just (apparently) a metal detector.

Soldato
Did a bit a few months back. First haul here, https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32872620.

I bought a pin pointer also which can be useful. You have to be an enthusiast i reckon which I just wasn't. Ended up finding it boring, you find 99% junk, bottle tops, tinfoil, nails, bolts, screws, other bits of rusty metal.

I may try again next summer in warmer weather but not in this freezing conditions.

Any questions just ask.

Worth looking at that thread just for this gem :D

Acme went metal detecting once, he had a hole dug 20 foot deep, before he remembered he had steel toe caps in his boots.

Soldato
If I had more time I would love to do it. I follow a few detectorists in Instagram and it's fascinating to see what they come up with.

Back
Top Bottom