Help me choose a new monitor please :)

Associate
Right , my last monitor , the Asus PG348Q whilst looking stunning on my desk for the last year hasn't been the gaming perfection i was looking for , firstly it's just far too wide for playing fps games and older games (which i play many of) hate the 21:9 aspect ratio and even when tweaked exhibit many issues such as FO4 to name just one.

So i'm going back to a 27" 1440p . Previously i had a Acer XB270HU, which was ok but i found the display quite grainy/dirty to look at and the build quality was quite poor.

What i want is :-

At least 27"
1440p Resolution
G-sync or compatable
144hz or above
Light Ag coating
Good response times (as good or better than the Acer)
Needs to have good image quality.
Will be used in a reasonably dark room
VA or ips , not interested in Tn.

I have looked at everything , and the more i look the more confused i get.

Soldato
Another alternative would be 32". (though IPSes are MIA in that size)
That would improve gaming immersion with bigger vertical image size while saving desk space.
http://www.displaywars.com/31,5-inch-16x9-vs-27-inch-16x9
http://www.displaywars.com/31,5-inch-16x9-vs-34-inch-21x9
27" is basically same height, so you can simulate its image size by covering 10cm from both sides of that 21:9.

For darker room VA would have advantage in contrast/black level.
Higher black level of IPS and "IPS glow" (what A-TW filter could prevent) can be very easily visible in that environment.
You probably have some idea of that.
Though not that VA is perfect with its dark black coming at expense of "black crush" causing horizontal gamma shift.
Also response times for some darker shade transitions are "challenging" for most VAs.
Though that Asus is also rather mediocre for IPS and beaten by some of the later VAs in many transitions.
While that Acer has quite fast response times.

Wish someone had been beating sense into marketroids to get development moneys moved from polishing same old LCD turd to actual new tech development.
And patent trolls (who possibly stopped SEDs development to viable level) should be just fed to sharks.

Anyway to avoid chaining yourself as Nvidia's slave in future, it's better to forget G-sync only monitors with good range of FreeSync monitors nowadays.

Associate
OP
Another alternative would be 32". (though IPSes are MIA in that size)
That would improve gaming immersion with bigger vertical image size while saving desk space.

Are there any you would recommend , i've been looking at the Lg 32 G-sync ?

Soldato
Typically for VA some transitions are "challenging" even using the most agressive overdrive with some overshoots:
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_32gk850g.htm#detailed_response
And unless wanting to chain yourself to be Nvidia's slave/cash cow it's better to forget G-sync only monitors.
If wanting to use their bank account also Intel could well be pushing out high performance cards in couple years and don't count AMD out from surpassing Nvidia in future.
It wasn't long ago that Intel had way bigger lead over AMD than Nvidia has ever had and it's now Intel which is starting to fall behind.

Samsung's curved panel seems to have less overshoot
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_agon_ag322qc4.htm#detailed_response

For IPS LG was supposedly to have 31.5" size panel (LM315WQ1) going into production with same tech as in 27GL850, which has excellent response times.
(some transitions beating even 240Hz TNs)
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/high_refresh_rate.htm#ips

AU Optronics has also one high refresh rate 2560x1440 listed in table.
But seems to be more interested on pushing 3840x2160, likely first used in [url="https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/asus-proart-pa32ucg-with-32-4k-ips-panel-120hz-vrr-1152-zone-miniled-backlight-and-hdr-1400/"]this Asus
(with Philips coming out with 120Hz VA panel to compete from gamers)

Here's other listing of coming monitors.

Despite of all the marketing BS advance of monitors has been miserably slow.[/url]

Soldato

I have the LG currently and while an excellent display for gaming it is not without its flaws.

I actually have the new Lenovo 240hz tn panel coming in a few days to hopefully replace it, was up for £650 so went for it. Was £1k at launch!

My thoughts on the LG:-
32” is nice, does add immersion over 27”.

However for general usage text and such is definitely less sharp over 27”. Compared to 24” 1080p.

The LG also does suffer with an odd bezel issue meaning if you sit too close you can essentially see the inside of the panels bezel which gives an almost translucent effect to the very edges of the screen. This is my main gripe with the panel as it means the screen has to be quite far back for this issue not to be present.

VA aspect is nice, no bleed or glow and even in pitch black it is a definite improvement over IPS with no visible glow or clouding or other such issues.

However it is still VA and as thus suffers from poor response times in challenging scenes over IPS and tn. Generally in game it is a non issue with the fast overdrive setting but in general usage it can be. Clear black smear/ghosting can be seen in browsers when scrolling, photos etc regardless of overdrive setting.

And again VA so does suffer from poor viewing angles and colours over IPS although they are not overly that bad and an unnoticeable difference in game.

It’s great for games. But in my opinion for general usage I’d still recommend to keep what you currently have or 27” due to increased sharpness over 32”.

Associate
OP
I have the LG currently and while an excellent display for gaming it is not without its flaws.

Well i pulled the plug on a Asus XG32VQR , i did this based on that i mainly game, i rarly do much else with my Pc these days , any office work i do on my laptop.

Whilst i appreciate that for professional use in depth reviews are helpful , but for purely gaming monitors i'd say that 90% of the micro stats mean nothing to many and just serve to confuse an already saturated market and make choosing a monitor more difficult . I want games to look good , colours to be vivid and good blacks and good response times and low lag.

Whilst i didn't want half the features of this monitor and the aesthetics are questionable it gets generally very positive buyer feedback, so i'll give it a shot and report back !

Soldato
Well i pulled the plug on a Asus XG32VQR , i did this based on that i mainly game, i rarly do much else with my Pc these days , any office work i do on my laptop.

Whilst i appreciate that for professional use in depth reviews are helpful , but for purely gaming monitors i'd say that 90% of the micro stats mean nothing to many and just serve to confuse an already saturated market and make choosing a monitor more difficult . I want games to look good , colours to be vivid and good blacks and good response times and low lag.

Whilst i didn't want half the features of this monitor and the aesthetics are questionable it gets generally very positive buyer feedback, so i'll give it a shot and report back !

Good shout I think and will be interested in hearing your thoughts. One thing the LG would benefit from is the curve that the Asus has. Thus helping to mitigate the lesser viewing angles of VA.

Not sure on the implementation of overdrive etc but being an Asus I’d expect it to be just as good.

I still prefer TN/VA over IPS when they are done well especially for gaming. VA is great especially for dark games. No IPS bleed/glow crap to contend with.

Associate
OP
Good shout I think and will be interested in hearing your thoughts. One thing the LG would benefit from is the curve that the Asus has. Thus helping to mitigate the lesser viewing angles of VA.

Not sure on the implementation of overdrive etc but being an Asus I’d expect it to be just as good.

I still prefer TN/VA over IPS when they are done well especially for gaming. VA is great especially for dark games. No IPS bleed/glow crap to contend with.

Well its arrived :)

Initial impressions :-

Its HUGE !

Very solid build quality

You can turn off the rgb sillyness :)

Brightness is high out of the box

G-sync flawless , no flickering , very smooth.

Noticed a little ghosting but with OD turned up to max i didn't notice any , but i'll play with this later

Colours are vivid compared to my last 2 ips screens and really pop, perfect for gaming.

Windows desktop looks sharp and actually better than my old 1440p acer 144

Blacks are BLACK!

No buyers remorse which is a first for me with a monitor.

Viewing angles seem very good but i don't have a habit of playing games viewing my monitor from the side......

I'll spend some more time with it tonight but feel free to ask me anything or to test something

Soldato
Well its arrived :)

Initial impressions :-

Its HUGE !

Very solid build quality

You can turn off the rgb sillyness :)

Brightness is high out of the box

G-sync flawless , no flickering , very smooth.

Noticed a little ghosting but with OD turned up to max i didn't notice any , but i'll play with this later

Colours are vivid compared to my last 2 ips screens and really pop, perfect for gaming.

Windows desktop looks sharp and actually better than my old 1440p acer 144

Blacks are BLACK!

No buyers remorse which is a first for me with a monitor.

Viewing angles seem very good but i don't have a habit of playing games viewing my monitor from the side......

I'll spend some more time with it tonight but feel free to ask me anything or to test something

Nice sounds good :). Makes me think I probably should have gone with the Asus from your initial impressions but not to worry as I got the LG extremely cheap and it’s still a great panel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom