Road Cycling

Soldato
@Berger - I found the Aksium Disc Elite UST in Centrelock for a better price - £206

https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/2...elite-ust-disc-centre-lock-2019-wheelset.aspx

They've also got the Ksyrium in 6 bolt for £379

https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/3...-disc-6-bolt-qr-wheelset-2019-black-700c.aspx

Mavic hubs are horrible. They have a delrin bush in the freehub body that doesnt last particularly well if wet and dirt get at it.

Never used to be a problem on the road because the rims wore out first, but with discs....

Soldato
centrelock is 6, bolted is half a dozen. There's no meaningful difference between them in use.

i'd put it to the bottom of the decisionmaking pile
Agreed, decide on wheels and see what fitting they are to determine which rotors to get with them. But if they come with a choice go for CL. Cheapest discs with lots of choices are 6bolt (as nearly every MTB wheel is 6bolt), but road is heading towards more CL. So going that route will ensure future compatibility with future 'road' wheelsets. You can also get CL->6bolt adaptors so you can run 6bolt rotors on CL wheels if you want rotor choice... But there's not a 'reverse' adaptor to run CL on 6bolt...

I'm 6bolt as my Zipp 30 course only come in that fitting, but using (boring) Shimano rotors. I do have some lightweight fancy aligators I've not yet fitted but probably saving them until I change bike/new summer wheelset/etc.

Good price, even cheap delivery! Wiggle generally seem to have the best price for campag wheels, so that's a nice little saving. Although I'd go the wiggle route myself knowing the warranty and hassle free returns generally from them.

Mavic hubs are horrible. They have a delrin bush in the freehub body that doesnt last particularly well if wet and dirt get at it.

Never used to be a problem on the road because the rims wore out first, but with discs....
I'd always heard Mavic hubs where bad in wet weather, something to do with the design and sealing of the bearings, but I thought that was quite an 'old' problem as they'd moved away from it. Not so sure now...!

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I’m getting a Kinesis T3. Won the 60cm frame on eBay. £112 inc postage, so half the price of a new frame.

I’ll have to buy the fork still, Winstanleys stock them so if I buy the fork, and headset maybe they will seat the crown race for me if it needs one & if I ask nicely....

Hopefully it turns up in good time so I can check it and then crack on next weekend as I can just buy most/all the parts from Merlin & Winstanleys locally, then obviously I’ll be using my current wheels as it’s a rim brake frame.

Soldato
Well I’m getting a Kinesis T3. Won the 60cm frame on eBay. £112 inc postage, so half the price of a new frame.

I’ll have to buy the fork still, Winstanleys stock them so if I buy the fork, and headset maybe they will seat the crown race for me if it needs one & if I ask nicely....

Hopefully it turns up in good time so I can check it and then crack on next weekend as I can just buy most/all the parts from Merlin & Winstanleys locally, then obviously I’ll be using my current wheels as it’s a rim brake frame.

Dolan offer tonight is a RDX frame + Ultegra R8020 for £799

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/di...nium-frameset-ultegra-r8020-hdr-groupset.html

Flog the frame for around £200 and get a full Ultegra disc groupset (including CL disc rotors) for ~£599?

Soldato
What's the deepest section fork people have fitted raceblades to? I have a very chunky giant aerofork I might want to fit some to (it's an early 2000s burrows giant TCR like ONCE used to ride)

Soldato
Is there any reason to choose a GXP crank over a BB30?

I guess GXP will have slightly larger bearings so potentially more durable. Apart from that I am drawing a blank.

Soldato
Just realised today I can see the front brake caliper in front of the bars... Vertical line down from my sternum intersects the head tube... Think the bike might be too small?! (I do BTW:D)

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought BB30 was press fit?

My GXP has been faultless. And the replacements are cheap.

I managed to find my own answer!

On my P3 I use a Rotor BB1 which allows a 30mm spindle, however the crank spindle length has to be long enough as the bearings are a little wider.

I have Rotor cranks on my P3 so it’s not an issue, but it could be with other cranks.

So it would work but could be a minefield.

Soldato
Yeah Rotor and BBright are a pain in the arse.

You can't just buy a "BB30" crank for it even though it has that sticker on the bike. You need a BB386 crank so that the spindle is long enough and then you mess about with spacers to take up the gaps.

Soldato
hambini (youtuber) recently did a video on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkAxXNYzBGg
but be advised his language is abit rough/extreme.

I've watched quite a few of his videos and whilst he has a point in quite a few of his rants (poorly manufactured frames for bottom bracket fittment being one), the way he goes about it is pathetic and comes across as very arrogant. I think he has a far too high opinion of his own knowledge and his conclusions are somewhat dubious at times.

Soldato
I've just bought my first GXP crankset. Force 22 53/39 170mm and bought a Wheels Mfg threaded BB to do the job. £35 more than the press fit SRAM one and I look forward to no creaks for the next billion years of life :p
BB86 on me Cube's.

Soldato
I quite like Hambini to be honest.

He backs up critisicsm with factual measurements.

Reading around he appears to be pretty **** hot at his job so I can forgive his arrogance and some of it may well be playing to the camera for views.

Wheelsmfg stuff is decent even with their enduro bearings ;). Fitted a BB30 variant and ultrgea crank to a supersix and the chap was mighty impressed by it over hollowgram/PF30 setup.

Back
Top Bottom