Using temperature sensors - plug-type, inline, display?

Associate
Hi everyone. I'm planning my first water loop to go in a Lian Li 011 XL. I'm thinking of getting the distro plate, a top & bottom res, and putting my Ryzen 3900 and 2080 Ti under waterblocks.

I figure I could probably skip putting a water temperature sensor in it, but I'm a nerd who likes data, so I thought I might get one. I have seen plug-type ones that connect to a spare 1/4" fitting, or I could go inline, with the coolant travelling through the sensor. What's your experience of sensor types, and which kind would you recommend?

In each case, I connect the sensor to the motherboard directly (planning Asus Crosshair VIII), don't I?

What are your thoughts on sensors?

Man of Honour
I have a pair of Phobya inline water temp sensors that have a LCD display connected to them and they do the job nicely. They screw into anything with a G1/4" thread and then you screw the compression fitting or whatever you are using into the other end. I also have one that screws into a spare res port or "T-Piece" but prefer the inline ones.

Soldato
I have both and work fine. Prefer inline, though.

Yes you can connect the sensor directly to that board, it has the appropriate header, though I have not used ASUS's software (use an aquero)

Temp sensor's are nice as usually you can control the fan speed based on the water temp. The ideal thing about this is usually water temperature goes up and down in a more gradual fashion so the fan profiles similarly ramp up and down more smoothly. Looks like you can use the temp sensor header on that board and in combination with AI Suite 3 make fan profiles based on that.

Associate
In my new planned build I've got a bitspower stop fitting which will plug into the 2-pin temp sensors on my Corsair Commander Pro. I'll then run the fans off the Pro in tune with liquid temps.

Back
Top Bottom