• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Update for the kids PC from GTX780... 1650 super??

Associate
As per the title, I’m looking to get a power efficient GPU for the kids PC which currently has a gtx 780. It is an itx build and between the confined space, the slim psu and the 780, things get noisy! I’m thinking if I get a less power hungry GPU that would be a good start but at the same time would like a performance increase for the efforts. Now I know the 1650 has no benchmarks etc but are there any people here who might like to take a guess on whether it would be an upgrade at all to the 780? Would I be better getting the 1660 super? I really don’t want to spend over £150 if I can help it which does make the 1660 super a stretch (they only play mine craft , Fortnite and roblox etc)

cheers!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I’m looking to get a power efficient GPU for the kids PC which currently has a gtx 780. It is an itx build and between the confined space, the slim psu and the 780, things get noisy! I’m thinking if I get a less power hungry GPU that would be a good start but at the same time would like a performance increase for the efforts. Now I know the 1650 has no benchmarks etc but are there any people here who might like to take a guess on whether it would be an upgrade at all to the 780? Would I be better getting the 1660 super? I really don’t want to spend over £150 if I can help it which does make the 1660 super a stretch (they only play mine craft , Fortnite and roblox etc)

A 570 while good value, wouldn't be much faster, maybe 15/20%

He wants better power efficiency, an increase of 20% is an increase possibly more.. but the last two points bolded really only is one option to be fair. If you can find a slim design I cant see why it would be a bad purchase, arent they like 5-6 years old now? Especially if you offload the 780 would reimburse probably half the outlay.

Associate
OP
I think primarily I would like to reduce power use, hopefully that will reduce heat and the load on the psu. The psu is a super slim piece that isn’t exactly made for heat dissipation I know, but I’d rather buy a GPU at this point in time than a case and power supply. Maybe it’s a silly way to look at it but I do kinda like the super small form factor they currently have.
I noticed a gtx 10603gb provides decent gains and huge power drops over what we have. Arrggh, so hard to decide!

Associate
The Nvidia GTX780 you currently have is a 250W TDP GPU. A Radeon 570, is less than half of that, at 120W. A similarly priced Nvidia solution will be more power-efficient than the Radeon 570. In any case, l would wait until the Radeon 5500 gets released if you aren't in a particular hurry.

bru

bru

Soldato
Yup the soon to be released AMD RX5500 series could shake things up in this price bracket, the only I'm a little worried about is if the performance is there the price might be a bit high for this bracket.

Man of Honour
Is the 570 an upgrade from a 780? I always imagined the performance would be similar.

This actually depends on quite a few factors:

-Some newer games the Kepler architecture isn't very efficient at compared to the newer variants of the GCN architecture on AMD. But that isn't the broad strokes.
-Kepler, partly due to the driver "hacks" nVidia use for DX11, can be more demanding on CPU and RAM performance to get the best results from it.
-There are 2 revisions of the 780 - the early A1 cards might be only boosting to around 900MHz, while the later ones can be around 1200 and then you have to factor in whether it is a stock card or factory overclocked as that can easily put the difference of around 15-20% on the performance figures.
-3GB v 4GB VRAM amount - the reason I upgraded from my 780 was quite a bit because I was starting to hit the VRAM limits with some newer games at 1440p or higher resolution.

Overall I would not change from a 780 to a 570 unless it was very low cost to do so or power/thermals/noise was a really big issue.

Associate
Is the 570 an upgrade from a 780? I always imagined the performance would be similar.

I am your benchmarking friend

First RX 570 vs 1650 - the latter is a bad buy

Now 780 versus modern GPUs - compare the 480 with the 780 as the 480 pretty much matches a 570 give or take

Lastly a few points:

1060 3gb - it's fine today - but those 3gbs of VRAM kills the cards longevity and the new consoles coming out means more VRAM will be standard requirement for games, 8gb is kind of where you want to be ideally but definitely 4gb over 3gb

5500 - these will be very good but probably £200+

From my understanding (and you could start a thread about it to get advice from people more) Undervolting RX 570 or RX 580 can substanically reduce power noise without much performance hit. But both should be less than a 780 anyway

Man of Honour
Now 780 versus modern GPUs - compare the 480 with the 780 as the 480 pretty much matches a 570 give or take

I rarely see reviewers with 780 results that match my realworld experience from having one coupled with my 4820K I don't know why but they are always down between 20 and 50% compared to what I guarantee people will be seeing in the realworld with a B stepping 780 - with more recent AMD drivers the lead will have increased by about 6% but with overclocking I was averaging less than 2% behind a RX480 shortly after the 480 was released with my 780GHz - if you take reviewers numbers it wouldn't be possible to make up the difference.

Not to say I would recommend a Kepler card these days over the alternatives as it does take a hit in some newer games that other architectures don't see.

EDIT: There are some 780ti v 570 videos out there which are more accurate - the 570 generally comes out tops but gives a better comparison than the numbers more commonly seen on mainstream tech channels/sites.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
the reason I upgraded from my 780 was quite a bit because I was starting to hit the VRAM limits with some newer games at 1440p or higher resolution.

Overall I would not change from a 780 to a 570 unless it was very low cost to do so or power/thermals/noise was a really big issue.

You can get the 570 with 8Gb of VRAM. In this price bracket you wouldnt go nvidia.

Associate
I rarely see reviewers with 780 results that match my realworld experience from having one coupled with my 4820K I don't know why but they are always down between 20 and 50% compared to what I guarantee people will be seeing in the realworld with a B stepping 780 - with more recent AMD drivers the lead will have increased by about 6% but with overclocking I was averaging less than 2% behind a RX480 shortly after the 480 was released with my 780GHz - if you take reviewers numbers it wouldn't be possible to make up the difference.

Not to say I would recommend a Kepler card these days over the alternatives as it does take a hit in some newer games that other architectures don't see.

EDIT: There are some 780ti v 570 videos out there which are more accurate - the 570 generally comes out tops but gives a better comparison than the numbers more commonly seen on mainstream tech channels/sites.

I trust Hardware Unboxed to be merticulous. The difference isn't night and day and if you have an older CPU it probably becomes closer

I don't think it's a big upgrade but it would be cooler and quiter and if he doesnt want to spend £200 he'll struggle to get any decent upgrade

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies, it really is a tough price bracket (and time) to be a buyer within. The 570 actually performs better than I imagined looking at the videos. It’s not a card I had considered previously (although I once had an RX 480)
One thing worth mentioning here is the 1650 super is rumoured to be 100w and a 50% increase over the vanilla model. I imagine NVIDIA will bump the price slightly as they always do, which brings back into play the thought of a second hand rx570. Pretty sure I can grab one for under £100 if I’m a tough buyer! The 780 actually performs pretty well for its age, I know after all this I will end up replacing the case and PSU as well. (Already bought a PSU today just in case: £20 marketplace buy haha)

Back
Top Bottom