Probotector / Contra Hard Corps - Megadrive

A friend of mine got given Probotector for Christmas 1994, which makes this game 25 years old now! I had trouble finding out info online about this, and eventually it turns out that it was also called Contra Hard Corps. Which was the most common name out of the 2? I suspect my friend had a regional copy, maybe from Japan?

It was my all-time favourite Megadrive drive game. I liked that only 20% of the game was "trash mobs" and the other 80% was a steady influx of bosses. Some very imaginative and some outright trippy.

It had 6 levels. 1, 3 and 4 were always the same however you played it, then there were two different level 2s depending on a decision that you made. Then you had to make another decision at level 5, so the decision there and the one you made earlier gave you 4 different permutations of level 5 (and the subsequent level 6 and end-bosses). Then each had its own ending for the game. There was also a secret ending on level 3 which ended the game early.

The range of weapons was good too. 4 different robot characters to choose from and they shared the same basic weapon then each had their 4 unique weapons on top.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Never played this on the MD, but I grew up playing Super Probotector on the SNES, one of my favourite games. If they are similar, I'll need to check it out.

Yup was going to say, only remember Super Probotector. Was OK, but alway thought of it as a poor mans Turrican II :D

Back
Top Bottom