**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Associate
Been reading this thread with great interest - thanks to everyone contributing. I have a P30 Pro which I love but my wife needed another phone as hers was getting slow and the pictures are nowhere near as good as the p30 pro. Once you have experienced great battery life its impossible to go back to daily charging a phone.

My requirements were a good camera phone for pics of the kids and family but I also needed wide angled photos as we take a lot of them out and about. Wanted a Pixel so badly and did my research into it ( read and watched so many reviews )but the poor battery life and lack of wide angled lens killed it for me.

In the end I found a Iphone 11 Pro Max for £800 used ( acceptable with scratches on the back )direct from a rather large retailer which turned up and there was no scratches I could see - strange eh.

I had always been an android man ( even though I have 2 12.9 pro 3rd Gen ) and scoffed at the apple phones due to their inflated prices and subpar cameras.

However new iphone ticked my boxes. Admittedly I am still getting used to the Iphone but early results are very positive great strong camera performance with good battery life and feels quite snappy. To be honest I still prefer android though.

I even looked at the Mate 30 Pro which google play still works presently ( XDA forums ) but there is no guarantee that Google would stop it one day.

Soldato
The new iPhones look really good, especially the Pro now that they've improved the camera performance. I was looking at iPhones earlier this year as there's no question Apple have the better portfolio with class leading tablets and Apple Watch.

I didn't switch in the end because Assistant and Android Auto as a setup together absolutely trounce CarPlay & Siri. Plus I use Assistant on my Sonos speaker too.

Soldato
Soldato
Yeah solid camera if that is what you need as in a point and shoot. I am no expert so might wanna ask in the dedicated camera thread. I just use my pixel now.
I had one (MIII) and whilst it was really good if you wanted specific shots via the manual controls I found myself using my phone 90% of the time and ended up selling it.
Be sure you're going to be bothered taking it with you before committing!

Associate
I had one (MIII) and whilst it was really good if you wanted specific shots via the manual controls I found myself using my phone 90% of the time and ended up selling it.
Be sure you're going to be bothered taking it with you before committing!

had exactly the same situation bought an expensive camera and was too much of a hassle to always have with me.

Soldato
My battery seema to be improving. I'm also changing when I charge, not charging overnight and just charging 50 minutes or so, up into the 80% area, every now and then (so far just daily).
Andy, I've been following your Pixel 4 adventures with particular interest. You mention changing your charging habits as well as other tasks such as looking for a small portable battery pack, settling for a smaller display and lack of a wide angle camera.
I'm just curious as to how much of this is you compromising your lifestyle (for want of a better phrase) just to accommodate the Pixel or is this something you're on board with?
Surely in this day and age our tech should be working for us, not the other way around?
I'll admit that every phone has its compromises. For example I do miss the wireless charging on the 7t Pro however it's battery life is so good that I don't need a wireless charger in every room just to keep it topped up like with my S10e.

Soldato
I'm just curious as to how much of this is you compromising your lifestyle (for want of a better phrase) just to accommodate the Pixel or is this something you're on board with?

A lot of phones I hardly ever go below 60%, well, maybe 50%. I think I just need to be used to letting it down to 30 or 20%. I've no problem charging for an hour (not even that, it really is quite quick up to 80%) while I'm at my desk at work... if needed. Today, I've not charged at work, off charge around 9am and it's still above 60%. That's fine I think. I might make a battery update video during the week, giving my recent experience with it now things (the battery, the OS and my own routine) have settled into normality.

It's a little hard for me, as the last 'small phone' I had was a Nexus 5, which I think had similar battery to this (I should perhaps go back and watch my own review!)

Soldato
Andy - did you ever find a small charger (lipstick shape or thin rectangle) with USB-PD?

I have an Aukey beast that's 26800 mAh or something that I picked up for long camping weekends. I already have an Anker 5000mAh lipstick one but that's not USB-PD, by would like something small to carry around for emergencies.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I finally got to see these in the flesh today. I do like that screen. Here's hoping black Friday yeilds a decent deal.

Soldato
Andy - did you ever find a small charger (lipstick shape or thin rectangle) with USB-PD?

I have an Aukey beast that's 26800 mAh or something that I picked up for long camping weekends. I already have an Anker 5000mAh lipstick one but that's not USB-PD, by would like something small to carry around for emergencies.

No, I have a 20k from Ugreen which is PD and Choetech have a 10k PD charger, but asked me to wait a week, as they have a new one coming out. They told me this when I told them I was looking for something small that could PD.

Kind of odd, I went to the Pixel 4 accessories forum on XDA and there's only about 4 threads! I've ordered a TG screen protector though, just to take a look.

Associate
Anyone having bluetooth issues?

I have paired my sennheiser Momentum Wireless earphones & while they work fine when i come to use them again say the next day I have to re-pair them.

This has happen at 5 times over the last 2 weeks.

Associate
Anyone having bluetooth issues?

I have paired my sennheiser Momentum Wireless earphones & while they work fine when i come to use them again say the next day I have to re-pair them.

This has happen at 5 times over the last 2 weeks.

I can't help unfortunately, but I do wonder if Google will ever get bluetooth right on these phones. It was always fairly poor on my 2XL, certain devices it sort of put up with but clearly never liked working with them, and Google's own Pixelbooks and whatnot were always plagued with bluetooth issues too.

Oh well another reason not to get one, as if I needed any more....

Back
Top Bottom