Spec me an LED Torch

Transmission breaker
Don
My order just went on hold. How good is it?
Will see if I can find some pics and video I took later when I am back at my PC.

It throws a lot of light, but it's very unfocussed but the added reflector they made improves this greatly.

I stopped using it often, mostly because its bulky, too power hungry and basically too bright to use without annoying others :D

Transmission breaker
Don
My order just went on hold. How good is it?

http://maltopia.co.uk/manylumens1.mp4

The video does not really do it justice. Causes the camera to adjust and hides the real power!

That was it without the full parabolic reflector in a modified crappy torch:

CustomTorch5.jpg

CustomTorch6.jpg

CustomTorch4.jpg

As it was mocked up when I was testing on an old 4 cell:

CustomTorch1.jpg

http://maltopia.co.uk/manylumens1.mp4

The video does not really do it justice. Causes the camera to adjust and hides the real power!

That was it without the full parabolic reflector in a modified crappy torch:

CustomTorch5.jpg

CustomTorch6.jpg

CustomTorch4.jpg

As it was mocked up when I was testing on an old 4 cell:

CustomTorch1.jpg

Thank you. That’s really cool. Just wish I could get hold of one ASAP.

Soldato
I recently got an UltraFire WF501B, my first 18650 torch. Very impressed compared to my old AA Fenix torch that cost ~3x as much ~8 years ago.
I've go four 18650 batteries from Fogstar... tempted for another, maybe a head torch. Can anyone recommend a waterproof, 18650 head torch for under £30?

Associate
Can recommend the Skilhunt H03 head torch (not the rechargeable one, just the basic model with TIR lens). I used a couple of them hiking in Yosemite over the summer with the family and they were great. I picked them up from Gearbest for under £30, but delivery will be 2-4 weeks. There also appears to be one ebay seller with them at £29.99 and shipping from the UK.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It was that time again, 2 years ish since I last greased up the threads and o-rings on my 2 lights. On light forums nobody seems to be able to confirm the grade of stainless steel used on the solarforce l2t ss but I've had it since launch and the quality hasn't diminished one bit so I'd imagine at least 316L. It's also very thick and very heavy.

The Lumintop Prince had oxidised substantially and had some nice patina patterns but I wanted it shiny again so used Autosol on it.

Anyways, pics...

irYHpXA.jpg

ibU0oz5.jpg

6pyj6wi.jpg

wgeUXIj.gif

The Lumintop uses a Cree XML2 U2 1000lm (3 modes inc moon)
SolarForce drop-in has been upgraded over the years and uses a Cree XPL 1600lm (4 mode inc moon) and OP reflector (bit of a Frankenstein job as I swapped out bits from other drop-ins)

Both LEDs have been reliable, they stay in the car boot year round and continue to just be workhorses on every urbex/walk/trail etc.

For the total price I think these two have been the best torch purchases to date and can't see myself needing anything more powerful ever again, and I've had those massive lights that take 3x 18650s before!!

Soldato
Can anyone recommend some rechargeable AA batteries?

I've admittedly not used my pile of rechargeables for a while, but I dug out a mix of Energiser, LED Lenser, Eneloop and Lidl/Aldi nimh ready to use batteries. The Energiser, LED Lenser and Eneloop are all OK. The Lidl/Aldi are reported as "bad" by my charger and it won't charge them.

I'm looking at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WNSB4YX/ currently.

Anything at a similar pricepoint that is recommended? Amazon is awash with unknown brands, but a lot of the 1 star reviews report failures.

Eneloops are far too expensive, but my findings with the batteries I have suggest that it's worth buying better quality in the long run.

They'll be for general use - games controllers, remote controls, torches etc. If the drain is too great on any of these, I'll switch back to disposables on a case by case basis.

Back
Top Bottom