• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
2080 is 8% faster than the 1080Ti according to techpowerup relative performance. Across the whole range its pretty much the same, 2060 is 10-15% faster than 1070 (or same perf as 1070ti), 2070 10% faster than 1080 etc. Must be the lowest jump in performance in the history of GPUs. Its slightly better with the Supers being released but still really small.

Exactly, so rasterisation performance is a fail.

Associate
I belive it whist there are still many 2080ti cards over $999 no way will they bring the 3080ti down whilst 2080ti stocks are about. It will be first adopters tax. Sad thing is when the 2080ti's are gone and the 3080ti settles nearer to $1000 everyone will be saying its a good price!

Just to give you some real world terms if I had £1400 and the choice was between a 3080ti and a LG C9 OLED then the TV every time! ;)

But then you'd need the 3080ti to game on it @4k - Nvidia own the 4k crowd

Soldato
Its a shame the 2080ti is so expensive for what it is.. because of this every other card below it gets bumped up in price as well. Mid tier cards are creeping into what once was xx80 card pricing.

Soldato
Its a shame the 2080ti is so expensive for what it is.. because of this every other card below it gets bumped up in price as well. Mid tier cards are creeping into what once was xx80 card pricing.

People need to vote with their wallets, that would make them rethink their pricing.

Soldato

Exactly.

Lets not forget Nvidia have, multiple times, changed naming schemes to suit their agenda. Moving the tier name cards, whilst keeping the performance tier the same. You get the GTX680 which should have been called the GTX670, but wasn't. They launched the 680 as the flagship card when it was NEVER Nivdias flagship card for that generation. Media lapped it up though. GK104 chip was never the flagship card

https://youtu.be/Jd1bp9eSfwo?t=278

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Then complain when the 3080ti starts from £1400 with 10% performance increase over the 2080ti.
I have been complaining about prices for like a decade now, they just keep going up as people are happy to keep paying more. I still remember paying £200 for a flagship card at the time which was the Radeon 4870 :(

What typically ends up happening is I end up buying cards on members market and then selling them when done playing the games I want, losing little to no money in the process.

I will be buying a 3070 new on release though. That I think will run games fine at 4K for my low fps needs. Will then use DLSS/resolution scaling if needed in the future. That together with a PS5 will do the job. Already have a Switch anyways, so will have everything covered.

Soldato
I've just installed Gears 5. Frame rate at 3440*1440 is awesome, performance is awesome. The game doesn't support Raytracing. I can't think of the last game I installed that I felt my 1080ti couldn't handle. I also can't recall watching RTX gameplay footage and wishing I had it.

I've simply no good reason to spend £1000+ on a 2080ti never mind a 3080ti. With new cloud based services like Stadia releasing this month and new consoles releasing next year, I think Nvidia need to keep tugging on those udders before the white stuff drys up completely.

Soldato
I think the problem is people upgrade too soon, before there is a real, tangible improvement that you can see on the screen and be in no doubt that things have generationally changed.

I have a 2080 and barring the card going wrong, I will not be upgrading until the 40xx series of cards, circa 2022. I'm sure the 30xx cards will be good, the move to 7nm should ensure the jump in performance will be greater than that of the Maxwell to Turing one, but not enough to tempt me to spend big bucks on an upgrade less than 18mths after getting my 2080.

Waiting for the 40xx cards will give enough time for at least 2-3 fold improvement in raster & ray tracing performance.

Soldato
@Cooper I agree with that. In the past, I would buy a x80ti every release, just to treat myself. I never ever considered a Titan because I suppose I never felt I was worth that kind of outlay just to treat myself.

The RTX series has made me question what I'm actually getting for my outlay, and the answer is "not enough".

Soldato
I think the problem is people upgrade too soon, before there is a real, tangible improvement that you can see on the screen and be in no doubt that things have generationally changed.

I have a 2080 and barring the card going wrong, I will not be upgrading until the 40xx series of cards, circa 2022. I'm sure the 30xx cards will be good, the move to 7nm should ensure the jump in performance will be greater than that of the Maxwell to Turing one, but not enough to tempt me to spend big bucks on an upgrade less than 18mths after getting my 2080.

Waiting for the 40xx cards will give enough time for at least 2-3 fold improvement in raster & ray tracing performance.

Might be a good idea as we might get "Galaxians" next time round ! ;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Chances are unless I can sell the 3070 I buy in time before it depreciates a lot I will keep it for no less than 2 gens before upgrading myself and then put it in my partners pc. Before it used to be very easy to sell just before a new gen came out and add £50-100 on top and have the latest in the same class. Not as easy these days, but with rt performance likely improving a lot more gen to gen I will still try. Plus it is fun getting new hardware.

These days the GPU is the only hardware left that I change about a lot. My last CPU, Mobo and RAM lasted over 6 years. The rest of the things like case, mouse and keyboard from that build will likely go on to be used for another few more years meaning some of them will have lasted 10 years. I know my keyboard which is mechanical and backlit will go on to last 10-15 year’s before needing a replacement :p

Soldato
For me the decider on do I upgrade to a new card? is it 40% approx faster than my current card, if yes then I consider it (as long
as price is not extracting the urine bad)

Back
Top Bottom