#MeToo - is it just different for men and women?

Soldato
All of that would have been the same most likely, just in addition there would be cries of abuse of power and probably likening him to Harvey Weinstein or some-such.

Yes, fair point.

I think she's right to sue the media for those photos. It was enough to report the story, the photos were just vindictive humiliation. If there weren't rules in place to forbid relationships with staff then I don't even see that it's a story.

Caporegime
How would the Katie Hill thing have went down differently if she were male? I mean, story broke and pictures leaked then she resigned in "shame".

She would have been plastered all over every paper with headlines such as 'rapist' and 'monster', there would likely be criminal investigations spring up all over the place and she'd probably have to pay a number of people a lot of money.

Soldato
Yikes...

I've seen the photos after googling. Her saying if she was a man she'd still be in congress LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. No.

If you were a man you'd have been hauled over the coals far worse....

Man of Honour
Like the McDonald's CEO? Although to be fair he did have a no relationship with employees clause in his contract which is a little strange if you think about it

So did she. It's now part of the rules for anyone in the position she occupied. She supported those rules.

Yikes...

I've seen the photos after googling. Her saying if she was a man she'd still be in congress LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. No.

If you were a man you'd have been hauled over the coals far worse....

She played a role in creating new rules, broke those rules herself, got treated with sexual equality, complained about not getting the preferential treatment she thinks she deserves for being a woman and proclaimed that sexual equality is sexism against women. She knows her trade of gutter politics and I bet she'll continue do well out of it.

Soldato
It was the accusation of lesbianism that finished her. Half of the US are very prudish.

Sorry doesn't wash..... Here's a news article from before the furore over the pictures blew up

Ironically (assuming it was the ex husband that leaked the photos) he has considerably harmed his chances of getting a better finacial settlement out of his marriage now Hill has resigned...

She is also a member of the Congressional LGBT equality Caucus

The pictures didn't 'bring up allegations' that she was sexually attracted to women as that had always been 'out' in the open. ...

How would the Katie Hill thing have went down differently if she were male? I mean, story broke and pictures leaked then she resigned in "shame".

We would have had a lot less guff like this.....

Katie Hill’s resignation exposes the power of rape culture
What happened to her shows how female sexuality is so often weaponised against women.

If pictures had circulated of a male congressman engaged in a sexual relationship with a subordinate staffer in a three way relationship with his wife I expect we would have heard a lot more about how this was yet another example of the 'patriarchy' with powerful men abusing positions of authority for sexual gain.

Last edited:
Soldato
Compared to the utter insanity we've seen lately, i feel this is relatively harmless. Nothing inherently wrong with the commercial.

If you don't read the Sun/fb-feed to learn about this Katie Hill, the gendre pay gap seems the most visible part of the madness, still being heralded without any analysis of whether the job functions and skills are different so they're comparing adam and eve.

Looks like Apple are cashing in on the topic : ... do they donate monies to appropriate charities. ?
you can't make a show that includes the behaviour but you can virtue signal with a show calling out #metoo behaviour ... clever ?

http://www.reuters.tv/v/PfRW/2019/10/19/apple-to-debut-a-new-tv-show-tackling-metoo

some degree of irony as Annisten was part of friends, which is itself now heralded as edgy

Millennials watching Friends on Netflix have expressed reservations about the popular sitcom’s storylines, describing it as transphobic, homophobic and sexist.

While the show ran for more than 10 years until 2004, it arrived on Netflix at the end of last year in the UK.

The series, starring Jennifer Aniston, Matthew Perry, Courtney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc and David Schwimmer, remains one of the most popular shows in the US.

However, some millennials found LGBT plot points left them feeling “uncomfortable” – for example when Chandler was paranoid about being perceived as a gay man or made mean-spirited jokes about his cross-dressing dad.

Compared against previous popular tv shows .. cheers and Mash, come to mind, which were much more balanced. ... Kirsty / Hooglihan

Man of Honour
She did?

She's only been in office 10 months. When did she do that?

During her political career, which did not mysteriously start by her suddenly appearing from nowhere in that particular office.

Of course, that was the most minor point. The important point is that she's being treated better than a man in the same position would be and either lying about that for political gain or so extremely sexist that she's genuinely angry about not getting the vastly superior treatment she thinks women are entitled to. Other feminists are going much further and claiming that not giving women vastly superior treatment is rape, misogyny, blah blah blah.

And you're part of that problem.

Soldato
You think the average American knew that before it blew up on Fox News?

Why would the 'average American' know who one representative was from a total of 435 before a national news story blew up about them?

She was openly 'out' before all this blew up and it wasn't really an issue.

I just don't buy that her sexuality was the issue here. She resigned because even she had to acknowledge she had acted inappropriately.

When male execs's from companies like Intel and McDonalds have to go for having sexual relations with subordinates then I don't think we should be particularly impressed by the special pleading we are seeing here when a woman is the senior person involved

Man of Honour
Seemed to start fairly recently though, according to wikipedia.

As did the changes in the rules.

If you say so, I hadn't even heard of her until today.

If you hadn't studiously ignored most of both of my posts you've replied to, you would have known that the comment you're replying to was not solely or even primarily about her.

Soldato
I sometimes try to imagine how it would be if women were the dominant force in business and young men were the ones being pressured and taken advantage of. It sounds like fun but I reckon it'd wear thin very quickly, especially if an old, fat rich minger was constantly flexing it and trying it on. That would be a ******* nightmare.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I sometimes try to imagine how it would be if women were the dominant force in business and young men were the ones being pressured and taken advantage of. It sounds like fun but I reckon it'd wear thin very quickly, especially if an old, fat rich minger was constantly flexing it and trying it on. That would be a ******* nightmare.

No doubt it would but the problem is that simply put it works. We've probably all known a woman who has slept her way to the top. I certainly do and the she didn't really hide it. Likewise I'm sure a man has done the same too. It would just be more common in your scenario.
Unfortunately as long as there are people willing to get on their backs for work favours people will continue to take advantage of the opportunity.

Soldato
Should this dictum not apply to 55 year old Bonker Boris and 31 year old Carrie Symonds, the one-time PR guru for the Tory Party with whom he allegedly had a blazing row recently to which the Boys in Blue were invited :confused:

If he breached any rules for M.P's in place at the time then likely yes.

Were there any such rules in place?

Soldato
The last US political sex scandal I remember was Anthony Weiner: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Weiner_sexting_scandals

I think a lot of this metoo movement is more about a battle of female identity. There seems to be one side of women that want to act like men, and another side that is borderline extreme traditional womens role. I've noticed when it comes to female scandals, its often other women that put the boot in and finishes the woman off, whereas men tend not to be as condemned by other men or women.

Back
Top Bottom