oled versus plasma screenburn and ir

Associate
I notice image retention on my oled quite often dread to think how bad plasma would have beenb(never owned one). Although my oled seems to have become less prone to image retention the more I use it. I have had the Netflix pause bar visible in grey scenes before despite the fact It had only been on the screen for about 20 seconds, that was in first week of use though, does not seem to be issue any more.

Soldato
I have many a time fallen asleep in front of my plasma or forgotten to turn things off and it's been left displaying static images for hours on end... never seen signs of image retention or burn.

Soldato
It's a non-issue for OLED if you vary your content. I've had an OLED now for 2 + years and have had no burn in, playing heavy amounts of COD, watching letterbox movies and full screen.
If you're a sky sports news fanatic - maybe that could become an issue but other than that you'll be fine.

Soldato
I remember helping my then boss install a large ex-demo NEC plasma in his living room. It threw out so much IR that other IR remotes in the same room didn’t work.

There used to be a huge plasma behind the reception desk at NEC Europe (long gone - think it’s a fitness place now) that had a very high definition fish tank video playing on it during office hours and you could only tell it wasn’t a real fish tank when you stood close to it.

Soldato
I'm not sure if OLED is better, or that manufacturers better understand the causes, technology is better to help prevent it (pixel refreshing, static image brightness adjustment).

Either way, be cautious, but ultimately, enjoy the tech for what it offers, and make the most of it.

Back
Top Bottom