BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Presumably its because the colour of the car adds nothing to its performance or residual value so many people baulk at dropping 4 figures on it. Even worse if you are buying on finance I imagine since you are also paying interest on it.

Having said that, I do like some of the non-standard colours available I just couldn't bring myself to spend my own money on them!

Associate
Bespoke colours really are a money-no-object option. When there are lots of 'nearly new' in the AUC network you can sometimes get lucky, but it's no surprise that an AUC in a colour from the Individual range or bespoke colour will be priced higher than one in a standard metallic colour. Long Beach Blue is probably the colour I would choose on an M2 anyway.

Just after I bought my M5 CP, a slightly older M5 came up on AUC, in Ruby Red II (link to pics below). There are two Ruby Red II in the UK, and metallic wine red is my favourite colour on a car. It was priced a little higher than my car and I am glad I was saved from paying over the odds!

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1367503

Last edited:
Caporegime
I always found bmws colour range to be fairly poor. 47 shades of grey or silver but not much else as standard colours. Jag, Porsche and Mercedes always seemed to have much better offerings.

Soldato
I always found bmws colour range to be fairly poor. 47 shades of grey or silver but not much else as standard colours. Jag, Porsche and Mercedes always seemed to have much better offerings.
I don't know, when I got my 911 (albeit a 996, and not new) there were something ridiculous like 10 colours or less to choose from. That's a 20 year old car though,y before they started doing things like colour matched stitching.

Associate
Just did about 1200 miles in my nearly 2 months old G05 30d, last week trip to south of france and back using the tunnel. What a fantastic car! I'm glad I packed up on pretty much all the tech (apart from the massaging seats :))

Basically on motorway the car drives itself. just tucked my knee against the wheel, barely touching, and you can just let it do it's thing. Apart from changing lane now and then to pass a lorry, that's about it really. Very relaxing. Car is super quiet, super comfy. Tech works very well (a few little bugs here and there...). One thing of note is the satnav is pretty much useless in france; it keeps trying to use "D" roads, single tracks etc etc instead of bigger ones. Wasted a couple of hours on part of the trip before I figured it out.

Also did a bit of rallye stage driving in the small roads around Cahors. This is such a monster to be able to move like that with such weight. My friend calls it the "Sherman tank BMW"...

Overall on the trip, mostly in "Adaptive" but with a bit of "Sport" and mostly doing 133km/h on motorways, I did 40mpg with a loaded car. In fact, a packed full car especially on the way back ;)
JpPJ07h.jpg

Soldato
I do like the colour, but on first glance in the first pic I thought you had a massive dent in it:eek:. I don't understand why, when colour is quite a large part of a new car, so many people go for boring black or white, especially on m cars. There hardly seems to be any in nice colours (unless of course they just aren't far sale). I quite like the Phoenix yellow, but I know it's a bit marmite for some people.

The M2 has a very short list of colours available and no individual option either. Which is a shame.

Associate
Same when I went to buy that X5. JUST boring colours, I don't understand it really. The seller kept telling me about the nice Artic Grey, and I kept telling him it was just the same boring gray as the next car. I pointed to their parking to show how really/ boring/ it all is. The only notch of colour is that "asbo blue" every kid in the council estates dream of having.

Colours were quite limited 7 years ago, but my X3 felt a bit 'special' and super warm in sparkling bronze + red leather.

m3mPHIa.jpg

Soldato
M cars in black, my heart bleeds when I see it.

170k?? Overpriced is an understatement

That seller is often a little more expensive but everything always appears to be top grade. If I could have, I would have bought their R34 Z-Tune in an instant, even if it was approaching half a mill. The M3 GTS is pretty special in its own right though. Proper driver's car.

Associate
Looks amazing, notice you have the upgraded adaptive led headlights. :)

Yes indeed. I bought the car used and the previous owner had ticket every box, apart from, strangely, the HK stereo, instead opting for the mid range one. I like the lights though, the hexagons look cool and the split beam thing is mad to watch at first. I drive mostly in London so it's rare I use high beam but when I do it's brilliant to see it in action.

Soldato
My mates looking at getting a used M140i and was just wondering if there are any must have/avoid options on them?

Must haves (IMHO):
  • Media Package - BMW Professional (the updated widescreen nav)
  • Driver Comfort Package - rear parking sensors and basic cruise control with braking function
Nice to have:
  • Adaptive LED Headlights
  • Harman Kardon loudspeaker system
  • Reversing Assist Camera
  • Front seats with electric adjustment and memory funciton
  • Electric folding mirrors
  • Lumbar support
  • Front seats heating
  • Sun protection glass
  • Glass sunroof
  • Steering wheel heating
At this point the options just keep adding up to the retail price, but it may be worth looking for the ones you really want if buying used, as they rarely add much to the cost of the used car.

Base model 1 series, regardless of the engine chosen, are poor man's spec.

Soldato
Yes indeed. I bought the car used and the previous owner had ticket every box, apart from, strangely, the HK stereo, instead opting for the mid range one. I like the lights though, the hexagons look cool and the split beam thing is mad to watch at first. I drive mostly in London so it's rare I use high beam but when I do it's brilliant to see it in action.

The HK stereo in BMW’s isn’t really worth upgrading too from every one I’ve tried out, better to go mid range for the speaker figments and then go aftermarket.

Soldato
You won't get that full list of options as it would have taken it above the £40k tax threshold.

The extra £310 x 5 years tax makes the options that take it over expensive.

Some decent paint option and the media package, add £1300 straight off the bat. If you see adaptive suspension as a must then that's an additional £550.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
The HK stereo in BMW’s isn’t really worth upgrading too from every one I’ve tried out, better to go mid range for the speaker figments and then go aftermarket.

I've now had four BMWs with HK audio and I couldn't disagree more. The base levels below HK are dire whereas the HK is actually quite good once you've tuned the settings a little bit. If you leave the EQ in the out-the-box settings it isn't great though, granted.

Also, if you stream music via BT, the SQ is *vastly* improved by plugging in via USB instead.

Soldato
I've now had four BMWs with HK audio and I couldn't disagree more. The base levels below HK are dire whereas the HK is actually quite good once you've tuned the settings a little bit. If you leave the EQ in the out-the-box settings it isn't great though, granted.

Also, if you stream music via BT, the SQ is *vastly* improved by plugging in via USB instead.

The BMW advanced system is almost as good for a lot less. The markup for the HK name isn't worth it. Very few cars have this option though, so HK is still the best bet when looking at used cars.

Back
Top Bottom