Housing failure

Associate
There have been plenty of low priced starter homes built around the north east. Just the usual tit for tat political nonsense which the parties throw around. Progress in this country would be so much better if we could actually get rid of all this nonsense of party politics and have an opposition which works in a functional way instead of the disgrace that they currently are.
Even better would be to abolish party politics (ie. "representative" democracy) completely, and instead have a system of a strong constitution and direct democracy, with information about decisions front-loaded, so a question might go like this:
"Do you want to import ten thousand Syrians to live in your area? This is what it will cost you, this is how much the crime rate can be expected to rise, this is how many extra rapes you can expect", and so on.
Or, "do you want to give away £13,000,000,000 in foreign aid? This is how much it will cost you in extra taxes".
Then you'd find that people would make wiser choices.

Soldato
Where are the skilled tradesmen to build these homes coming from?

Around me there's about 15 different house building projects (some being added to villages who a struggling to cope infrastructure wise as it is) so new homes are being built, it's just the prices aren't being artificially lowered so people who can't afford a house can get in one.

The issue is that people are having too many children, humans need to stop the way we are over-populating the planet with our constant need to breed and as we are an island we only have a certain amount of space to build on.

Associate
* Citation required. Else you're simply making things up to suit your own limited experience and/or personal agenda.
I'm not going to cite anything. I want you to go out there and think, and find out things for yourself.

In terms of immigration from the EU, it hasn't cost us an enormous amount in terms of money.
However, immigration from non-Western nations has cost us an arm and a leg, and will cost us much, much more over the next three decades.
You will find this out, but your children and grandchildren will really, really find this out.

Associate
The issue is that people are having too many children, humans need to stop the way we are over-populating the planet with our constant need to breed and as we are an island we only have a certain amount of space to build on.
Not in the West.
The trick for us over here is to not allow ourselves to be used as a dumping ground for the world's excess population.
Let the rest of the world breed and fight it out, in the knowledge that they shall not be allowed to come to our lands.

Soldato
Not in the West.
The trick for us over here is to not allow ourselves to be used as a dumping ground for the world's excess population.
Let the rest of the world breed and fight it out, in the knowledge that they shall not be allowed to come to our lands.

Problem is we need immigration to fill any skills gaps we have, it just needs to be controlled more.

Associate
Problem is we need immigration to fill any skills gaps we have, it just needs to be controlled more.
Well, when people talk about immigration, then are usually talking about mass immigration.
Of course, if we need a particular skill and only a non-Westerner has it, then we can of course import a non-Westerner to fill this gap, but he would not have the right to citizenship, and when he is no longer needed, he can go home again.
He wins and we win.

Caporegime
Government has been paralysed over Brexit for 3-4 years. We've pretty much been ungoverned while a bunch of adult children play around in the house of commons.

Associate
Government has been paralysed over Brexit for 3-4 years. We've pretty much been ungoverned while a bunch of adult children play around in the house of commons.
Quite right.
It seems that they have confused representative democracy with direct democracy.

However, we get the representatives we deserve.
An ill-educated and immoral population will get politicians who will fleece them and betray them at every opportunity, as we have now seen.

Caporegime
Complete failure. Has any government or mayor actually delivered on their housing pledges? All I remember are several decades of varying failures.

Associate
Complete failure. Has any government or mayor actually delivered on their housing pledges? All I remember are several decades of varying failures.
Why would you want more housing?
We might need to build a few to cater for longer lifespans and family break-ups, but above this, why would you want to build any more? Do you hate the land? Do you want less places for the foxes and hedgehogs to live?

Permabanned
I'm not going to cite anything. I want you to go out there and think, and find out things for yourself.

In terms of immigration from the EU, it hasn't cost us an enormous amount in terms of money.
However, immigration from non-Western nations has cost us an arm and a leg, and will cost us much, much more over the next three decades.
You will find this out, but your children and grandchildren will really, really find this out.

So we should encourage freedom of movement and discourage immigration from elsewhere? Seems we have got that backwards......:p

Soldato
Define "population crisis", LOL.

Evidence shows it as a fact that all immigration combined is a net contributor to the economy to the tune of billions of £s per year.

But let's not allow the truth to spoil a pathetic mantra of unfounded bile.
It's okay guys because the tax revenue goes up due to immigration. Never mind the population problem. As long as you pay a lot in tax we don't care. Great attitude.

Caporegime
Why would you want more housing?
We might need to build a few to cater for longer lifespans and family break-ups, but above this, why would you want to build any more? Do you hate the land? Do you want less places for the foxes and hedgehogs to live?
Because there has been a growing housing shortage crisis compounded by poor governing and greedy practices.

Associate
So we should encourage freedom of movement and discourage immigration from elsewhere? Seems we have got that backwards......:p
Nope, we should have no freedom of movement, and more or less not allow it from elsewhere, but we can be fair about it.
So for example, if we need to import a particular engineer to live here for a few years then go home, and there is a choice, then we can ask them a question:
"Do you follow the teachings of a prophet who married a six year old girl?" If the answer is "yes", or believed to be "yes", then that one's not coming in.

Associate
It's okay guys because the tax revenue goes up due to immigration. Never mind the population problem. As long as you pay a lot in tax we don't care. Great attitude.
Remarkable, isn't it?
Yay, all that mattes is tax! Bigger and bigger government, yay! Nothing else matters, yay!

Soldato
There's plenty of homes being built but as house builders what to maximise profit they are mostly 3-5 detached houses that are 50% more expensive than the local average. 'Affordable' housing is a joke as well (as rental prices are also mental) but they aren't even meeting those targets.

Soldato
The report comes from the National Audit Office - you know - the one that actually works for the government.
So I call BS on your BS.

The report detailed *specifically* "starter homes" and help for young people. So regardless of your personal experience of a housing boom, the pledge made by the Tories clearly has not been delivered.

Here you go, seeing as you want hard facts.....

Green light for construction of thousands of new Starter Homes

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/green-light-for-construction-of-thousands-of-new-starter-homes

https://www.huntingdonshire.gov.uk/media/2765/housing-strategy-2017-20.pdf

https://www.scambs.gov.uk/media/12884/housing_statistical_information_leaflet_2018.pdf

so based on the local authorities info and what i see with my own eyes in my area, the OP is BS.

Associate
There's plenty of homes being built but as house builders what to maximise profit they are mostly 3-5 detached houses that are 50% more expensive than the local average. 'Affordable' housing is a joke as well (as rental prices are also mental) but they aren't even meeting those targets.
Half of what you pay in rent is down to the artificial increase in house prices caused by mass immigration.
I've been pondering for many years why those with rental properties are usually in favour of remaining in the EU, with all the mass immigration this offers. I ponder it, but I just cannot work out why.

Permabanned
Nope, we should have no freedom of movement, and more or less not allow it from elsewhere, but we can be fair about it.
So for example, if we need to import a particular engineer to live here for a few years then go home, and there is a choice, then we can ask them a question:
"Do you follow the teachings of a prophet who married a six year old girl?" If the answer is "yes", or believed to be "yes", then that one's not coming in.

I agree, in fact anyone who follows any god should be barred from entry.

Back
Top Bottom