GAMING THIS GENERATION ........POOR

fez

fez

Caporegime
Iirc, I paid £60 for Goldeneye, but I digress. Surely, these expectations, are simply a byproduct of progression? Tech has moved on massively, and that in-turn has allowed developers to be much more creative in their visions; and in-turn the scope of games grows massively.

Are you saying that tech has allowed us more scope for larger games and more complex ideas or are you saying its easier than it used to be to make a game? I could be wrong here but gaming was never worth much money compared to today and the amount companies spend developing large games is huge. Yes you are developing at a much higher level with all the tools available but the scope and size of games has more than compensated for that improved speed of development.

Soldato
I'm a lot more sensible now with my game purchasing as I'm older with a mortgage and a crazy partner so I find I'm not buying games as much. The ones I do get excited about I find I'm a lot more happier to wait a year for a cheaper finished version of it with all the dlc and patches out for it. I'm also in the middle of going through my steam library alphabetically and finishing games that I bought and never touched. I only have a few hours a week and I'm still on assassin creed origins it's gonna take ages to finish that then I'll be onto oddyssey afterwards. I'm in no rush I'm not dieing and by the time I get to cyberpunk I'll be on a pc with a 4020super Nvidia card haha

Associate
It's a strange generation as it's probably the biggest gen in terms of revenue and sales, gaming has now overtaken Hollywood, however there seems to be more quantity than quality, too many remastered games for my liking, and this generation hasn't had a native GTA or elder Scrolls (online doesn't count) and the birth of free to play and microtransactions is a disease

Associate
I'm a lot more sensible now with my game purchasing as I'm older with a mortgage and a crazy partner so I find I'm not buying games as much. The ones I do get excited about I find I'm a lot more happier to wait a year for a cheaper finished version of it with all the dlc and patches out for it. I'm also in the middle of going through my steam library alphabetically and finishing games that I bought and never touched. I only have a few hours a week and I'm still on assassin creed origins it's gonna take ages to finish that then I'll be onto oddyssey afterwards. I'm in no rush I'm not dieing and by the time I get to cyberpunk I'll be on a pc with a 4020super Nvidia card haha

I have a friend whose literally going through his entire back catalog and completing 100%, to the point he is a huge GTA fan and to this day he still hasn't touched GTA5!
For me, I don't like repetition. Some days I will fancy playing Resident Evil, other days FIFA, others Destiny... I like to have variety. I do still manage to complete games, this year I set about "completing" BotW on Switch and I won't 100% but I've done all shrines and beat Ganon, I'm happy with that and can move on.

As for Gaming this Generation being poor, I think I've not experienced many fresh games/genres like I have done previously, and I put that down to Age/Time. I was really looking forward to Death Stranding and must admit now, I'm skeptical... but I'm going to give it a go, if I don't enjoy it then fine, but it does sound as though it will be a fresh experience.

Associate
OP
It's a strange generation as it's probably the biggest gen in terms of revenue and sales, gaming has now overtaken Hollywood, however there seems to be more quantity than quality, too many remastered games for my liking, and this generation hasn't had a native GTA or elder Scrolls (online doesn't count) and the birth of free to play and microtransactions is a disease

this for me hits the nail on the head in terms of quantity over quality , i feel that due to the massive revenue for gaming now its a case of lets just re-release a popular game and the name alone will bring in millions .

my latest purchases which i do enjoy playing

fifa 19 broke on release and still being patched to date

apex -- was great to start with but the companies insistence to put paid for skins and weapon camos above making more maps and in game weapons and fixes and made this become stale ,

modern warfare ------ really sad about how this has turned out as the original was my fave game ever but this is just a mess and you can tell a lot has been taken out of it ready for you to pay some more money in the shape of a battle pass also its basically broken and needs fixing

wwe 20 not brought this yet and thank god , another game broken on release ! rumour is they lost the rights to the engine from the last one so decided to use an engine from like 8 years ago which didnt even have female models in it and they basically put wigs on male characters .

shadow of mordor shadows of war ---- ingame transactions and grinding ruined which is a shame as the first one was right up there with the best games out .

im not against trying out new games or even remastered games ,

what does really annoy me is games that come out that are not finished and the devs know they will need patching . they are not bothered about the customer anymore.

Soldato
Are you saying that tech has allowed us more scope for larger games and more complex ideas or are you saying its easier than it used to be to make a game? I could be wrong here but gaming was never worth much money compared to today and the amount companies spend developing large games is huge. Yes you are developing at a much higher level with all the tools available but the scope and size of games has more than compensated for that improved speed of development.

That one

I'm 31 and feel the same as the op. Convince me I'm wrong please.

There have been some great games some what recently that I've sunk 100 plus hours into, such as botw, kingdom come, but there's many games in between that I've tried and just can't be bothered to play. I feel the lack of decent coop games is what is really missing. Not online but good work together coop games.

Id like to play subnautica but it's single player, outer worlds same issue. This new star wars game I have zero excitement to play. I never gave battlefront 1 or 2 a thought to purchase as they were big let downs.

I wish every week there would be a game that would draw and friends into it.

Soldato
I'm 31 and feel the same as the op. Convince me I'm wrong please.

There have been some great games some what recently that I've sunk 100 plus hours into, such as botw, kingdom come, but there's many games in between that I've tried and just can't be bothered to play. I feel the lack of decent coop games is what is really missing. Not online but good work together coop games.

Id like to play subnautica but it's single player, outer worlds same issue. This new star wars game I have zero excitement to play. I never gave battlefront 1 or 2 a thought to purchase as they were big let downs.

I wish every week there would be a game that would draw and friends into it.

Here you go (also available on consoles)

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/divinity-original-sin-ii

Associate
This generation has had a plethora of good games. Whilst aggressive monetisation is a bit of a blight: If we look, historically, at previous generations we see similar odious things that we don’t really see now (remember how, in the mid 2000s PC ports were universally terrible?)

Associate
The console updates have been the worst for me - I've not spent as much time playing this generation due to having two children - so I've had a couple of occasions where I've been unable to jump in and play straight away. Not having the time means I've held out more for the GOTY / Complete editions. Overall it hasn't been too bad a generation, played quite a few good indie titles we just wouldn't have seen two generations ago.

I don't buy skins, weapons or any of that guff, but may buy an expansion that is worthwhile, so I can see that tainting things depending upon what games you play.

Back
Top Bottom