Need replacement 3/4 round posts

Soldato
Hi, I'm needing to get replacement 3/4 round posts for finishing the livingroom in our house.

Basically these bits... (the wood post itself has got the back carved out so the profile is kind of like the crappy circle/piechart.
1z02VFd.png

Anyone know what this is called? I'm thinking of just buying a wooden handrail and cutting out the back on a tablesaw or something as I don't know what to search for...

Cheers in advance,
Roy

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I dont know where you are, but if i ever need anything like this i'd have the local wood yard make it, you'll surely find most wood merchants have industrial tools on site to cut to order and shape things. My local one (oxfordshire) is very flexible like this. They'd just cut and shape this out of normal stick timber.

Soldato
OP
Wood moulding, I think.

Ha yeah, on the case with the "moulding" part :)

Tried:
- 3/4 round moulding (just get 3/4inch quater round beads...)
- 3/4 round trim (same thing)
- Staff bead (not it)
- Corner bead (no luck)
- Corner moulding
- Corbels
- Colunms
- Pediments
- Corner Posts
- Radius mouldings
- Victorian Corner protectors

I dont know where you are, but if i ever need anything like this i'd have the local wood yard make it, you'll surely find most wood merchants have industrial tools on site to cut to order and shape things. My local one (oxfordshire) is very flexible like this. They'd just cut and shape this out of normal stick timber.

Unfortunately wood merchants isn't something that's really local up my way. Likely going to have to get something like this done but just order it online/

Annoyingly this isn't even my photo just a random one I found online while looking for painters - but it looks almost identical to what we've got. I've also seen it in other houses in the past - so it's not something totally bespoke or anything...

EDIT: Getting someone with "full round", "dowels" and "finials" for the top bit, but still not found what I need :(

Last edited:
Associate
Silly question, what's wrong with the ones on there? Pics look ok? Is your property listed or similar?

They're quite cool, but definitely bespoke so going to cost a pretty penny.

Soldato
OP
Silly question, what's wrong with the ones on there? Pics look ok? Is your property listed or similar?

They're quite cool, but definitely bespoke so going to cost a pretty penny.

That's not my house, just a random photo I found online that happened to have exactly the same thing - I wasn't even looking for them when I found the photo :D

So yeah, they're not 100% bespoke because they're identical to something someone else has in their house somewhere in the world - but they are proving hard to find replacements for!

Like I say, worst come to worst I buy a pair of banisters, cut out the back and get my dad to turn some wood to create the tops. But if I could just find out what they're called I'm hoping I can just get them delivered for the weekend! :D

Associate
That's not my house, just a random photo I found online that happened to have exactly the same thing - I wasn't even looking for them when I found the photo :D

So yeah, they're not 100% bespoke because they're identical to something someone else has in their house somewhere in the world - but they are proving hard to find replacements for!

Like I say, worst come to worst I buy a pair of banisters, cut out the back and get my dad to turn some wood to create the tops. But if I could just find out what they're called I'm hoping I can just get them delivered for the weekend! :D

AHHHH - right that explains. Personally, I wouldn't bother with them unless you had to (i.e. English Heritage insist). However, I would say they are bespoke as that's not something off the shelf and, the house is going to be old, so a proper chippy probably made those on site...

You probably can't find a name for them as they simply don't exist anymore. Perhaps try some of the heritage lot i.e. English Heritage, might be able to help?

Associate
You could adapt a section of mopstick hand rail, its flat on a section already which should aid notching it,

The mill where I work could also make that profile to the size you require and I would assume any other company with machining capability could, only problem with a company like where I work would be the cost of making the tool. Would depend on how much you needed if that was viable

Back
Top Bottom