Nice shop bought pasta

Soldato
Good Evening Gents!
So, we have recently being buying this pasta brand and we find it really nice. However Sainsbury`s have decided we are no longer worthy of this gem of a product. So i ask, when buying pasta products what brands do you go for?

Any online shops you recommend?

Thank you, if i dont see you good morning, good afternoon and goodnight!
:D

Soldato
Have you asked in Sainsburys ? This is that time of year when everything gets mucked around to make space for christmas stuff. It could only have gone temporarily.

We generally buy the fresh stuff as the kids seem to prefer it.

Soldato
Anything. Sorry for being a bit of a philistine, but to me, all dried pasta’s pretty much the same.

I'd agree with this.

Obviously there's a difference if you're buying wheat vs the regular stuff etc, but with like for like there's little to no difference.

There's certainly a difference with fresh, especially if you make your own over buying the supermarket pre-made.

Soldato
would have said cooking precision impacts taste/feel more than brand

savoury - don't regularly use spaghetti , use wholewheat, penne napolina or fueseli dececcho(job-lot) for mac'n, couldn't distinguish them , latter supposedly premium.
for lasagna often mix wholewheat JS and egg-based lasagna ... would say egg based has better texture.

pudding/sweet - white penne albadoro no82 for macaroni puddings

Soldato
on ''eat well for less'' recently , maybe last week but maybe the week before they had a bit about this. Greg Wallace laughed in the face of some students who where buying a more premium pasta saying that it was superior. They then gave them a taste test with 4/5 pastas and they liked the lidl or Aldi one the best :p

the main/only difference between the brands was a slight difference in shapes. tighter spirals or longer/shorter etc

Soldato
Greg Wallace laughed in the face of some students who where buying a more premium pasta saying that it was superior. They then gave them a taste test with 4/5 pastas and they liked the lidl or Aldi one the best
I think greg is laughing all the way to the bank .... the students other dietary choices, like most of his contestants rather invalidated their opinion in speaking for me, anyway,
seemed a no brainer not to have mentioned wholewheat pasta in that show. ....

in the same manner that one type of bread tastes better than another based on flour and manufacturing process, why should the same not be true of pasta.

Soldato
on ''eat well for less'' recently , maybe last week but maybe the week before they had a bit about this. Greg Wallace laughed in the face of some students who where buying a more premium pasta saying that it was superior. They then gave them a taste test with 4/5 pastas and they liked the lidl or Aldi one the best :p

the main/only difference between the brands was a slight difference in shapes. tighter spirals or longer/shorter etc

Are we not allowed to have favourites? Making illogical decisions is quintessentially human. I have a favourite teaspoon that isn't better than the others but it somehow pleases me more. The Rummo brand pasta wasn't the most expensive in Sainsburys; they have that stuff in the blue packaging (Di Cecco?). Higher than the budget stuff, certainly. Does it taste better? I don't think so.

Think of it as culinary Potlatch if you like... we aren't all on £100 a month food budget for two :D

Soldato
Sometimes the more expensive ones come in different shapes but apart from that its probably a placebo affect. We think the more expensive one is better therefor it seems better.

Associate
Another vote for De Cecco, it has a slightly rough texture (similar to Bronze Die) which is good for holding sauce, and cooked for 10 minutes it produces a good level of 'al dente'; it's available pretty much everywhere too which is nice!
For me the cheap supermarket ones have a bit of a limp texture once cooked.

Associate
The deluxe pastas in Lidl are bronze die, not sure if it's that what makes me like it. but to me it tastes much better than the usual dried pastas.
Typical tho, the last month my local store has no stock.

Associate
I use De Cecco, good for al dente, also sucks up and holds sauce very well, I make sure I use a big stock pot when cooking and salt the water heavily.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom