Gaming pc build 2k

Associate
Hi, I’m wanting to build my own pc again and wondering if anybody could spec me up a good gaming computer for 2k please ? That’s without monitor can get that later.

thanks

Associate
OP
Which monitor will you be getting? The resolution and capabilities of the monitor are critical to speccing the GPU.

Thanks for replying,

haven’t really thought about it really ! Well if you could spec me a monitor on top that would be great ! Doesn’t have to be in the 2k budget.

thanks

Soldato
With £2K for the system unit alone the world is your oyster. You can afford a RTX 2080 Ti - great for 3440x1440 and 4k gaming - and generally high-end components. The case is a placeholder really as they're very much a matter of personal taste.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,711.03 (includes shipping: £14.70)

You'll need to add a cheap Windows license and a Sabrent Rocket SSD, both available elsewhere. You could easily upgrade to the 12 core Ryzen or treat yourself to a Ducky Shine mechanical keyboard.

The monitor to go with that should be one of these two:

Total: £1,903.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Associate
OP
With £2K for the system unit alone the world is your oyster. You can afford a RTX 2080 Ti - great for 3440x1440 and 4k gaming - and generally high-end components. The case is a placeholder really as they're very much a matter of personal taste.

Total: £1,711.03 (includes shipping: £14.70)

You'll need to add a cheap Windows license and a Sabrent Rocket SSD, both available elsewhere. You could easily upgrade to the 12 core Ryzen or treat yourself to a Ducky Shine mechanical keyboard.

The monitor to go with that should be one of these two:

Total: £1,903.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Thanks for that very much appreciated looks a good quality build ! How many years would you get out of that ? In terms of graphics advancing !
Thanks again

Soldato
Thanks for that very much appreciated looks a good quality build ! How many years would you get out of that ? In terms of graphics advancing !

About 2 nanoseconds. :)

Seriously, though, nobody knows what the future holds. CPU-wise you will be set for many years and you will be able to upgrade just by upgrading the CPU. GPU-wise, you should be able to skip the next generation of GPUs. Note that if you get the 4k monitor you will be able to play RTX games at 1080p just fine, thanks to the perfect scaling. The next generation of Nvidia's GPUs, Ampere, are expected in 6-9 months (perhaps longer for the top-end cards). There are rumours of AMD having a 'big Navi' chip. You can wait or you can spend your money and start having fun now.

Associate
Problem is, when you buy something, it's already out of date, if you wait for the next big release, it's then out of date, as the manufacturers are already working on the next gen.

Buy the best you can to fit your budget now and it will last you.

Caporegime
Problem is, when you buy something, it's already out of date, if you wait for the next big release, it's then out of date, as the manufacturers are already working on the next gen.

Buy the best you can to fit your budget now and it will last you.
Buy, then never look at prices again until you’re shopping for a replacement or upgrade.

Soldato
Alternative build:

Total: £1,920.88 (includes shipping: £0.00)

SSD is a placeholder, get a 1tb Sabrent Rocket NvME from the rainforest website.

The 2080TI I've listed is more expensive, but it's a triple fan design while still coming with the fantastic five year warranty of the card recommended by @Quartz.

I prefer the Aorus Elite for £30 over the above Asrock, but I'd recommend looking up reviews for both as the Asrock might be fine for you.

Corsair RM PSU costs more but is fully modular and comes with a 10 year warranty. The Formula Gold listed above is a great PSU (I own one myself), but it isn't modular and the cables are quite long and can be unwieldy for a windowed build.

Case comes largely down to preference, the Meshify cases have excellent airflow and I personally love the way they look.

Cheaper but still excellent HSF, the 3700X isn't a heat monster, the Dark Rock Pro 4 is a stellar bit of kit if you're happy to pay the extra though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheaper but still excellent HSF, the 3700X isn't a heat monster, the Dark Rock Pro 4 is a stellar bit of kit if you're happy to pay the extra though.

As I said in my earlier reply, the OP can afford high-end kit and this is one area where overkill benefits.

Good call on the PSU - I'd missed that the one I quoted wasn't modular. And I'm not so sure about the triple-fan GPU. My own experience with a triple-fan 2080 Ti hasn't been that good. I went for Zotac because of their warranty and UK RMA.

Soldato
As I said in my earlier reply, the OP can afford high-end kit and this is one area where overkill benefits.

Good call on the PSU - I'd missed that the one I quoted wasn't modular. And I'm not so sure about the triple-fan GPU. My own experience with a triple-fan 2080 Ti hasn't been that good. I went for Zotac because of their warranty and UK RMA.

Yeah, the Dark Rock Pro 4 is a lovely bit of kit tbh.

Same brand I listed in my spec list, just with non-blower cooler. Might make no odds to the OP, either is a great option at the budget he has.

Soldato
How many years would you get out of that ? In terms of graphics advancing !
2080 Ti is pretty much no bang-per-buck, just gangbanged-to-butt-by-Nvidia product.
You can get 75% of performance for almost just third of the price.
With that starting position it certainly won't be keeping high end position in performance and value long.
As for its hyped raytracing would expect it get trashed in it fast by coming GPU generations.

That’s without monitor can get that later.
Except for lack luster amount of IPS choises 2560x1440 selection is good.
But for 3840x2160 next half years likely brings notable additions to choise with above 60Hz monitors.
Asus has already announced one very high end monitor:
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/a...vrr-1152-zone-miniled-backlight-and-hdr-1400/
I think also Philips has announced one VA monitor.
Would expect CES to bring bunch of announcements/releases.

Anyway forget G-Sync only monitors, unless you want to chain yourself as Nvidia's slave.
Intel is joining discrete GPU game in next year and they've got bank account size to use if they genuinely push.
Also AMD is bringing big high end chip during winter and in next year fully raytracing capable GPU architecture which is also going to be found from next-gen consoles.
So in couple years GPU market could look entirely different.

Soldato
AI prefer the Aorus Elite for £30 over the above Asrock, but I'd recommend looking up reviews for both as the Asrock might be fine for you.

Corsair RM PSU costs more but is fully modular and comes with a 10 year warranty. The Formula Gold listed above is a great PSU (I own one myself), but it isn't modular and the cables are quite long and can be unwieldy for a windowed build.
Low end Asrocks have super inefficient wimpy trash VRMs for X570:
https://youtu.be/POwr-o4HBHU?t=10m20s
DrMOS powerstages in Aorus Elite's put out that 24W of heat at 200A.
Ryzen 3700X isn't going to push those limits.
But that doesn't change the fact of those being miserable and might as well get MSI B450 Gaming Plus/Tomahawk instead of those A(s)srocks.
Heck, those would likely have lower losses with MSI using quite good MOSFETs instead of the cheapest trash bag parts.

Corsair RM uses second/third tier capacitors, making it inbalanced for this price level PC.
RMxes are cheapest Corsairs with first tier capacitors.
Which gets beaten in price by Seasonic Focus.

And while enough for 3700X at stock, don't see sense in Mugen 5 PCGH edition with slow speed of the fans limiting max cooling capacity compared to cheaper single fan model.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html

Soldato
Are you sure about the Corsair RM? I know that's true of the earlier models (pre 2019 I believe), but the newer ones (such as what I linked) are apparently much improved.

This is partly going off the tier list compiled on LTT:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-20/

I read a couple of discussions specifically pertaining to the newer RM on there, but it's a lot to sift through to find the exact threads.

Edit:

Actually, here's a review:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm650-power-supply,6187.html

We should note here that Elite caps, which are widely used in the RM650, might be manufactured in China, but Elite is a brand of Chinsan. The latter is a Taiwanese company, with factories in China, and provides products to several high-end brands including two well-known ones. This means that Elite caps are of good quality and you shouldn't be afraid, in any case, of their Chinese origin. Sure there are enough Chinese factories with low production standards, and when it comes to capacitors, this can lead to terrible results. Nevertheless, Elite products have been proven reliable so far, and this is why most brands prefer them when it is too expensive to use Japanese caps.

So yeah, they're not the best caps available but they're more than adequate. The unit is still a very good option with a 10 year warranty and generally cheaper than competitors of the same wattage. I wouldn't have any concerns whatsoever running a 2019 RM. Granted, if you can get a higher quality unit for the same cost do so.

As for the X570, from what I've looked at the Elite is pretty much the bare minimum I'd get if I was buying into the X570 platform. I think there's some similarly performing Asus boards for the same sort of price, but most of the Asrock boards I've looked at under the £250 range have been pretty poor, and going above the £250 range I'd still opt for one of the Gigabyte offerings.

I do agree on the 2080ti being crap value mind you, but it is by far the most powerful GPU out and will be until mid next year at the least I imagine. The OP has a very healthy budget so I see no harm in going all out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom