What have you done to your car today?

Man of Honour
SORN'd the MX5 and put in the garage until next year (used some fuel stabiliser to stop it going off but will give it a run now and again).

Soldato
LED'd up my Clio. Just because it was a cheap mod really. What a chav.

48996079053_e6decb5ec6_b.jpg

48996079153_8185fe5ca8_b.jpg

48996079263_8c205a820d_b.jpg

Soldato
I much prefer warm yellow tungsten bulbs in cars and as numberplate lights. Maybe I'm weird. :p

Nope. Not weird. I also prefer them. But have gotten used to LED lights in my cars for a while now, and they were only £6 or something for 10, so thought I might as well.

Soldato
I did all my Saab ones. It's nice to actually feel like daylight when you open your doors and not some 1980's brothel.

Sorry for potato pic but you get the idea.

Perhaps the 1980’s brothel used soft lighting to detract from stains/wear & tear on the... fixtures and fittings? The same logic could be applied to certain older cars, in fact some of them probably shouldn’t have interior lights from the factory.

I swapped the front and centre domes to LED, a filament bulb just doesn’t seem to put out enough lumens to be useful if it’s actually needed.

Caporegime
Well I'm ****** now, the replacement alternator I bought doesn't fit because the idiots that refurbished it hacked up an 89 - 92 alternator casting and backplate and stuck the 93 - 00 internals into it, and as a result the power connector pole fouls on the bottom of the power steering pump, leaving me without a car for a few more days until they sort it out...

Saga in pictures... Don't use eBay for alternators kids!

syqulcy.png
kJfRPxU.png
RwKxIXN.jpg
cGjwIC9.jpg
QuSiTOr.jpg
UFBZlhu.jpg
HGpd9rL.jpg
6ZognxI.jpg
XgDZBYE.jpg

Caporegime
Alternators are super easy to rebuild and the parts for the various models are easily available. I rebuilt my Denso Toyota one when it went for around £50 in parts. It's normally the diodes in the rectifier that blow but the other parts are so cheap might as well do a full rebuild. Mine is still working fine 3 years later even after several track days.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Alternators are super easy to rebuild and the parts for the various models are easily available. I rebuilt my Denso Toyota one when it went for around £50 in parts. It's normally the diodes in the rectifier that blow but the other parts are so cheap might as well do a full rebuild. Mine is still working fine 3 years later even after several track days.

I could take the guts of the new one out and put it in the casing of my old one, but then I'd have no warranty on the alternator. Mine died cos it got filled with oil. :p

Caporegime
You had a bad experience ≠ Don't use eBay for alternators
Its not the first time I've had an issue with eBay alternator sellers. When I had my first MX5 I bought a new alternator and the shaft was bent so I sent it back, then they sent me another one which was DOA so I sent it back again, then they sent me yet another one which had a bent shaft... At that point I was fed up so I stripped my old alternator down and swapped some parts around to make one good one.

This is the second time I've bought an alternator from eBay (different seller) and this happened.

Next time I want one I think I'll just re-build the old one myself.

Soldato
Springs, shocks and top mounts ordered for the fiesta plus it needed a new battery yesterday. Along with new (used) wheels recently it's the first real cash that has been spent on it outside of servicing/brakes/ tyres in the c4.5 years we have had it.

Soldato
I really don't understand the chavvy trend of putting sun-strength LEDs as number plate lights. They look ridiculous from miles away :confused:

Cool story. They aint exactly "sun strength". What about pretty much every relatively modern car that also has LED number plate lights?

Caporegime
Took the left valve cover off intending to use some sealant on the gasket to stop an oil leak, but the gasket was too old and shrunken so I'm picking up a new one instead.

EaJQCZr.jpg

Snapped off one of the bolts... Tiny ratchet, didn't force it, just half a turn and it sheared off. Great!

xJpFkqY.jpg

Drilled out...

ZS3SVXA.jpg

Helicoiled...

KVGet2N.jpg

Back
Top Bottom