Things I don't like (TIDL) thread

Soldato
My brain attempting to calculate how many emails I have waiting for me after 5 days off.

It’s Sunday night, STFU brain.

Let us know if you break the 43000 I had after having the week before last off ....

(Whoever set up the monitoring at my current employer is completely incompetent ... Not that I have a high opinion of the others either given that 2800 were for some alerting which had been enabled on the Friday morning and then no-one did nothing about its constant spewing of emails and left it over the weekend)

Soldato
People react in different ways under stress.
You obviously have a ton to deal with right now.
Yeah some people laugh at utterly inappropriate things. Guy was probably nervous inside having you talk very serious at him.

A very good mate of mine got legless at my dad's funeral, spouting junk like I love funerals can start drinking from 9am and it's all great. Obviously **** that drove me very close to my limits too. Can't say we ever saw eye to eye the same after that day. He ended up killing himself, so yeah he had his own plate full of issues too.

Yes, it's an extremely difficult time. I had no idea how crap some friends, doctors and even family can be (some have only been in touch a couple of times since she has been unwell, others not at all!). Most seem clueless as to what's going on and six months on, we're still no closer to a diagnosis. In fact her GP stopped her regular checkups and investigations about a month ago, saying something about resourcing and "we're here if she needs us", even though she was/is still clearly very unwell. A bit like a plumber walking out of a building with water dripping down the walls, saying "just call me if there's a problem".

My focus is on my mother and I don't have the energy to fight them any more. It probably wouldn't do any good anyway and could land me in trouble and make things even worse for her. I'm doing my best for her, **** the rest of them.

Last edited:
Associate
My focus is on my mother and I don't have the energy to fight them any more.

Not good friends if they're making life more stressful.

Don't forget to try get some rest yourself though, I do all the time and end up being so exhausted I can't wake up, completely wrecks you.

Soldato
Not good friends if they're making life more stressful.

Don't forget to try get some rest yourself though, I do all the time and end up being so exhausted I can't wake up, completely wrecks you.

Thanks, I appreciate that. It's not just those friends, it's the whole kit & kaboodle. It feels like no-one else is doing their bit, GP included. I now view them with contempt and consider them more a hindrance than a help (I told them this after one GP booked a home visit and never showed up. It was a Bank Holiday! They can't even get basic admin right).

We will get through this though, with or without them. I'll make damn sure of that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pet peeve at the moment is people who treat the pavement as an extension of their driveway i.e. the arse end of their vehicle is sticking out covering the entire width of the pavement and you have to step out into busy traffic to walk around it. The pavement is not extended parking!

The r/CasualUK subreddit.

I like a lot of the posts there, and the stuff that hits the front page is always good. Also good to poke fun at yourself as a nation regularly.

But the only way to actually survive if you contribute is to play some kind of working class hero. If you don't pretend you grew up on a council estate (I mean.. I did and i still struggle) you'll be mocked and downvoted and your opinion is dirt.

Very annoying.

Thats just Reddit in general. Redditors gotta reddit.

Associate
Pet peeve at the moment is people who treat the pavement as an extension of their driveway i.e. the arse end of their vehicle is sticking out covering the entire width of the pavement and you have to step out into busy traffic to walk around it. The pavement is not extended parking

**** I was about to post this,

People are pricks around here and we have a narrow walk way to a few key shops in town. So many times estates and suvs block the pathway for wheelchairs, pushchairs and even sometimes just walking.

It doesn't take 10 seconds to get out of your vehicle and check it is parked sensibly...I do, no one else seems to. Just check this google maps snapshot of that rangerover ***** and the 2 cars beside it.

Is it really that bad to assume I dont want to wheel my daughter or misses across the parking lot when there is a path designed for that particular reason?

LKN2seL.png

fVl6Dzp.png

Last edited:
Caporegime

similar issue in London albeit sideways on rather than the rear of the cars etc... from people paling half on the pavement even though it is illegal... if I had to use a wheelchair or a pushchair I'd be half tempted to run a key down the side of the offending cars that blocked the pavement.

Soldato
Having half a molar (the really big one at the very back) and its roots left in my lower jaw after my dentist had a go at wrestling it out but ended up just snapping bits off it instead about 6 weeks ago. Sometimes a stray peanut wanders over there and I accidentally bite down on it, which makes my eyes water a bit.

I was supposed to hear from the hospital about a follow-up within a week or two. I really must chase it up.

Soldato
Public transport :(

The train service between Peterborough and Cambridge is just shocking. Trains constantly late or cancelled, old knackered bone shakers and usually only a couple of carriages crammed to the gills :(

And £90 a week for the privilege of using it!

Man of Honour
People who say “i could care less” instead of “i couldn't care less”

ok, if you could care less then whats the problem.

I may have posted this before, if so, I’m sorry for the repeat, you don’t care for it? I could care less, Jean-F.

I'd like to go over a few good reasons why people say, "I could care less." The list does not include "because they're stupid and have no idea how logic works." It turns out, there are a number of things about English that conspire to make "I could care less" a less irrational phrase than it might seem.

1. Sarcasm

A number of language writers have suggested that "could care less" has a sarcastic reading, conveying something like "Ha! As if there were something in the world I could care less about." There are some American Yiddish-inflected phrases that work this way, like "I should be so lucky!" (meaning "there's no way I'm ever gonna be that lucky") or "I should care!" (why should I care?). Even if "could care less" didn't originate from a sarcastic intent, it matches up well enough with these other forms in the language to help give it staying power.

2. Positive/negative phrase pairs

Why use "could care less" if we also have "couldn't care less"? There are other pairs of phrases in English about which you could ask the same question. Why say "that will teach you to leave your car unlocked" when you really mean "that will teach you not to leave your car unlocked." Some other phrases that can mean the same thing with or without the negation:

You know squat about that. You don't know squat about that.

I wonder whether we can make that work. I wonder whether we can't make that work.

You shouldn't go, I think. You shouldn't go, I don't think.

I can hardly wait. I can't hardly wait.

Again, there's an existing framework that helps "could care less" blend right in.

3. Implied comparison

Evidence for the use of "could care less" goes back to 1955, with "couldn't care less" appearing only about 10 years before that. But long before that the phrase "No one could care less than I" was in use. Think about how you might respond to such a phrase in a certain type of conversation. "I've never been so insulted in my life! How dare they imply such a thing! No one could care less for the trappings of fame than I!"

"I could, darling. I could care less."

The rest of the comparison, "than you," is left understood. Perhaps "I could care less" also carries a shadow of the original phrase and a hidden comparison. "I could care less … than anyone."

4. Idioms don't care about logic

People might not have any thought of sarcasm, positive/negative phrase pairs, or implied comparison when they use "I could care less," but when they use it, it's as a set idiom, something they've heard before and learned as a unit. We have plenty of idioms that serve us perfectly well, despite the gaps in logic that appear if you look at them too closely. Consider "head over heels" (shouldn't it be heels over head?) or "have your cake and eat it too?" (shouldn't it be eat your cake and have it too?) or "the exception proves the rule" (shouldn't it be the exception invalidates the rule?). There are reasons these idioms developed the way they did, but we don't have to know anything about those reasons, or the original meanings, to use them perfectly sensibly. Same goes for "I could care less," which people only ever use to mean "I couldn't care less," never the opposite. It doesn't cause legitimate confusion, though it does cause quite a bit of consternation. In any case, it's here to stay.

Associate
Three sports-related TIDLs:

Rugby snobbery:
There is a certain section of sports fandom and reporting that has a holier than thou attitude towards rugby in comparison to other sports (i.e. football). It's played by 'men', it's honourable, fair, sporting - basically all a bit British stiff upper lip. Then I watch instances e.g. where players are rabbit punching their opponent repeatedly and can only laugh. Some of the worst instances of violence on a sports pitch I've seen > rugby.

Language apologists:
Every live game of football now seems to include multiple instances of commentators apologising for fruity pitch-side language. It's a live game, there are microphones - I doubt there are many viewers expecting anything else! It's no doubt a reflection of complaint culture and the level of faux-offence in society, but I find the repeated apologies unnecessary.

F1 commentary:
Specifically, the interaction between commentators and pit-lane reporter. Every time there is any sort of dialogue between Croft and Kravitz and driver radio traffic comes in, the former will shut down the discussion so we can hear yet another banal driver moan or irrelevant comment. Is it necessary? Does it add to viewer satisfaction? Can these updates not be held from playback for the extra few seconds to bring the discussion to a conclusion? Maybe it's just me, but when this happens 10-15 times per race, it is properly irritating.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Losing a software key when you want to install a prog on another (substitute) computer. I'm rusty, there's gotta be a way - other than simply porting the hd between boxes.

Man of Honour
On the subject of vehicle related ones - a road I often take to work someone has taken to parking their vehicles on a blind bend that is already a narrow road causing chaos - people coming from one direction can't see the hazard before they are on top of it and people the other way can't see what might be coming before they have to pull out! but the people parking there don't seem to give a **** - though I appreciate parking is challenging in the village and the council or whatever hasn't done anything to try and alleviate the problem it is still causing a fair few near misses when I've been through.

People and parking in general seems to be increasingly inconsiderate and brain dead.

Soldato
People who own you money and make excuses when not paying it back.

Had to file a small claims court case against a so called friend who I've known for over 10 years :mad:

Back
Top Bottom