Small ITX PC suggestion, can i salvage the components i have?

Associate
Hi,

Looking to turn my desktop into a small form factor PC and salvaging as much as possible making it into a
Travel / TV / portable light gaming and work PC i can take home on the train for holidays and do some work.

im not looking to spend much at all as i am saving for a super expensive main rig.

just want to know what i can salvage from this list below? I would like to keep the Graphics card
, Ram, SSD etc but find a equivalent spec new process and ITX Mboard.

most components are 10 - 8 years old now (but were top of line when bought) so shouldn't be to much to get the same spec equivalent Mboard and processor today. need a fan cooler as well or could i go passive?

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 X58 Socket 1366 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366)

salvageable?
TP-Link 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (TL-WDN4800)
Corsair 12GB DDR3 10666C9 1333MHz XMS3 TwinX Tri Channel Kit
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 WindForce 3x OC Rev2.0 3072MB GDDR5
Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gb/s Basic - (MZ-7TE500BW)

ITX Case suggestions? one that will fit the graphics card
PSU suggestions?

not looking to pay much.

thanks for your suggestions :)

P

Last edited:
Man of Honour
TP-Link 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (TL-WDN4800)
all newer itx boards will have wireless inbuilt already...and as you're going itx...it has only one pcie slot. so either gpu or this wireless adapter. ie bin/sell

Corsair 12GB DDR3 10666C9 1333MHz XMS3 TwinX Tri Channel Kit
ddr3 is old tech unless you want to get a z77/z87/z97 intel build
but again mitx = 2 ram slots = 8gb
8gb is entry level gaming nowadays

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 WindForce 3x OC Rev2.0 3072MB GDDR5
equivalent to entry level 1080p gaming cards with the burden of high power consumption = high heat output/temps
roughly equal to a 1060 3gb/rx 570 in more modern terms

Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gb/s Basic - (MZ-7TE500BW)
probably the only thing i'd keep

ITX Case suggestions? one that will fit the graphics card
not looking to pay much.
if you're looking at super sff build, i suspect your #elcheapo build won't get much for the money except if you're going to go preowned

PSU suggestions?
most itx cases will fit standard sized psus (length dependent of course)

Caporegime
sounds like i'd be better buying a second hand one, sounds like its going to cost more than i expected if i would only be saving the SSD. OK thnaks
The DDR3 is holding you back. Ditch that, keep the 780 (it’s a decent, but not great 1080p card still but power hungry and hot compared to modern cards) and the SSD and then it’s board, CPU, RAM and a new PSU.

by all means make a small FF PC from it but it’ll mostly be second hand due to the age of the components.

Soldato
Personally I’d sell the lot other than the SSD as well. You’ll usually find you end up paying over the odds for an old ITX DDR3 based board, DDR4 is cheap now, memory density is higher, you will only get two slots, NVMe is comparable in price to SATA+AHCI and it takes up less space/cables. GPU wise what’s the anticipated usage? Something cooler/more suited to ITX would likely be better.

Associate
OP
well, i am not selling it as i need it for my work. i was just hoping to make it into a SFF PC that i could use to take home cheaply. but it doesn't seem like it will be that cheap.
getting simaler today's equivalent specs for the mobo and processor seems pricey.

i don't need top of the line just what i have now performance wise. For this top of the line will be my 2.5k rig in prepping for next year when the crazy supply and demand price hikes subsides for all Zen Builders

Soldato
Ditch the dinosaur, spend £40 on some cheap DDR4, £40-60 on a B450 ITX board, £80ish on a 1st gen Ryzen 1700 or a little more on a 2700, more cores, costs bugger all, throw in a modest GPU like a 570x or newer if you want to game and case wise you can spend anything from £50-500 and away you go. It doesn’t have to be expensive, you don’t have to spend .5k, let alone 2.5k - let’s be honest, all you’re going to do based on your current strategy is eat 2.5K of depreciation over the next 8-10 years, why not eat .3K and have something significantly better?

TBH carrying a PC backwards and forwards daily isn’t my idea of fun, same way I wouldn’t have let my staff waltz about with work stuff on unencrypted hardware, have you considered cloud based storage or any of the other ways of achieving being able to work from two locations seamlessly?

Soldato
Please show me a board in this price range?

I paid £59 delivered on a well known auction site for an ASRock B450 Gaming ITX/AC a few weeks back, someone I know from another forum got the same board £55+£5 P&P, I’ve seen items on my watch list go for less (then usually be re-listed :rolleyes:). We’re they relatively cheap? Yes, but op’s been waiting 10 years, he’s got patients - in CPU Mark terms he’s running the equivalent of a dual core pentium G4650.

Back
Top Bottom