Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
I would start with 6-8 Green Neons, you can always add more later if you want. They do tend the swim at the front and mid-too so will be visible most of the time.

Soldato
Pigmy/Pea puffers can be super aggressive, others can be pretty tame. It varies hugely.

I wouldn’t put them with shrimp.

Most will only eat frozen blood worms when you get them from shops which make them a right pain as the cubes are way too big unless you have loads in a big tank and going on holiday is a problem. Getting them off frozen onto dry is really difficult.

Some will only take live too.

Soldato
The innovative Marine gourmet, aye bang on, works well for me when I work away I just tell the Mrs to pop a couple of blocks in once a day, no waste to go down overflow as well as all eaten before it gets a chance.

yeah thats what im looking for. Hows the magnet looking i had one of their nori feeders and the magnet rusted

Associate
Pigmy/Pea puffers can be super aggressive, others can be pretty tame. It varies hugely.

I wouldn’t put them with shrimp.

Most will only eat frozen blood worms when you get them from shops which make them a right pain as the cubes are way too big unless you have loads in a big tank and going on holiday is a problem. Getting them off frozen onto dry is really difficult.

Some will only take live too.
Had 6 in a shrimp tank for ~ 18 months, the puffers are way too slow to catch the shrimp or the shrimp themselves are just too big, besides that cherry shrimp are what, 50p each if that!?

Soldato
Don't think I'll be getting pygmy puffers. :p
But don't think I'll be getting anything soon unfortunately, got a bit of a water problem.

Did a 50% water change on Sunday and turned my CO2 back on today, had it on really low. CO2 had been off for a few days to let my shrimp acclimitise.
Tested my PH and it's dropped down to 5.7, KH is 0, GH is 6.

Not sure what's gone on, I did my normal water change, RO water with Salty Shrimp GH/KH+, I did top it off with a little straight RO, but I would say that it was less the 5% of the water change.

I've turned off my CO2 to see if my PH rises, but why has my PH dropped so low and where has my KH gone?

Is this something to do with my Tropica Aquarium Soil?

Soldato
Don't think I'll be getting pygmy puffers. :p
But don't think I'll be getting anything soon unfortunately, got a bit of a water problem.

Did a 50% water change on Sunday and turned my CO2 back on today, had it on really low. CO2 had been off for a few days to let my shrimp acclimitise.
Tested my PH and it's dropped down to 5.7, KH is 0, GH is 6.

Not sure what's gone on, I did my normal water change, RO water with Salty Shrimp GH/KH+, I did top it off with a little straight RO, but I would say that it was less the 5% of the water change.

I've turned off my CO2 to see if my PH rises, but why has my PH dropped so low and where has my KH gone?

Is this something to do with my Tropica Aquarium Soil?

Maybe to much RO water. UK water is usually 7-8PH (will say 7 straight from the tap) and really hard. But it's best not to mess with the water really. It's better being stable.

Soldato
Got my water stable and got 5 green neons in my tank.

But I've got another problem, I've been bitten by the bug. I want a marine tank now.
Been close to 15 years since I had a reef tank, which was a 5ft, but not looking for anything near to that size now.
Looking at between 24"-36", either using ND Aquatics or Prime Aquariums, they seem to have nice setups with sumps.

I really am torn on what to do, get a 24" to cut down on expensives and maintenace or get a 36", which will give me a more stable tank and of course more options for corals and fish.
Or just be happy with my nano planted tank...

Associate
Always go as big as you can because it gives you more stability and room for more interesting fish.

This is what I am beginning to think after a visit to Maidenhead Aquatics and seeing tanks in person earlier today. I was looking at 55/60L tanks but thinking go bigger for better stability and getting varied fish long term.

Does anyone have any recommendations for tanks between 80L to 130L? I was looking at the Juwel Primo 110 or Juwel Rio 125 but not really sure what to look for or at in this bigger range.

I can just about get away with a tank 80cm ontop of my sideboard.

Thanks.

Soldato
It’s less about being able to hold the weight, the wood doesn’t need to be particularly thick if it’s braced correctly. Being braced correctly is the key.

Wood flexes when you put weight on it and often isn’t straight/flat to begin with.

It’s all about can it take the weight without flexing. The surface needs to be completely flat and stay completely flat when you put the tank on it. If it isn’t completely flat or the surface flexes when you fill the tank up the tank will likely crack. It may crack after 5 mins, may be a month. There isn’t really anyway of knowing.

You also need to think about for the wood will handle getting wet.

Associate
It’s less about being able to hold the weight, the wood doesn’t need to be particularly thick if it’s braced correctly. Being braced correctly is the key.

Wood flexes when you put weight on it and often isn’t straight/flat to begin with.

It’s all about can it take the weight without flexing. The surface needs to be completely flat and stay completely flat when you put the tank on it. If it isn’t completely flat or the surface flexes when you fill the tank up the tank will likely crack. It may crack after 5 mins, may be a month. There isn’t really anyway of knowing.

You also need to think about for the wood will handle getting wet.

Thank you for your valid points and explanation on how I could go wrong. It sounds like I either need to get the appropriate matching fish tank stand or go for a smaller tank to prevent any issues being placed upon my sideboard.

Back
Top Bottom