Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I have read reports of people cancelling and then signing back up a week later after disconnection in the same name as a new customer.

Can't say if it works though.

Associate
I think its a combination of both, but if you live in the same house together that you own and your wife signs up instead using the same surname and address, it wont work.

Maybe there's a loophole where your wife, if she uses her maiden name, can get away with it but im not entirely sure how it works

The post you replied to stating it wasn’t possible clearly states it is his girlfriend so your ‘same surname’ issue wouldn’t be a factor.

Also several people have confirmed they have signed up for new accounts at the same address with the same surname without issue.

I’ve never needed to do this personally as I’ve just argued the price down each time my contract has ended.

Associate
I'm thinking about moving to Virgin on the 100mb fibre only and was wondering how flexible they are when it comes to installing the feed into the house and the location of there hub?

Current plusnet/bt fibre modem is in my office on the second floor so hoping virgin will install in the same place

Soldato
I'm thinking about moving to Virgin on the 100mb fibre only and was wondering how flexible they are when it comes to installing the feed into the house and the location of there hub?

Current plusnet/bt fibre modem is in my office on the second floor so hoping virgin will install in the same place

They'll run it where you want as long as they don't have to lift floorboards or get into the loft. It's often easier to have them run a cable up the side of the house and straight into the room you want.

Associate
They put a point upstairs for me.

They'll run it where you want as long as they don't have to lift floorboards or get into the loft. It's often easier to have them run a cable up the side of the house and straight into the room you want.

Thanks, hopefully they will be able to do the same for me too - will have to have a tidy up in the office before the install date!

Just ordered M100 package for £24 a month with £75 cash back.

Hopefully the ping will be decent.

Just gone for the same offer :)

Associate
Been with VM for 4 years (200mb / phone line i didn't use / lowest tv package i didn't use = £54 p/m). We're moving house soon so on a total whim i went into the virgin media shop in town to ask what they could do for me. I've now got 200mb and a phone sim (i'll probably never use) for £33 p/m - i'm well pleased! They put me on as a new customer (wife's the new named account holder - but contact number and email address are still mine). I'll have to renegotiate again in 12 months to stop it going up by too much - but very happy with the service from the team in-store - wouldn't have had any chance getting that over the phone! Plan is to ask them to take the sim card off in 12 months and see if i can get it down a little further - but will have to wait and see on that....

Soldato
I have read reports of people cancelling and then signing back up a week later after disconnection in the same name as a new customer.

Can't say if it works though.

While it’s been a few years since I had any direct involvement with VM personally or professionally, within 30 days you are considered an existing customer and shouldn’t be able to book a new customer install, the sales process clearly stated no credit check and it’s keyed as a reconnection. It also stated it’s the rep’s responsibility to manually check the previous address for debt etc. as part of keying the order - people were actually disciplined for not doing this as it’s seen as obtaining a financial advantage via deception/misrepresentation on behalf of the sales rep. In the good old days, you got full credit check results and would see financial links with other people at the address and the timescales they overlapped etc. as at one time people would run up debt in one name and then book an install in a partners name. Now it’s just a pass, fail or a referral to risk for POR and/or deposit/credit limits to be set. Either way, unless something is wrong, you should always be able to get a better deal via retentions than a new customer install, at least as far as the headline price goes.

Soldato
My discounts are ending this month, at which point my 350 will go back up to full price.

Not sure about trying to get another discount (not that I ever seem to get the big discounts others do) as I'm wary of committing for another 12/18 months as I'm not sure what's happening with FTTP in my area next year.

Associate
While it’s been a few years since I had any direct involvement with VM personally or professionally, within 30 days you are considered an existing customer and shouldn’t be able to book a new customer install, the sales process clearly stated no credit check and it’s keyed as a reconnection. It also stated it’s the rep’s responsibility to manually check the previous address for debt etc. as part of keying the order - people were actually disciplined for not doing this as it’s seen as obtaining a financial advantage via deception/misrepresentation on behalf of the sales rep. In the good old days, you got full credit check results and would see financial links with other people at the address and the timescales they overlapped etc. as at one time people would run up debt in one name and then book an install in a partners name. Now it’s just a pass, fail or a referral to risk for POR and/or deposit/credit limits to be set. Either way, unless something is wrong, you should always be able to get a better deal via retentions than a new customer install, at least as far as the headline price goes.

It's not something I would try myself. Just repeated what I had read another person saying they had done. On the face of it, it sounds like it might not work to me.

Retentions have always been decent in deals in the past with me. Not this year though, they didn't even offer a deal, just booked the disconnection. No calls came after. This seems to be repeated by what others are posting on various discount sites. Virgin are obviously taking a different approach to rententions, which is their choice of course.

I got a new customer deal of £15.60 p/m for phone and 50MB. Retentions would have laughed down the phone if had asked for that.

It's a game, no problem, I'll play and while the music plays I'll dance!

Soldato
I just called VM cancellations and threatened to cancel because I'm paying £47 for 150mb. I told the bloke I know of people (all from this forum) paying £43 for 350mb and £33 for 200mb and £24 for 108mb. He offered me £33 for the 108mb and I said no I want £24. He said that's the best he could do so I said let's go ahead and cancel my account which he's now done and said it'll be disconnected on 12th December.

Now I don't know what to do because I was calling his bluff and hoping he would give me the price I want and not let me cancel.
Should I have gone with the £33 which is a lot better than £47, or are VM likely to call me to try and keep me and offer me the £24?

Edit: actually, I just looked at the VM offers for new customers and the M100 broadband he offered me for £33 Is actually £35. Maybe I should call them back and take his offer unless anyone thinks they're likely to call me and offer me less? Otherwise, can I assume his offer will stand and I have 30 days to change my mind before they disconnect me?

Last edited:
Soldato
So you tried to call their bluff and they ended up calling yours. That's the risk you take when threatening to cancel.

You can obviously wait until the last moment before disconnection to change your mind but of course the £33 deal may not be available then.

Soldato
So you tried to call their bluff and they ended up calling yours. That's the risk you take when threatening to cancel.

You can obviously wait until the last moment before disconnection to change your mind but of course the £33 deal may not be available then.

I've posted in this thread before and been told to actually go through with a cancellation and then they'll come to me with a revised offer. So that's what I've done and it remains to be seen if they will do that.

Back
Top Bottom