What cooler shall I use for i9 9900k with rtx 2080 ti

Associate
I use the H115l Platinum RBG and it is just superb Swiifter. If you want to use the same fans over the case though (ML140's), you would need to get the Corsair Commander Pro to run them all with the CUE software properly. I have had loads of different AIO and Aircoolers, Noctuas are always very good, the ML140 fans however are the best I have used in 25 years gaming on PC and building computers which I do weekly.

Cooler I use https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...uid-cooler-280mm-cw-9060038-ww-hs-03s-cs.html
Twin pack of fans which comes with the RGB box https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...th-lighting-node-twin-fan-pack-fg-06h-cs.html
Commander Pro https://www.overclockers.co.uk/corsair-commander-pro-rgb-led-controller-fan-hub-black-fg-06q-cs.html
Then if you wanted to add more fans obviously you can pick them up on there too. The outlay is expensive but the cooling and performance of this kit is quite amazing. The RGB on the fans are block is great as well.

Soldato
Use the KISS principle, Air cooling is less expensive, more dependable, cools as well and easier to fix if something goes bad .. keep it simple.
NH-D15S is good. I would not get D15 because of width overhang of PCIe sockets, D15s has finpack offset for better PCIe clearance. If you can find Thermalright alternate dealer in UK the TRUE Spirit 140 Power is 2/3rds or less a as expensive and cools as well if not slightly better, but it is also quite wide (155mm) and tall (171mm).

Soldato
Use the KISS principle, Air cooling is less expensive, more dependable, cools as well and easier to fix if something goes bad .. keep it simple.
NH-D15S is good. I would not get D15 because of width overhang of PCIe sockets, D15s has finpack offset for better PCIe clearance. If you can find Thermalright alternate dealer in UK the TRUE Spirit 140 Power is 2/3rds or less a as expensive and cools as well if not slightly better, but it is also quite wide (155mm) and tall (171mm).

Yup, I'd echo this and also advise the following cooler is spot on:

TRUE Spirit 140 Power

Soldato
Yeah it’s fine and the only problem is my ram is about 45mm and their clearance is 32mm I’m wondering if I should just raise the fan higher or buy a smaller fan for the heat sink ?

Are you going to be overclocking the ram? If not, just remove the heatsinks from the ram and it will fit under the cooler. You won't see the plain green ram PCBs as they're hidden under the cooler. So you can use pretty much any cooler you want. Check out the link at the bottom and look at the last paragraph, on how modern ram has cooler temps.

https://ballistixgaming.com/articles/three-benefits-of-ballistix-heat-spreaders.html

Last edited:
Associate
Really? You are suggesting he buy different RAM or remove the heatsinks just so some air cooler will fit? Just buy a cooler that fits in the first place ..

Associate
Are you going to be overclocking the ram? If not, just remove the heatsinks from the ram and it will fit under the cooler. You won't see the plain green ram PCBs as they're hidden under the cooler. So you can use pretty much any cooler you want. Check out the link at the bottom and look at the last paragraph, on how modern ram has cooler temps.

https://ballistixgaming.com/articles/three-benefits-of-ballistix-heat-spreaders.html
I would be very wary of removing the heatsinks from the ram as I have killed a stick doing the very same, pulled a chip off the pcb.

Soldato
I agree, don't try removing RAM heatshinks unless you know what you are doing. If you are removing them use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat them up. The material used to mount them loosens with heat making it easier to get them off. but again, don't do it unless you know what you are doing and are ready to possible damage and need to replace RAM.

Soldato
I agree, don't try removing RAM heatshinks unless you know what you are doing. If you are removing them use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat them up. The material used to mount them loosens with heat making it easier to get them off. but again, don't do it unless you know what you are doing and are ready to possible damage and need to replace RAM.

I would be very wary of removing the heatsinks from the ram as I have killed a stick doing the very same, pulled a chip off the pcb.

Most of the online tutorials show a heatgun or hairdryer to soften the adhesive/thermal tape, and apply no more than gentle pressure to pull the heasink away from the memory.

Soldato
Wouldn't it be simpler (and safer) to use an AIO instead? You'll have no issues with RAM clearance, you'll need fewer fans (if you set up the AIO fans to exhaust) and it'll look tidier too.

Back
Top Bottom