Boiler repair man. What would you do?

Soldato
The central heating stopped working a few days ago so I called the local engineer who I've used for years. He had a look, made a few calls for advice on my particular model and concluded that because the hot water was still working, it was a motherboard fault and it would need replacing. About £300 all-in.

He came to install the board today but the problem remained so he set about diagnosing the fault from scratch and concluded it's actually the pump at fault. Apparently it's working to a certain extent, which is why we still have hot water, but not enough for the central heating to work.

Ok, so he's now going to order a new pump.

I then asked him about the motherboard, and as the problem appears to be with the pump, the replacement motherboard is no longer needed. He said that his supplier won't take them back so I'd still have to pay for it. I explained that didn't sit well with me but he wouldn't budge and even said it could actually be the pump and the motherboard at fault, and that I've saved money over the years by using him instead of alternative engineers.

What would you do?

Permabanned
Tell him where to go, he misdiagnosis the fault so should carry the blame/cost.

He was not a mate doing you a favour he is a tradesman doing on the side work.

Associate
If you want him to do work for you in the future for whatever reason then I would pay for the motherboard part only (no labour) for his first attempt. Keep the old one too just in case you have issues in the future. I've had a few boards replaced over the years so it does no harm to have a new one installed at part cost.

Soldato
OP
do you have the old board ?
pass him the new one back and tell him he is no longer needed.

Yes, I have the old board. The new board is in the boiler.

The thing is, he's always been very good in the past and I don't want to **** him off if I can help it. On the other hand, I don't want to pay for something I don't need either.

Soldato
OP
If you want him to do work for you in the future for whatever reason then I would pay for the motherboard part only (no labour) for his first attempt. Keep the old one too just in case you have issues in the future. I've had a few boards replaced over the years so it does no harm to have a new one installed at part cost.

Bingo. That's what I'll do. Thanks, sorted.

Permabanned
Have you paid him the £300 yet?

You feel bad because he cast up he has saved you money over the years but does that mean he can screw you over for £300 now and what other ball-sups will he make in the future?

Keeping a spare or two as a home user (not a business) is not a bad idea if its a few £ like a seals or diaphragms etc but not a £300 motherboard which is one of the most expensive part of most boilers.

He now has not saved you anything, break even tell him to get lost.

Caporegime
Plumbing is a right mess to diagnose.

I've had 3 experienced guys come to do various jobs and they have never got it right first time, some even got it wrong on the second attempt too and needed a third.

In the en suite all I needed was a new thermostatic valve. he made me install a shower pump first as the flow rate was poor he thought a pump was needed then when the shower still didn't work properly we put a new valve in but now the pump is sucking too much hot water too quickly (and he's installed it in the shower rather than at the tank) so it goes cold quickly as it can't get a feed quick enough. you need to turn it off after 3 mins and let it wait for 5 seconds to build up then start again. I do have a very powerful flow now though and it would cost me money to get rid of the pump so it is what it is. point is all i needed was a new valve not a pump and valve. i installed the pump on his recommendation and at the shower on his recommendation.

the other issue was similar to yours. i had a failing CH pump in trying to fix it myself i broke the diverter valve. then the guy wired up my nest thermostat wrong. so i had to get the stat fixed by another guy who did it all correct. then get the original guy to fit a new valve and pump.

i still don't think my boiler is 100% hot water will come on randomly during the night or sometimes during the day. i am unsure if this is a built in legionella safety feature or the electrics are going. electric boards fail over time. no board will last forever. they have a lifespan of 5-20 years max.

i would have before replacing the board in your scenario tried the diverter valve and then the pump first as both of those are much cheaper to replace. you can usually see the date on them too. my valve was 1997 and my pump must have been the same. so my boiler is 22 years old. it's still going strong. i'll likely need to replace it within the next 10 years and when that time comes I'll likely do a full overhaul of the full system. the pump they fitted wasn't the one I wanted as it wouldn't fit, etc. i'll also get the shower pump moved to where it should be. the issue is the cold feed is from the attic and the hot feed from the first floor. IMO he should have just hooked the pump up to both hot feeds at the tank to feed both showers rather than at the en suite shower and to the hot and cold there.

homes are such a hassle when things go wrong it's a constant money pit. i've also realised most trade folk that are "cheap" don't have a clue yet the guys who are dear cost a small fortune to the point you would be better off just buying a new build every 10-15 years where you don't have to fix anything and leave before things start failing.

Soldato
You should NEVER pay for something that is clearly not the problem. He is the engineer. He is the one who should have the knowledge. He is passing the buck to you.

Refuse. Tell him you not paying for new mobo. Seek a more professional plumber / engineer

Permabanned
I know we live is a disposable economy but a disposable house?

The new boilers unlike the older Vokera's etc from 25-30 years ago are not going to last 10-15 years and the new houses are build crap also.

Soldato
It was 10 years ago, so memory is hazy, but pretty sure we had a problem like this in our old house - hot water but not heating (or vice versa, I forget). I figured it was probably the synchron motor on the switch valve. About £12 from B&Q. Would have been a simple job except the first one I bought was faulty (some cheeky monkey had brought back their old one in the packaging, I'm pretty sure), but otherwise only 15 minutes to figure out how to swap them over.

Sgarrista
Commissario
he's always been very good in the past

Let me introduce you to ratedpeople.com

I just had a plumber re-arrange some central heating pipework to accommodate a new radiator, put the ad up, had 2 people contact me within 5 minutes, checked the reviews of the one guy, 50+ all 5 stars. Hired him, he just left having done a fantastic job for cheaper than my old regular plumber.

I used to think knowing good people in the trade was a rarity, now with sites like that, I just stick up a new ad every time.

Man of Honour
Dunno how it works in terms of who pays for it but sometimes it might be impossible to narrow down an issue without removing certain things, which will be costly, from the equation first. So complicated one - though sounds here more like he just went with whatever was the first most obvious possible cause rather than do an actual diagnostic job which is something I'm finding increasingly the case over industry as a whole these days :(

Let me introduce you to ratedpeople.com

I just had a plumber re-arrange some central heating pipework to accommodate a new radiator, put the ad up, had 2 people contact me within 5 minutes, checked the reviews of the one guy, 50+ all 5 stars. Hired him, he just left having done a fantastic job for cheaper than my old regular plumber.

I used to think knowing good people in the trade was a rarity, now with sites like that, I just stick up a new ad every time.

I think stuff like this is slowly having an impact broadly - quite a few companies we have dealt with while going through extensive renovations have certainly upped their game customer service wise compared to what it used to be like.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies, fellas. They're much appreciated.

I've sorted it.

I rang the boiler manufacturer and had a good chat with them. They confirmed the parts suppliers do not accept returns on PCB's that have been opened and they weren't at all flexible on the matter. They also advised that in future I contact them directly because they do boiler repairs for a flat fee of £270 all-in for parts & labour. Lesson learn't and that's what I'll do in future.

I have contacted my local guy again and asked him whether the pump he's getting will be returnable if it doesn't solve the problem and he says it is, and if it does fix the problem then he'll do the pump at cost and not charge me for a boiler service (which was due now anyway).

So, I've told him to go ahead and I'll keep the old board on one side as a spare because they are a common point if failure so it'll probably come in handy at some point.

No hard feelings and everyone's reasonably happy.

Thank **** for that. I could have done without that today, I've got enough on my plate.

Soldato
Yes, I have the old board. The new board is in the boiler.

The thing is, he's always been very good in the past and I don't want to **** him off if I can help it.

why not? if that's his attitude and his capability is a £300 bill for an unneeded product you're stupid if you continue to use him in the future.

Back
Top Bottom