Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
Looking at the new Mavic mini for my first drone.

The specs say that it will accept a phone upto 160mm in length. These days a lot of phones are much larger.
Ive currently got a Honor 8x which is 160.4mm, any idea is this will fit the remote?.

Caporegime
Associate
Did it last night as looking to take to the skies this weekend - straight forward enough just need to sort out a sticker with the ID code

Caporegime
Seems dumb that you have to redo the test every 3 years yet your operator ID which needs to be on the drone can change yearly.:confused: Would it not make more sense for it to change after the test is done again after 3 years?

Just as well I've one of those little hand held label printers.

Soldato
Hey people.

Now that aliexpress is selling 4k drones very cheap.
I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a follow me drone?

I want it to follow me when I am out in my electric wheel chair.
It will be used in fields and country roads.

There's shed loads of them https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal..._20191111075344&SearchText=4k+follow+me+drone
and I don't know much about them.
Thanks

EDIT= Just found out all round me is a big blue circle that means I can't fly one in it :(

Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Soldato
Easy enough to find one these days as most have basic follow me functionality. The thing is though non of them will be any good at it.

They will very unlikely have any collision detection so the first tree in the way will probably be the last. You'll need to spend 400+ at least to get something worth using on a regular basis.

Caporegime
Just done mine for my mavic pro drone. Managed to get 18/20 first time, a lot of it is just common sense really with the theory test.
Now I just have to find a label printer to print off the operator label and attach it to my drone.

Soldato
30th Nov if you aren't a member of FPV UK, BMFA, LMA, or SAA.

If you are a member of any of those, you're exempt from the scheme until 31st January 2020.

EDIT: You're only exempt from registering as an operator (ie the £9 option). You still need to register as a pilot (flyer ID) unless you have a competency certificate (BMFA 'A' or 'B' for example).

I only found this out yesterday as it wasn't very clear from the BMFA's communications. Only when clarified by a BMFA employee on Facebook did it become clear.

The BMFA will be putting up its own quiz (including an offline version) on Monday at the latest.

I'll be getting that the day before I go flying, and not a minute before.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom