Norwegian Airline

Soldato
Flew to Oslo a couple of times on Norwegian. Was fine, even got my son into the cockpit to chat with the pilots before takeoff when we flew on his 7th birthday (his very first flight, too)!

I did hear they were in financial straights, after over-extending themselves looking for growth. That was about 18 months ago, though, and haven't kept up with the story.

Soldato
I've used them a few times. The last two times I used them, the flights had been subcontracted to Wamos Air, which run a fleet of very old planes with no entertainment or food included. They're always very cheap though, usually take off and land on time and I've never had problems with legroom, which is all you can ask for from a budget airline tbh. It blows my mind how so many people will happily pay 1-2k extra for a better airline, still flying economy, which often simply amounts to better in flight entertainment and some free (bad) food. Fair enough if you're utterly loaded, but assuming you have a regular income, paying a huge amount extra to fly with a slightly more premium airline is madness, IMO. I'd rather save my money and spend it on the hotel or things to do at the destination.

Caporegime
Always fly with them in Europe, if they operate a route.
Never a problem, high end budget airline. No bag included for the cheaper prices.
Just about to book a pre Xmas flight to blighty, thx for the reminder :p

Associate
Wife had one of their flights to New York. A week or so out they sub contacted the flight to Wamos.

She'll never fly Wamos again, or Norwegian in case they sub contract it again. It was unbelievably bad. People were getting off the flight before it even took off due to the conditions of the plane. Never seen that before.

Caporegime
Looks like they are going to go bankrupt in the next few months.

Bloody hate stuff like this. I have 6 flights booked with them Inc Christmas in London and a week in Rome.

If they go splat, I've wasted an incredible amount on hotel bookings and other arrangements. Not to add Xmas is ruined too

Fun times.

Associate

Bloody hate stuff like this. I have 6 flights booked with them Inc Christmas in London and a week in Rome.

If they go splat, I've wasted an incredible amount on hotel bookings and other arrangements. Not to add Xmas is ruined too

Fun times.

I work for them. Financial trouble, yes, but highly unlikely to go under.

Associate
I work for them. Financial trouble, yes, but highly unlikely to go under.

They raised ~270M today from bond and share issues. According to them that's more than enough to see them through 2020. So I agree unlikely to go under in the next 12 months

Which is good as I love the nyc - London premium economy flights

Man of Honour

Fun times.

I'll let you know if my sister ever books a holiday with them!

She hasn't managed a holiday the last few years where the airline didn't go bust between flying out with them and coming back including Monarch and Thomas Cook it is almost like she is a curse on them.

Soldato
I'll let you know if my sister ever books a holiday with them!

She hasn't managed a holiday the last few years where the airline didn't go bust between flying out with them and coming back including Monarch and Thomas Cook it is almost like she is a curse on them.

That's the risk you take when booking with cheaper airlines. Wouldn't expect BA or Virgin to go burst. Then again Ryanair is still holding on somehow.

Caporegime
What are peoples experiences flying with Norwegian?

Because of the complication of needing a one way ticket for me and a return for my girlfriend they're the only airline that can get us on the same MCO->LGW flight a reasonable cost £200 for the one way vs £1400 or so for Virgin Atlantic

I'd choose Norwegian over BA, worst airline I've flown with to date. But realistically it comes down to what plane you are in.

Associate
I've just arrived back from the US yesterday. Flew Norwegian there and back on the 787 Dreamliner. Really comfortable even in economy. Decent, no frills airline. Good selection of TV and movies to keep me occupied on the flight.

Back
Top Bottom