which camera to buy under £700

Associate
I’m looking st picking up a camera to get into photography

Is there anything better than the Fuji xt2 +18-55mm used for the price now? They seem to be going for £600-£700 now with that lens

Associate
I am in similar situation with photography growing on me.

I went with a Nikon D5600 + AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR, picked it up new for £349 all in with delivery, this was coming from a old Fuji S9500 bridge camera.

What was your reason for going with a mirroless camera ?

Associate
OP
No specific reason I just liked how the xt2 looks and the feel in hand. Plus reviews are all good for them. I just want to get the best my budget allows really and they have dropped on the used market now to around £650 with the 18-55 lens

Soldato
Personally I think mirrorless is the way to go, especially if you're starting out. You're more likely to take it with you being smaller and lighter than a DSLR. Plus the quality in mirrorless cameras nowadays means that you're unlikely to reach the limits of the camera before you want to upgrade, rather than need to upgrade.

Associate
I own a xt1 and previously owned the 18-55 "kit lens". I really regret selling the lens when I sold my previous xe1.

I'm not sure on the pricing but I think if you're happy with the price then you'll be happy with both the xt2 and 18-55.

Soldato
The only slight negative is the price of the lenses compared to dlsr, in particular sigma and tamron. It's otherwise a solid camera and now thanks to firmware updates, better than it was at launch, noticeably so with subject tracking.

Associate
OP
What would be the best lens for car photography to have first? This would be for the Fuji xt2

This is static shoots moody lighting car parks grimey street style photos.

Associate
What would be the best lens for car photography to have first? This would be for the Fuji xt2

This is static shoots moody lighting car parks grimey street style photos.

Fuji have some excellent prime lenses, if you know what focal length you prefer it might be best to choose based on that preference but I'm guessing you're not sure do the 18-55 would be a good choice. If you find using the 18-55 you tend to shoot at a particular focal length you can move on to a prime later.

As I mentioned earlier in a post I regret selling mine as it's a good lens with a handy focal range.

Associate
Pick up an X-E3 with the 23mm f2 prime from the Fuji UK refurb site. Bit cheaper and should give you scope for your street stuff.

Edit: I’ve got a 5% off voucher for the Fuji refurb store if you need it. Works even with the current discounts.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Xe-3 vs xt20 or xt30 has anyone tried the xe3? No where near me has one to try.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to these now as as much as I like the xt2 in the hand I want a camera I can take out with me 80% of the time so need something lighter, as my back suffers as it is.

Soldato
I’ve got an X-T20 with the XF 18-55mm.

Stunning lens with excellent detail and awesome bokeh at 55mm @ F4

But I wouldn’t recommend to a newbie - I have no idea how to get the most out of it, and wished I’d spent less on the body and more on lenses. Best to be able to take a photo in more opportunities when learning vs a good photo in few situations.

Associate
OP
That’s at
I’ve got an X-T20 with the XF 18-55mm.

Stunning lens with excellent detail and awesome bokeh at 55mm @ F4

But I wouldn’t recommend to a newbie - I have no idea how to get the most out of it, and wished I’d spent less on the body and more on lenses. Best to be able to take a photo in more opportunities when learning vs a good photo in few situations.

I decided to skip on the kit lens and just go for a prime instead either the 22mm f2 or 35mm f2

as I rather just go out and shoot and enjoy than fiddle about all the time.

Back
Top Bottom