***Death Stranding***

Associate
Ok, I'm going to be honest... Trailers 1, 2 and 3 all really got my attention and hyped for this game. Then they showed the gameplay, and I was totally bemused as to what this game is meant to be. Today it confirms my suspicions that it is an over-indulgent DPD delivery game with some wackiness and big-name actors to try and sell it. I'm thinking it's like walking into a very expensive restaurant with all the glitz and glamour to pay £90 for a plate of food that would be considered a crap appetizer in a more reasonably priced restaurant.

If this game had nothing to do with Kojima it would be getting absolutely annihilated, that is obviously my opinion of what I've seen... but usually I'm a good judge of things like this. Some of the reviewers I've seen comment on this game are reviewing it as an art form... not a game!

Still don't understand why he didn't go into the film industry when he left Konami! His passion is clearly telling stories, then he'd need not concern himself with gameplay.

Soldato
Walking simulator crap, and goes to show how much of the "reviewers" are just bought and paid for. Kudos to the brave few who went against the grain and still remember what the word GAME means.

You're obviously entitled to disagree with their opinion, but I don't think accusing them of being paid shills is particularly fair nor mature.

Soldato
couldn't give a toss what ign think of it to be honest. They've pretty much become one of the laughing stocks of the game journalist world and many were predicting that they'd be giving it a surprisingly low/lower than average review score. They know this serves as click bait that brings swarms of people to their site to click on the masses of adverts that they put on it.

ps i'm saying this as someone who more than likely won't be buying this game, has never played a metal gear game and doesn't have a man crush on kojima :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
couldn't give a toss what ign think of it to be honest. They've pretty much become one of the laughing stocks of the game journalist world and many were predicting that they'd be giving it a surprisingly low/lower than average review score. They know this serves as click bait that brings swarms of people to their site to click on the masses of adverts that they put on it.

ps i'm saying this as someone who more than likely won't be buying this game, has never played a metal gear game and doesn't have a man crush on kojima :D
Used to use IGN back in 2001/2 when they were one of the best around. I still remember reading the Resident Evil Remake review for the GameCube and was amazed by the graphics :)

Not been to IGN in probably a decade now.

Soldato
I love how people want unique and fresh games but when someone actually has the balls to make one knowing how divisive it'll be, suddenly the reviewers become paid shills (not saying some of them aren't), it's a walking simulator etc. And that's without even playing the game. Heck, there are people who call RDR a horse-riding simulator as riding and talking is what you mostly do.

Not defending Kojima here, not that big of a fan, though I think Snake Eater was a masterpiece. MGS5 had great gameplay and awesome Kojima details but the execution was pretty poor.

However, I think he deserves credit for making such games though, otherwise we'd be getting another Ghost Recon or Call of Duty. Death Stranding seems a bit too big and complex to slate it after some gameplay videos.

Even if it's a very polished weird DPD simulator with great graphics and new mechanics, what's wrong with that? Would an another bland shooter be better? It sounds good to me, especially knowing that the story, enemies and bosses are pretty amazing. I'll keep an open mind and wait, so far it looks like something I'd definitely play at some point. If it sucks, fair enough, but I won't label it bad before playing it.

Associate
The IGN review is fine, it's one of the few times the score actually reflects whats being described in the review. All his reasons for not enjoying it seemed perfectly fair, these things may not bother others but they did bother him and he's the reviewer. It's just one mans opinion, there will be thousands of people who think its even worse than a 6.8 so no idea why people get bent out of shape over reviews.

Associate
I've pre ordered it i was a little underwhelmed by the looks of the gameplay just delivering parcels but i like games that are different and original plus if i don't like it can trade it in and get most of my money back which you can't do with PC games i stupidly bought ghost recon Breakpoint terrible wish i could trade that in.

Associate
I love how people want unique and fresh games but when someone actually has the balls to make one knowing how divisive it'll be, suddenly the reviewers become paid shills (not saying some of them aren't), it's a walking simulator etc. And that's without even playing the game. Heck, there are people who call RDR a horse-riding simulator as riding and talking is what you mostly do.

Not defending Kojima here, not that big of a fan, though I think Snake Eater was a masterpiece. MGS5 had great gameplay and awesome Kojima details but the execution was pretty poor.

However, I think he deserves credit for making such games though, otherwise we'd be getting another Ghost Recon or Call of Duty. Death Stranding seems a bit too big and complex to slate it after some gameplay videos.

Even if it's a very polished weird DPD simulator with great graphics and new mechanics, what's wrong with that? Would an another bland shooter be better? It sounds good to me, especially knowing that the story, enemies and bosses are pretty amazing. I'll keep an open mind and wait, so far it looks like something I'd definitely play at some point. If it sucks, fair enough, but I won't label it bad before playing it.

You've perhaps summed up where my head is at, I do want a new experience from the stale tried and trusted formulas... I just don't want reviewers trying to pass this thing off as the greatest achievement in digital media, it's ok for it to score 6.8, but some people are claiming this game will win Game of the Year!
I'm still getting it, but I'm not expecting this to be a masterpiece!

Soldato
You've perhaps summed up where my head is at, I do want a new experience from the stale tried and trusted formulas... I just don't want reviewers trying to pass this thing off as the greatest achievement in digital media, it's ok for it to score 6.8, but some people are claiming this game will win Game of the Year!
I'm still getting it, but I'm not expecting this to be a masterpiece!

We don't know, a lot of the reviews mention its flaws but still acknowledge it as a unique and somewhat breakthrough experience. If someone wants to think it's great, then so be it.

Maybe it's just that good, I have no qualms with it getting GOTY. I won't convince myself it is or isn't a masterpiece without playing it.

Some people were saying how boring and overrated RDR 2 is and it became one of my all-time favourites so I hope to be surprised.

Soldato
Because its not a new or original idea to have extended walking sections in a game.
There is nothing original in fetch quests being broken up with story elements.

People are giving Kojima way too much credit for making an incredibly boring game. He may get a bit of a pass based on his previous work - but that doesn't mean the general population cant ignore obvious design flaws in DS. Other developers would not get the same leniency.

Soldato
Still on the fence with this game - but I know it won't be a day one from me at least.

The fact it might be a walking simulator doesn't bother me too much - some of the videos I have watched, makes it look like hiking in the Highlands, so that'll bring back nice memories; and at least the puzzle aspects (if you can call them that), might make it feel less like just walking around. Mind you, I do enjoy strolling around in KCD, so probably won't mind this :D

As for it coming form Kojima, I couldn't care less about that, I have trouble following his stuff tbh - it seems to be way out there, but if some love him, what do I care.

Soldato
Because its not a new or original idea to have extended walking sections in a game.
There is nothing original in fetch quests being broken up with story elements.

People are giving Kojima way too much credit for making an incredibly boring game. He may get a bit of a pass based on his previous work - but that doesn't mean the general population cant ignore obvious design flaws in DS. Other developers would not get the same leniency.

Have you played it? The way you tackle the environment is different + the social aspect and other stuff. It still has action, stealth and vehicles. We don't know how the sum of those parts works.

It's not giving too much credit, it's not giving useless and unbased opinions before experiencing the game. If it's not your cup of tea then all right but you can't possibly know how boring it is or how good/bad the story and all the mechanics are because you haven't played it. You're doing the same thing automatically slating it because it's not a stealth shooter.

I don't care about Kojima, I actually think DS would get more praise if someone else had made it, but I also won't parrot the few review that say it's bad as I can simply play it for myself and sell it on.

Soldato
Got mine from shopto today, so far i'm liking it a lot, yes there is a lot of cuts scene's but the cinematic flow of the game and the introduction of the mechanics and story have me hooked.

edit
Looks amazing on the Pro also

Back
Top Bottom